Top Shelf Aquatics

Tigahboy's 67g Reef Project

Tigahboy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

curing 15lb of Vanuatu LR from Jeff's. Gonna transfer over the LR from the nc6 as well. So I still need about 30 more lb at least.

Originally posted by DHodges34

in the long run, you can't have great livestock without great equipment! (Most of us have learned this the hard way).  And figuring out the logistics of the plumbing and everything else has to be at least half the fun!

well said. i couldnt agree w/ you more.

Travis - thanks. I'm starting to want a canopy tho. =/ damn u, uchiha! haha.

Sinistard - they definitely have it good...but they never leave that one side. haha. oh well, time to get some real fish. =)

I just found a whole bunch of home depot receipts. I know I have more, but so far I've found 19 all for this 67g/prop project.

hdreceipts.jpg

(thank god the plumbing is finally over!)

Originally posted by bubba

What are your livestock plans?

not really sure yet. I know I want 1 tang (not sure which)...that's about it so far.

any suggestions? It would be cool to have like a small school of fish...but not many fish that do that and after all, I just upgraded to a 67g; not a 150g. hehe. so still feel a little restricted in terms of space.

but at least I have the same footprint as a 90g R, so lateral space is covered. =)

Looks great tigah. The rock work so far is awsome.

Can you take some pictures of the prop tank?

Get a few anthias. They are very colorful and school.

Maybe some black axial chromis as opposed to the standard green, They should school and be very hardy, or some form of cardinal.

WATER! LR! And the crowd breathes a sigh of relief. Damn nice. I'd go w/ some B. Cardinals; they school, stay relatively small, and don't drive you crazy by swimming all over the damn place. Ya know, you're making me a believer of the blue back - really makes that rock pop.

yeah, the nc6 will be taken down. I'll probably sell it w/ the 2 upgraded pumps and such.

in terms of schooling fish, I was thinking maybe chalk bass...but i'm not positive that they school.

DitchPlains

I got one suggestion, and maybe you've already thought of it, but with this amazing tank you did, and very informative time elapsed photog work, as well as the complex pulmbing with squirt, why the basic rockwork ??

I mean couldn't you have created a reef wall, or overhanging cave along the back, perhaps something to give it more depth.

Are you done aqauscaping, meaning will it be like all rectangle tanks, a simple long reef in the middle of the tank.

Just hate to see all this great work, end up in the same simple long reef structure, c'mon your a bright guy you can do better in aquascaping...

Awesome tank either way, and thanks for sharing!

B)

Originally posted by Prunfarm

WATER! LR!  And the crowd breathes a sigh of relief.  Damn nice.  I'd go w/ some B. Cardinals; they school, stay relatively small, and don't drive you crazy by swimming all over the damn place.  Ya know, you're making me a believer of the blue back - really makes that rock pop.

haha. thanks prunfarm.

I think I have to take a closer look at the B Cardinals next time I'm at LFS. they kinda look too much like freshwater fish from what I recall. haha.

my only concern w/ chromis is that I've read they don't maintain the school. They use it as a defense thing in the beginning and as they get more used to their settings, they eventually go their separate ways (and maybe meet back up every now and then).

any other schooling fish? anyone have experience w/ the chalk bass?

Originally posted by DitchPlains

I got one suggestion, and maybe you've already thought of it, but with this amazing tank you did, and very informative time elapsed photog work, as well as the complex pulmbing with squirt,  why the basic rockwork ??

I mean couldn't you have created a reef wall, or overhanging cave along the back, perhaps something to give it more depth.

Are you done aqauscaping, meaning will it be like all rectangle tanks, a simple long reef in the middle of the tank.

Just hate to see all this great work, end up in the same simple long reef structure, c'mon your a bright guy you can do better in aquascaping...

Awesome tank either way, and thanks for sharing!

B)

lol. no need to worry, my friend. as I stated a couple pages ago, I still got 50 (likely more) lb of LR to add. So I'm not gonna bother w/ aquascaping at the moment. I threw together that simple rockwork you see in the pic in less than 10 minutes.

DitchPlains

Awesome, I should have known......great stuff my friend!! Amazing very informative and beautiful work, inspiring me with my 65g cube I am building, just ordered my acrylic sheets from a place in CA.:D

Phergus, I missed it in my speed read.....DOH DOH>

My bad :P Everytime I see them at the LFS they school together. You had Firefish before right? Don't they school? I read that Chalk Bass are semi-aggressive and the larger ones like to eat shrimp.

Archived