Pod Your Reef

New Coralife 150 watt MH clamp on light.

aquaman67

I emailed Jeremy at Premium Aquatics asking about the UV glass issue with this fixture. He said it came with a UV filtering glass sleeve around the bulb that could be used with any brand DE bulb.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterswimmer

I spoke with the engineer at Coralife about the UV. Their bulbs are encased in UV protective glass. THERE IS NO NEED TO KEEP THE UV SHIELD ON THE FIXTURE. This was assured to me by the design engineer himself.

As a matter of fact I spoke to him about a pre-surface skimmer box for the Coralife Super Skimmer, similar to the Remora & Pro, and he said they are currently NOT working on one. However, he did say it was a great idea and something they will at least consider as an option on future designs.

Russ

Is anyone actually running a non-coralife bulb (ie phoenix 14k), without extra glass and using only the stock cylindrical glass for a fairly long period of time? Have you noticed any UV damage?

got mine from ups yesterday blub in 3 pieces and glass copletly broken. big als was real cool with the return new one is already on the way. but looking at the packing ill be amazed if it shows up not broken.

Emailed Coralife asking if they were currently making any changes/mods to the fixture and if there were any plans for a 250W version.

The reply was no mods were being made and no 250W version was in the works for this light.

masterswimmer
Originally posted by Frankb1

Emailed Coralife asking if they were currently making any changes/mods to the fixture and if there were any plans for a 250W version.

The reply was no mods were being made and no 250W version was in the works for this light.

Same info I got when I spoke to their engineer. However there was one new mod they did do that is appropriate for arguss66. They said they only ship the lights palletized to their wholesalers. The wholesalers and retailers are shipping them with a shipping label stuck directly to the box. It was not meant to ship that way. They've added more styrofoam and packing material to accomodate this inappropriate way of retail shipping. They always intended for the box to be placed in a box for shipping. Obviously only the newer shipments will be packaged this way.

Russ

mine was the light in foam and a box in a box with buble wrap on the outside. if this is what you are talking about, just a heads up to anyone whos buying this light try to look inside the box to make sure bulb is not broken and if it comes shipped try to be home and make ups guy wait as you open it so at least he can witness that it is broken. it will help your claim if its broken.

masterswimmer
Originally posted by arguss66

mine was the light in foam and a box in a box with buble wrap on the outside. if this is what you are talking about, just a heads up to anyone whos buying this light try to look inside the box to make sure bulb is not broken and if it comes shipped try to be home and make ups guy wait as you open it so at least he can witness that it is broken. it will help your claim if its broken.

Excellent suggestion.

I just bought a used coralife clamp on and I'm very pleased with it so far. The light though looks more like 10K then the reported 20K. I've read through the whole thread and don't think this has been answered. If I get a Phoenix 14K bulb, will I have to get additional UV protection or is the splash guard sufficient?

I just ordered one from Hellolights, I am curious, what is the "shimmer" effect of this light? How low to the water can you get and still get that pleasing MH shimmer?

ok i finally recived mine unbroken. but i was taking the hood off my nano and it CRACKED anyway it was a huge mess a giant crack from top to bottom on the back.... well i saved almost all the water and luckily i had a brand new 40 breeder with a stand so i put all the water in there put the coarl and rock in buckets fillrd the rest of the tank with ro and put everyone in. man that sucked but everything appers to be good so far. new light is on breeder and looks great. now im just not sure if it is big enough for 40 breeder. jbj sucks im kind of happier with the new tank just hope everything lives.

I too am running the 14K bulb with this fixture. Other than that, my light is stock and doing very well. I am the person that posted pictures way at the beginning of this thread. I have had the light for months and all is well. As for UV protection, the glad sleeve is glass, so it provides protection. Now I do know that some light could leak out around it, but that would be minimal. My tank is doing well, with no UV damage...... Heat is the only issue, and even that is OK.

mine is also doing gret corals look better than ever... but i just ordered the 36 inch aqualight pro now that i have the bigger wider tank plus ill be able to do full light cycle with the pro. i miss moonlights.

masterswimmer

Finally got my clamp on light today. Also got my CSS 65 today too. Looking forward to this weekend when I might be able to start hooking things up.

Hey brass or anyone who's done the mod,

That mod you did to reverse the mounting bracket is kicka$$. Thanks.

Just one question though. I took apart the arm. The slider that you cut to reverse has the wires going through it. Where did you cut the plastic slider? One side has the mounting screw, so that side is out. Did you cut one of the two very short ends?

Thanks for your help. Is yours still performing up to your standards?

Again, thanks,

Russ

25000 views, 244 posts and not one person has an answer to my question? I know you guys are helpful, but now I'm wondering, do I smell or am I offensive in some way?

Come on, I can use some help,

Russ

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I get my Coralife advanced 48 inch this Friday. It comes with two 150 watt 20 K bulbs.

It will be running on my 72 bowfront. My LFS told me not too worry about the blue hue in it, said it's a lot nicer looking than the 10,000 K bulb.

I did see a single 150 watt running 20 K bulb and it appeared not too bright, he said it's because he has it risen a lot higher than on a set of legs.

We will see, I can hardly wait to see it's color in my tank.

Mike

• 1 month later...

has anyone figured out if the glass shield that comes with the light fixture provides adequate UV protection for non-coralife bulbs? Seems like we have both yes and no answers.

Can someone post a pic on how you added the extra glass shield and did the sheild heat the lamp to extreme temps. I saw something about Coralife saying temps in the 160 degree range.

• 2 weeks later...

any1 can help me adding a pc light to this fixture; i really want an actinic; any help or info or pics with mods r going to be greately appreciated

thank you :D

Archived