inTank Media Baskets

Whitten's 30 Oceanic...Money Pit.

Whitten

just discovered this thread. Nice tank, Whitten!! As a fellow Alabamian I'm proud. Wish we had more nano-reefers in the B'ham area. There seems to be several around where you live.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are right Kogut it really is a good center piece coral. I just can't wait until all all my other colonies are grown in. I am going to be building a calcium reactor this summer so that I can better feed my corals, but for now I will stick to my Kalkwasser.

I guess I should go get a test kit again shouldn't I..hahah. I haven't tested my tank for params in so long. I just know when stuff is right and when it is out of whack. I do have a calcium and Alk test kit that I use but as far as PH and the rest I really need to get some of those quick test strips just for a fast basic reference. This weekend I will be finishing up my refugium hopefully and then I will have less issues with small cyano I have been having. Seems to be just the last of a little cycle.

Calvin, thanks for the kind words man. Glad I could peak your interests. We have been trying to get a small reef club together here in Auburn and so far it has been kinda hit and miss but hopefully next semester we can get some more interest generated.

Ok I give here are some shots of the new additions from today. Things really should be in much better shape by tommorow. Added a bit of Kalk tonight to get the PH up a tad, as well as the Alk. I am going to add a bit of liquid calcium just to see how things go and to see if it does ok.

The tank as of 5/1/05

DSC03894.JPG

Orange Digi.

DSC03898.JPG

Blue Green Saramentosa

DSC03905.JPG

Orange Monti Cap

DSC03904.JPG

Blue Tort, Green Slimer, Brown Digi, Green blue Unkown Acro, and maybe my new pink Milli?

DSC03907.JPG

Cool Macro Shot

DSC03902.JPG

Aubie showing some attitude.

DSC03915.JPG

Originally posted by Whitten

Calvin, thanks for the kind words man.  Glad I could peak your interests.  We have been trying to get a small reef club together here in Auburn and so far it has been kinda hit and miss but hopefully next semester we can get some more interest generated.

Oh, we have a reef club in B'ham, just very few of them are nano-reefers. And what is it with Auburn people naming their animals "Aubie?" My neighbors across the street have a dog by the same name! The next time I get a cyano outbreak I'm goin to name it "Roll Tide!"

Originally posted by calvin

Oh, we have a reef club in B'ham, just very few of them are nano-reefers.  And what is it with Auburn people naming their animals "Aubie?"  My neighbors across the street have a dog by the same name!  The next time I get a cyano outbreak I'm goin to name it "Roll Tide!"

That sounds fitting. Ahahaha :P

Those are nice frags Mike - I'll be paying a visit to that "LFS" of yours soon :).

Speaking of everything named Aubie (nothing in my tank goes by that name BTW :)). My wife's parents went to school at AU with a couple that named their kids Whitney Tiger and Pepper Wareagle.

Pepper went to Georgia...

• 1 month later...

Update for 6/5/05

Got a few updates and some pics of the tank comming soon.

First thing is first I got off my lazy you know what and finally finished my fuge. I am glad becuase it was really starting to bother me.

I now have a calcium consumption issue as well as a need for a skimmer. The only problem is that I have no clue where it is going to go. My thinking is that I am going to have to build an auxillary tank next to the tank just large enough to house a Protein Skimmer, and possibly a Calcium reactor...I like using up tons of Calcium it makes me feel cool.

Anyway, here are some pics of the fuge. I will post pics of all the corals soon. As soon as I get done taking my Structures test on Wednesday.

DSC03943.JPG

DSC03946.JPG

DSC03948.JPG

Ok so I cracked and did a full tank shot and a little close up on the SPS. Only a month and they have already started to grow. Once I get the Calcium reactor built I hope they get huge.

DSC03956.JPG

DSC03957.JPG

Originally posted by The Speez

Where is the General Lee?

Must have taken it off one too many jumps....er maybe Boss Hogg Stold it....Why do you ask?

YAY to your tank looking great!

nay to the stinky confederate flag! BOOOO. :D (i'm sure it means something entirely different out in georgia compared to what the country guys take it to mean out here in CA. out here they tend to think that a confederate flag entitles them to be racist bastards...while out in the south i'm sure it's more about embracing your heritage or something.).

Originally posted by yoshiod9

YAY to your tank looking great!  

nay to the stinky confederate flag!  BOOOO.  :D  (i'm sure it means something entirely different out in georgia compared to what the country guys take it to mean out here in CA.  out here they tend to think that a confederate flag entitles them to be racist bastards...while out in the south i'm sure it's more about embracing your heritage or something.).

