SaltCritters.com

Clams In Nano Tank

barry631

I would think that he may be able to scrape by with the two clown, especially if they are a mated pair. Lose the goby for sure and make sure you keep up with your water changes. Ceasar is right in that it may not be optimal, but to remove one of the clowns when they are already paired is just plain sad :(

We've already stripped them of their ocean why cant we just let them live in a tank as happy as they can be :)

That said, make sure you keep up with your weekly water changes. My rule based on unfortunate experience is its best to keep 1 fish in anything less then 10 gallons. 12 gallons is close....but since the clowns probably wont need much swim space with the anemone there and having paired, I think that it might be OK.

The clam is a crapshoot anyway you cut it. Hope it heals up for you.

Good luck!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've actually been thinking of keeping a squamosa in a 2.5-5gallon w/ LED primary lighting. I have not constructed this yet but am estimating over 10,000 lux, very close to a MH in intensity and spectrum, no 420nm light though, just 460nm and 9000k spectrum thereafter.

I'm well aware of ca/ph/kh and have kept a squamosa before w/ MH in my old 15G w/ 15G sump w/ homemade phyto. So i feel if I'm able to get the lux and spectrum right I can do it safely.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok.. yea REALLY old thread... but I thought I'd add to it anyway :D

I got a 2 1/2-3 inch crocea & put it in my 2 gallon pico. lived there under 13W PC for 3 months till I upgraded to a 10G with 96W PC, Lived there for almost a year. Till I upgraded again to a 20H with MH lights.

2 years and this clam is still kickin :D slap in the face to all who said Crocea's cant be kept in PC's or nanos. I think 2 years is long enough to say NANANANAAANNNAAA

I got a 2 1/2-3 inch crocea & put it in my 2 gallon pico. lived there under 13W PC for 3 months till I upgraded to a 10G with 96W PC, Lived there for almost a year. Till I upgraded again to a 20H with MH lights.

2 years and this clam is still kickin :D slap in the face to all who said Crocea's cant be kept in PC's or nanos. I think 2 years is long enough to say NANANANAAANNNAAA

i guess you're one in a few that got lucky -_-

the 96W with PC i can buy, but 13w in a 2 gallon??? i need documented proof for that :P

JovReef - Ill bet if you have it under halides for a year it would be at least 2 times as big as it is now

i guess you're one in a few that got lucky -_-

the 96W with PC i can buy, but 13w in a 2 gallon??? i need documented proof for that :P

Documented proof? proof is in the pic right? B)

12480HPIM0234.JPG

And look... right after you my new favorite nano reef person posts LOL!

FYI ... it grew a good 2 inches under my PC's. Has not really done much more under the halide ... bout another inch of growth & stuck its self to the side of the shell I put under it instead of on the flat surface it use to reside on. And its been under that halide for a year end of this month. Would you like something to drink to help you swallow that?

And here it is in the 10G right before I moved everything to the 20.

10MH.jpg

And back in march of this year... here it is in the 20

TankMarch.jpg

I have an old one from when it was in the 10 gallon, in my photobucket. I'll post it when the site is back up. I'll take a new one sometime soon too for you :)

Most clams nowadays are aquacultured. Or at least ours are.

$25 for a Tridacna? Is it 3/4" long? :P

Honestly, some people just gouge on prices. We get farmed clams, and they're not at all expensive.

why so shocked? my store sells 2-3" crocea's for 29.99, and same sized maximas for 34.99. i'm not sure if they're aquacultured or wild though (probably wild).

"2.5"-3" Maxima" -- That says it all...what do most Tridacnids feed on as a majority of their diet at that age, kids? ahhh...that's right...they rely more heavily on phytoplankton than photosynthesis at that age.

It then went to a 10gal with 96w of lighting...which IMO is fine for a smallish clam....and then into a MH setup.

Congrats on the success with the clam for a couple of years....but it really isn't all that surprising.

Cheers,

Fred

they do filter feed, but depend more on light.

the whole younger clams feed a lot bit has never been proven as well, its still a theory.

• 3 weeks later...

Yea...actually at 2.5- 3 inches they depend 90% on light ... not phytoplankton. If it had it would have been S.O.L. because it never once got fed.

Excompany... are you making fun of my patternless clam? he's sad now!

