Cultivated Reef

Clams In Nano Tank

barry631

How many keep Clam in their Nano Tanks ? I am asking as I don't have experence in keeping them in such a small tank. If so any success with it.

Barry

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a squamosa in my tank before it crashed. It is touch and go now. I would probably give it another shot since the crash was all my fault (find my post and feel my pain).

I think you might want to check out the advanced section where there is a post or two on clams. I believe it can be done with some success, otherwise I wouldn't be willing to give it another shot.

Hell, if ya want me to guinea pig, send me a nice mix.

same as crakeur (my desk got ammonia'd by the cleaning crew). squamosa is a good starting clam. i've kept them under pc and mh separately. i had a gold maxima under pc in my prior nano (salinity crash from the flu :*( ).

like barry631 said, alot of peeps keep clams under pc successfully. i think most will agree mh are better tho. i wouldn't recommend clams as the first animal tho, better to start with easy corals imo. maybe squamosa.

guys. do you think 32 watts pc is enought for a squamosa? i've heard mixed opinions about this but i don't just want to get the clam and kill it.

Originally posted by tinyreef

(salinity crash from the flu :*( ).

I had a serious case of strep A this weekend, 104 fever and ended up in the ER. In my delirium I topped off my tank with salt water. I came out of my stupor on Sunday evening and found that the bucket of water sitting on the floor was apparently a mixture of 2 gallons of DI and about half a box of salt. I wouldn't be surprised to find out I was gargling with tank water.

regarding the 32w for a squamosa, I wouldn't bother trying without stronger lighting. Better to be safe than sorry. Aside from the potential of flushing money down the toilet, you're putting a little life at risk. The expression happy as a clam might not work there.

johnrags1234

I dont see why so many peeps on reef central dont think it can be done (clams in a small tank that is) but alot of ppeople seem to be doing it succesfully are Most/some rc members old school?

NanoReefer53

i've been keeping a crocea in my tank for about 3.5 months now and all seems good. lately it has been growing a lot ( i can tell by the new white shell growth) but yea, it's possible, and it keeps down my nitrates :)

I had a crocea in my nano. But it died a while ago(it was my moms fault). If you remember, I just got my maxima and gold maxima from you barry(both look wonderful btw).

• 2 weeks later...
Christopher Marks

I'm keeping a 1" baby purple maxima in my tank*. It's only been 2 weeks now, but it seems to be very content, and he's even attaching his mantle to the rocks.

He's in the sand bed, about 10.5" away from my 32w smartlamp powercompact.

Originally posted by Christopher Marks

I'm keeping a 1" baby purple maxima in my clam.  

Please post pics of your maxima in a clam chris.

I'm getting a great gold crocea this weekend, will have to keep him under PC's untill I get MH tank established.

Originally posted by Christopher Marks

I'm keeping a 1" baby purple maxima in my clam.  

Everything I have read says that it is not wise to keep a maxima in a clam. For starters, the maxima might grow faster than the clam and then you would have a serious issue. Plus, the maxima might outcompete the clam for food and then the clam dies and you have a homeless maxima.

Sorry Chris, I couldn't resist.

cool chris, i have my squasoma. I think u probably got him from rick at the frag swap right? Mine seems realy good too. He attaches his byssal thread (thats the right term correct?) to the substrate. He seems great, even after some abuse i have been the hospital since monday and skipped my wc's. it was impossible to check out until today. but he is realy healthy, so i think everything is ok.

I have FOUR Crocea, ONE Squamosa, Two Bi-valves (which as I said before propagated. Around 6 smaller I can see now.) and One orange scallop. The bi-valves and scallops were hitchikers.

The Crocea are growing (3 new lines on older and 2 on the big newer one). The Squamosa is not doing well (I notice not much growth). Must be my moving around it a bit. Moved 4x since it was in the tank (around 6 months now).

You can grow clams under Actinic and NO. And these ones I have are Croceas. And I do have a nano tank.

Would a squamosa do well under 96W of PC in a 15 gallon? About 15" from the light?

I have a 32W 10000K, 32W Smartlite (50/50), and 32W Actinic 03.

I am also thinking of getting a 175W MH soon, not quite sure yet. Things seem to be doing well in my tank with the current lighting but I want to see if my occupants do even better under more light. Would 175W MH be overkill for a mix of SPS, LPS, softy, and a squamosa?

my squa got ####ed off after i moved the lights closer to it's area. i thought it was doing badly for lack of light so i moved it up closer. it completely shut itself. placed it on a shady area and now seems (i hope) to like it better. doing ok so far.

just an idea since squa's are deep sea clams actinics would be a better choice than MH since only the blue spectrum is what it wants.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had one it was killed by an unknown hitchhiker on the LR. Needs a bigger tank that can accomidate the larger fish which will eat the clams preadators.

I've had great luch with clams in nano tanks. I had a few in my 20 gallon setup for over a year and a half till the tank was moved. I haven't really tried clams in anything smaller than a 20 however but I do plan on trying one in my 7 gallon soon. Here are some pics of the clams in my 20:

20reef01.jpg

20reef13.jpg

20reef14.jpg

Cameron

Nice clams u've there Physh1

Heres a pic of my clams, they've been doing well under 36Wx4 PC light

one has been in my tank for 6 months

will probably get more clams to lower the NO3

Archived