Nah we are just racist bastards too....J/k It is heritage and imbred idiots like those who feel that the Civil War was fought only because the South wanted to keep slavery are the reason why the South gets such a bad rap. I am sorry to see that the confederate flag takes such a negative connotation with so many because it truely has so much more history behind it than just the opressive behavior that most want it to be associated with.

Anyway, thanks for the complements. I am trying my best to try and get some better pics out of my little Sony but it is so hard to get anything worth looking at. I really want to do some good Macro shots but it is dang near impossible.

Also Tigah Boy I need some of your advice on a Skimmer for my system. I have been looking at the Euro Reefs but they are to expensive.

yeah, i've found that i need a drastic upgrade if i want semi-decent macros (i've got a panasonic dmc-lc43). i forgot to mention this earlier...you really need to clean off your side panes of glass. lol. sooooo green!

Oh and you aren't kidding either. The issue with the right side is the huge Remora Pro that has been temporaily hanging on that side. I have been trying it out and it has been doing great but keeps me from being able to to my magnet scraper on that side. My excuse for the other side is...I don't have one, I guess it is just lazyness. Either way after I get some time I am going to scrape and and clean a bit and then take some more pics.

well i cant speak from personal experience but ive read this thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...8&highlight=css

and it seem that the Corallife Super Skimmer isnt too bad of a skimmer. It utilizes the same needle wheele method to create micro bubbles as the Euro Reef skimmers do. Now im not saying that this skimmer is comparable to the euro-reef's but i would certainly consider it; for it is much cheaper. Mostly everybody in the thread that decided to try the skimmer are very pleased. Check it out.

Ryuseiboy, thanks for that link I just read the whole thing and it looks like I might be trying one out. I really liked what I saw, and for the money it really can't be beat. Thanks again buddy, you did something that was just as good as saving me 100 dollars. That skimmer may not be as fast at skimming as a Deltec or an ASM and Euro but it will do the trick and for it's price it really can't be beat. I think Aqua C is in some serious trouble.

Originally posted by HughJas

Lookin good man.  That slimer is coming along nicely.

Thanks a ton Chris, I have a question for you...what are you doing in the way of adding calcium to your tank?

• 2 weeks later...

Big Update guys, I have some pics and update info for all to check out. So without further adue here is the OFFICIAL UPDATE FOR:

6/16/2005

normal_DSC03972.JPG

FTS, Poor One Eyed Willy RIP little buddy I am sorry I couldn't save ya.

DSC03961.JPG

My Orange Digi, and my Ric...chill'n together. The Orange Digi, has a small bare spot where I had to cut the Xenia back it has since filled in.

DSC03966.JPG

Bali Slimer

DSC03963.JPG

Tricolor Acro, and Green/Pinkish Unkown Acro

DSC03965.JPG

Blue Tort, and Pink Millipora

DSC03967.JPG

Top down on the bottom Dwellers..nevermind those flatworms.

DSC03968.JPG

Tricolor Ric, Orange and Blue Ric(hehe Auburn Colors), and My Frogspawn which is currently making 5 different heads.

DSC03969.JPG

SPS from the side

DSC03970.JPG

Green Pocillipora

DSC03978.JPG

Macro on Shrooms

DSC03991.JPG

Night Night Coral

DSC03986.JPG

Sump

Just a few notes here, my GBTA is splitting!! Apparently it feels so good it is becoming twins. Also the sump is in a cycle process so it is causing me to have a little more algae build up in the tank than ususal. I have ordered some Flat-Worm Exit to get rid of these annoying little leaf colored pests and also to see if killing them off helps to make my tank a little more colorful.

I am very excited about how everything is growing and I hope that it continues to do well.

My future plans are to add an additional tank as a grow out tank/fuge and then move my fuge to it. I am hoping that the Coralife Needle Wheel skimmer will turn out to be as good as everyone has said because I plan to add it to the area where the fuge is now, as well as a nome built calcium reactor.

I am building a door right now for the front of my cabinet and hope to get some kind of bin style tank and a small cabinet to set my new fuge and other stuff up on.

On a side note I am wanting to trade my Aqua Spacelight for a 250 watt Ocean Light.

Details can be found here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=59656

Thanks for the complement there tMoney. I hardly think it looks that good but then again it is like any project you see all of the imperfections first.

Archived