SaltCritters.com

Clams In Nano Tank

barry631

What about 144w of PC lights in my BC29 ?!?!?!? Can I keep a small clam under this lighting ?? I have a fellow local reefer who has successfully kept one in his 55G for 4 and a half years under 260w of PC lighting, and its sitting on the bottom of his tank..... I have much more intense lighting then his setup, so I think I would be okay... What does anyone else think ??

In case anyone wanted to see, here is a pic of my buddys clam in his 55G tank..

Tank_Pictures_008.jpg

Im not sure what type of clam it is, but over 4 years under PC lighting, I would call success.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about 144w of PC lights in my BC29 ?!?!?!? Can I keep a small clam under this lighting ?? I have a fellow local reefer who has successfully kept one in his 55G for 4 and a half years under 260w of PC lighting, and its sitting on the bottom of his tank..... I have much more intense lighting then his setup, so I think I would be okay... What does anyone else think ??

In case anyone wanted to see, here is a pic of my buddys clam in his 55G tank..

Tank_Pictures_008.jpg

Im not sure what type of clam it is, but over 4 years under PC lighting, I would call success.

looks to me like a crocea with fine mantle extension. if indeed his claim of 4 years is true, he is pretty successful!

one thing everyone must be aware about is that clams are diverse, and there are some individuals that can tolerate significantly less light than others. in GENERAL, croceas are the most light demanding clams of the tridacna family, and will require very intense lighting, a minimum recommendation of 150 14k metal halide. if you want to try your clam under 144w, please place him as high as you can in your tank, as power compacts really do have a hard time penetrating the water column.

I planned on switching to a MH setup within a year, give or take, so I should be okay..... Ill put him up high and make sure to keep an eye on him. :)

problem with clams is that they will seem to do fine for years, and suddenly die on you within a few days before you know what caused it. this is why its important to maintain perfect tank conditions.

non-photosynt

My Baby Maximas, only 2 months under my care:

Baby Tridacna Maxima clam, ~3/4" (2 cm) long, days after purchase. 20g tank, 72W PC (may be 3" from the light) plus direct sunlight. Oct 19.

2961710250081040121iTunDj_th.jpg

The second baby Tridacna Maxima clam, ~3/4" (2 cm) long, just after purchase, on the right. 20g tank, 72W PC plus direct sunlight. Nov 5.

2162782880081040121FEDdEU_th.jpg

Babies Tridacna Maxima clams, >1" (3 cm) long, after 2 months keeping. 10g tank, 72W PC plus direct sunlight. Dec 13. Survived crash with nuked blue sponge, sea slug, and sea cucumber. Amazing resilience!

2489268550081040121hSNrIH_th.jpg

The only particular feeding is ESV spay-dried phytoplankton.

Galloping Goose

JovReef.

Was just wondering how long have you had the red sea starfish? Ive been wanting one but everywhere I look or ask they dont last. When my LFS store gets them in they start "melting" dying in about a week. If you have had it a long time, some secrets you have about it would be appreciated. By the way. Here is a pic of my crocea in a 8g under 54 watts of 50/50 in a 12 inch deep tank. I will try to take a pic from top-down of it tmrw and post it.

(p.s. the full tank shot on the far right does not contain the clam yet.)

JovReef.

Was just wondering how long have you had the red sea starfish? Ive been wanting one but everywhere I look or ask they dont last. When my LFS store gets them in they start "melting" dying in about a week. If you have had it a long time, some secrets you have about it would be appreciated. By the way. Here is a pic of my crocea in a 8g under 54 watts of 50/50 in a 12 inch deep tank. I will try to take a pic from top-down of it tmrw and post it.

(p.s. the full tank shot on the far right does not contain the clam yet.)

place your clam higher as he is surely on his way to starvation. try to give him some natural sunlight as well as he is right next to the window. direct sunlight will do your tank good in many ways.

Do you know how long clams can live? How about 250 YEARS! So 1 year and 3 months is NOT long term success

i found this very interesting. a clam that can live for many years (250 to be exact by proraptor2) lives in a nano for 1.3 year is not a long term success because 1.3 is nothing compare to 250 years in a clam's natural habitat. corals and anemone have no definite life span, so according to your theory, does anyone ever has any long term success with any corals or anemones at all? i guess a tank full of acro that has been running for 15 years is not long term success as well. gods knows what maybe the tank will crash in about 30 more years and then we will say, "see i told you 2000W of MH in a 30G is not enough light for that acro. in the ocean, that guy lives forever."

thanks!

direct sunlight will do your tank good in many ways.

Like algae!!

;)

I keep my tanks away from direct sunlight.

But in this guys case, he needs all the light he can get for that clam.

Archived