Pod Your Reef

New Coralife 150 watt MH clamp on light.

aquaman67

I have no idea about converting it. It looks like a big metal log. It gets pretty warm and stays warm even after it's been off for a while. I am not familar at all with ballasts, and I don't even know for sure what type this is. It doesn't say anywhere on it what type it is...

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am pretty sure it is magnetic since that is what they use on their pendant...and by its description, also sounds magnetic...shouldnt be that hard to DIY...just too much money for the electronic ballast.. maybe something to do few years down the road.

I've had the clip on for a week now. It isn't too bad, I personally like the 20k bulb. But to each their own. Anyway...mheiden I have a 12g Jali Bowfront that's about 12" wide. To help compensate for the wide gap on the screw on clip, I placed a cut block of wood behind the tank and in between the clip. This brings in the inside clip in the tank. I'll try to post some pictures later.

I don't think that the ballast is magnetic. It's pretty quite and doesn't make any noise like my previous DIY ballast from hellolights.

I initially wanted Tek lights, but my fiance liked the look of the MH and I just got the PSP so if I wanted to get lights I had to go for a more affordable system. The Teks would have been almost $400. So it was MH hands down.

well, just because it is quiet doesnt mean it isnt magnetic... the shear fact that it is kind of log like tells me it is magnetic... the electronic ballasts and usually flatter and rectangular ...guess I will wait and see for myself...tank is just starting to clear up from my mini crash (aka cycle caused by addition of LR) so i am ready for the new halids...

and anyone who needs a via aqua silver hood with practically new lights, let me know, mine is up for sale.

G

You can't take out the top screw and flip the light? The screw I mean is the one that lets the light slide forward and back, not up and down.

brassmonkey

thank you chronicle for the bad ass paint sceme, it works and i would have it any other way perfectly over my tank not limping over the tank

post-25-1112226890.jpg

Now that I see that it flip around, this light is now an option for me. It looks as if it may even sit over a 10 gallon just right.

Thanks for the pics Brass

brassmonkey

yep cut the main slider, not that stupid wire lol

other mods thinking of,

covering top, to cut light leaking threw vent holes

pyrex glass sheld, instead of open vent to seal this bad boy, may call for fan upgrade

and well you seen the support flip

Thank you for sharing. That won't work for me because I have my tank right up against a wall and if I flip it the arm extends too far back. But, I'm sure that helped out a lot of people.

Originally posted by Jazzman

mheiden - How much light are you getting from the sides of the unit.  I have a 30 gallon cube that I would be interested in adding this light too.    

The one thing I hate about MH is the light lost throught the sides.

one reason so much light gets projected to the sides is due to reflector shape. The best shape to direct light down is an upside-down vee, like this:

/o

you don't want reflectors in an upside-down circle, or arc, because this will direct light to the sides instead of down.

the difference:

/o

_______

vs.

| (o) |

_______/

Many plant growers know this but aquarium enthusiasts don't, i've noticed...

The ballast is magnetic and here's why. This was taken from the post below from speakerguy and is talking about the Coralife 150 pendant. The 150 pendant and the clip on light use the same ballast.

"It is magnetic, and yes that is what you want for an HQI/double ended bulb. Technically, I believe you want an ANSI spec M81 magnetic ballast for a 150w HQI.

See, they call them 150w, but the bulbs really pull more like 200 or so when connected to an HQI ballast (like they're supposed to be). A 150w electronic ballast will only give them 150w - 170w, which is slightly underdriving the bulb (dimmer/more blue looking).

I know this sounds odd, but there's lots of data that will help explain it at lighting.reefs.org"

This is the whole thread.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=53812

This is a copy of an e-mail I got.

Jack,

The ballast used in the Aqualight Advance is magnetic.

Thanks,

Scott

=======

Subject: Coralife Aqualight Advanced Series Hang on tank fixture

Is the ballast for the the new Coralife Aqualight Advanced Series Hang on tank fixture magnetic or electronic? I've ordered one from you and it's due to me Monday.

Thanks,

Jack.

I have mine but haven't had a chance to hook it up yet. I have to mod my canopy first.

Nice light...I think I want one.

Couple questions for those who have one...

Any obvious heat issues (water temp) and does the actuall pendent get very hot?

Also I noticed there was an option for either the coralife bulb or a XDE bulb. What is the diff? Is it worth 5 more bucks?

One more thing, is the fan on it adequate, and is it noisy?

Thanks

May I just say that I'm struck again by 1) the ingenuity of folks on this site and 2) the ineptitude of manufacturers. I mean, if hobbyists who do this as a pastime can mod this product to make it so much better w/out a lot of work, why can't manufacturers do even better? I think it's sad how many mods people have to make to products to make them work well. But I digress...

I was wondering. For the 150 watt halide, what is the difference between the XDE 20k and the radium 20K? which is better? Radiums seems to be more expensive then the XM made by hellolights.com. Can anyone tell me from their experience? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by calvin

May I just say that I'm struck again by 1) the ingenuity of folks on this site and 2) the ineptitude of manufacturers.  I mean, if hobbyists who do this as a pastime can mod this product to make it so much better w/out a lot of work, why can't manufacturers do even better?  I think it's sad how many mods people have to make to products to make them work well.  But I digress...

From my experience engineers are educated and very intelligent but not very smart.

Archived