1 year and 3 months under PC's probably isnt going to kill a clam and is not considered long term success under PC lighting....NANANANAANA back

Yea...actually at 2.5- 3 inches they depend 90% on light ... not phytoplankton. If it had it would have been S.O.L. because it never once got fed.

Excompany... are you making fun of my patternless clam? he's sad now!

anything under 3 inches needs food to survive....Just because you didnt feed it doesnt mean it wasnt being fed naturally from plankton in your water...

• 3 months later...
Would you like something to drink to help you swallow that?

I bet Proraptor needs a tall glass to help him get his humble pie down!!! :D

And Proraptor...you think that 1 year and 3 months isnt long enough to kill an animal under the wrong conditions?...you have no idea what you are talking about, that is without a doubt long term.

He made a huge scene on my first PC Acro thread saying how it was dying and this and that, Then a little while later when I posted pics with almost an inch of visible growth in less than 3 months he was so humbled he wouldnt even post on the updated thread!

Proraptor, before you start giving everyone a peice of your mind, you should make sure their is enough to spare.

I love how people on the internet love to say how you cant do this and that, when they have never really tried to do it themselves.

Pictures are proof.

Not to call you out on this EZ but each clam has it own pattern right reguardless of light?......It looks healthy to me in all the pictures.

Your clam looks great to me, keep up the good work!

I bet Proraptor needs a tall glass to help him get his humble pie down!!! :D

And Proraptor...you think that 1 year and 3 months isnt long enough to kill an animal under the wrong conditions?...you have no idea what you are talking about, that is without a doubt long term.

He made a huge scene on my first PC Acro thread saying how it was dying and this and that, Then a little while later when I posted pics with almost an inch of visible growth in less than 3 months he was so humbled he wouldnt even post on the updated thread!

Proraptor, before you start giving everyone a peice of your mind, you should make sure their is enough to spare.

I love how people on the internet love to say how you cant do this and that, when they have never really tried to do it themselves.

Pictures are proof.

Not to call you out on this EZ but each clam has it own pattern right reguardless of light?......It looks healthy to me in all the pictures.

Your clam looks great to me, keep up the good work!

You really should stop trolling....Where to start....

Apparently the guy that has had luck with the clam did have the right water conditions. There isnt enough light over the tank for the clam but it survived a whopping 1 year and 3 months. Do you know how long clams can live? How about 250 YEARS! So 1 year and 3 months is NOT long term success...Not to mention the clam he/ she had was small and is most likely really dependent on filtering food out of the water column and not light.

Next....You keep running around putting words into my mouth...In your acro post I said you are doing nothing new which is true. You have a super easy to keep DEEP WATER (that means: does not require much light to live and grow) acro. You are not the hero you think you are period. Also I never said the acro would die I was the one that said easy deep water acros (which means: does not require much light to live and grow) will liive under lower lighting.

You can say all you want but Ive done probably 2 times more expirementing with acros under PC, heck Ive even done tests with bali green slimer frags under T12 NO bulbs. My current frag tank (only 130 watts of power compact lighting) has had green monticap, red monticap, orange monticap, green slimers, red pavona, 2 types of green pavona, tenius frags, green pocillapora, pink pocillapora, etc etc in there and have shown some growth. These are all easier to keep SPS....I have tried a Cali tort frag under the PC's and it browned out really fast...

Pictures are not proof on the internet....If you believe that then those "hot girls" that you met on those singles chatrooms that you probably frequent are probably going to have some junk between their legs when you meet them. Believe nothing on the internet...I could put my shawn bennet tort colony in my frag tank that has 2 65 watt PC's snap a pic and say thats how much it has grown in a month. Its easy!

EZ is also right saying clams can loose their pattern with lighting/water issues. If they dont get enough light they can loose some of their pattern. I forget what they call it but if a clam isnt healthy it will often loose its pattern in the center of the mantle its been proven.

i'm only gonna comment on the clam part.

different types of zooxanthellae host the clam on its mantle. each zooxanthellae has their own preferred spectrum of light, as you change lighting, intensity and spectrum will change depending on the bulb and wattage. some zooxanthellae will thrive and some will die. needless to say all the zooxanthellae require a high intensity to be able to provide food for their host, the clam. Clams losing their coloration and patterns due to poor conditions is due to the zooxanthellae dying. If the zooxanthellae dies off, the clam will inevitably die as well.

Archived