Cultivated Reef

bosco’s Reef Casa Vila 24 build

boscoT

Massive issue….

the six line showed his true colours tonight by going after the little guy.  It looks like the six line is leaving tomorrow. I put it in a breeder basket after taking the tank apart.  

I should have listened to the warnings about the six line before adding it 

Just a quick update, I was able to surrender the six line to a store today.  On the way home, I found a store that had a pink stripe wrasse around the same size that I ended up purchasing.  The lights were out since this afternoon to allow for some adjustments, I have them dim now and both new fish are out and about checking things out.  

My snowflake clown is being a bit of a knob right now but not attacking, maybe just letting the new ones know that he is there.  

I still plan on adding one more fish, and have decided on a Dracula goby once they are back in stock.  

My goal is to get my first corals at the first of the year, so I am hoping to have all the fish in and water levels right.  

Pictures to follow tomorrow, the pink stripe is definitely the ugly cousin of the six line, mine is very light in colour and I hope to see it colour up a bit as it gets more comfortable

3 hours ago, boscoT said:

Just a quick update, I was able to surrender the six line to a store today.  On the way home, I found a store that had a pink stripe wrasse around the same size that I ended up purchasing.  The lights were out since this afternoon to allow for some adjustments, I have them dim now and both new fish are out and about checking things out.  

My snowflake clown is being a bit of a knob right now but not attacking, maybe just letting the new ones know that he is there.  

I still plan on adding one more fish, and have decided on a Dracula goby once they are back in stock.  

My goal is to get my first corals at the first of the year, so I am hoping to have all the fish in and water levels right.  

Pictures to follow tomorrow, the pink stripe is definitely the ugly cousin of the six line, mine is very light in colour and I hope to see it colour up a bit as it gets more comfortable

I had a six line that dragged a clown fish 3 times his size around the tank by his bottom lip. ( he mysteriously dissapeard, for real, just gone.) then I had another that was a model citizen, never even looked at another fish.

they are awesome, and I hope to get another some day.

yours sounds more like my first.

Worst weekend ever to be honest since having this tank setup....

Started out with excitement of a new fish, only to learn that the six line had to go.  Found a place that was willing to take him and found a pink streak wrasse to replace him....

Today the lights go on and my clowns have been absolutely insane since Friday.  I tried to move rocks around and it sent the larger clown off on a kamikaze mission of sorts.  It was beating on the second clown and taking on everything that was in the tank.  

I decided to re-home my clowns now too.  

So now I have 4 new fish and I am back to baby size fish after 3 months.  

I am really hoping the new baby clowns that I picked up are a bit chiller.  My fish are actually out swimming now.  

I went with Storm Clown Fish this time as they were on a massive sale this weekend.  

I feel really bad getting rid of the original three but I just couldn't afford to wipe out several hundred dollars in my other 2 fish.

• Sad 1
54 minutes ago, boscoT said:

Worst weekend ever to be honest since having this tank setup....

Started out with excitement of a new fish, only to learn that the six line had to go.  Found a place that was willing to take him and found a pink streak wrasse to replace him....

Today the lights go on and my clowns have been absolutely insane since Friday.  I tried to move rocks around and it sent the larger clown off on a kamikaze mission of sorts.  It was beating on the second clown and taking on everything that was in the tank.  

I decided to re-home my clowns now too.  

So now I have 4 new fish and I am back to baby size fish after 3 months.  

I am really hoping the new baby clowns that I picked up are a bit chiller.  My fish are actually out swimming now.  

I went with Storm Clown Fish this time as they were on a massive sale this weekend.  

I feel really bad getting rid of the original three but I just couldn't afford to wipe out several hundred dollars in my other 2 fish.

Clowns can become aggressive when they pair up, you may have disturbed a prospective nest. I had one that went full mother on me and ate the eyes out of my shrimp, and killed an emerald. Anything really that got within 12” of the nest area.

and there smart too, they don’t bite the bony part of your hand, they strafe side to side and wait for the tender spot like the web between your fingers.( I was actually quite impressed.)

sorry for the loss and upset in your slice of sanctuary. 

• Like 1
On 12/17/2023 at 6:05 PM, Staticmoves said:

and there smart too, they don’t bite the bony part of your hand, they strafe side to side and wait for the tender spot like the web between your fingers.( I was actually quite impressed.)

...wicked smart and built to fight!!!

image.png.b9cadb6dd4243317a11faa6daabfc115.png

@boscoT what are the dimensions of this tank again?   From the fish problems you're having it sounds to me like the tank has been overcrowded – not enough "negative space" for the fish to peacefully co-exist, considering their needs for territory, swimming and sleeping room, et al.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, mcarroll said:

...wicked smart and built to fight!!!

image.png.b9cadb6dd4243317a11faa6daabfc115.png

@boscoT what are the dimensions of this tank again?   From the fish problems you're having it sounds to me like the tank has been overcrowded – not enough "negative space" for the fish to peacefully co-exist, considering their needs for territory, swimming and sleeping room, et al.

It is a 24 gal reef Casa Vila.  Everything was great and the three lived well together (2clowns and 1 six line). Once I added another fish all hell broke loose.  

I am happy to report that the new family is quite happy and getting along…. For now 

• Like 2

Just finished reading through your journal and have really enjoyed it. Sorry to hear of your recent troubles. I'm about to cycle my first tank and am considering some of the same fish. 

Your new fire fish is gorgeous! Where did you purchase him from?

Can't wait to see more pictures of the new gang. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Fishy Guy said:

Just finished reading through your journal and have really enjoyed it. Sorry to hear of your recent troubles. I'm about to cycle my first tank and am considering some of the same fish. 

Your new fire fish is gorgeous! Where did you purchase him from?

Can't wait to see more pictures of the new gang. 

Thanks so much.  I live in Ontario Canada and purchased them from a store called candy corals.   They have really nice fish and so far they have all been healthy.  I did have a clown die first day but I think it wasn’t well from the store.  The other clown was in excellent health and fish added after cycle.  

the new stock is very chill.  Even the new clowns all be it smaller have been pretty chilled like I remember clowns to be.  

I think if I left the clowns and the six line alone they would have still been doing well together.  

i believe 5 small fish in the 24 is more than adequate space for them. I now have selected more peaceful fish.  I think it is important for a smaller tank to consider temperament.  The six line is my favourite reef fish but I realize that it’s not worth the risk now. 

I am waiting for my store to stock a Dracula goby and that will be the last addition to my tank.  

the pink streak wrasse is not as nice looking s the six line but way more chill. I hope it relaxes a bit over the next few weeks and explores the rocks like the six line did.  He is a bit soooked but slowly coming out more now since I removed the aggressive clowns.  

the storm clown fish are really beautiful.  I loved the snowflake clowns stripes and design but the orange dots on the storms are really cool.  

the fire fish is a show stopper and he is just starting to come out more now and swim around after being bullied for a few days from the old fish.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, boscoT said:

Thanks so much.  I live in Ontario Canada and purchased them from a store called candy corals.   They have really nice fish and so far they have all been healthy.  I did have a clown die first day but I think it wasn’t well from the store.  The other clown was in excellent health and fish added after cycle.  

the new stock is very chill.  Even the new clowns all be it smaller have been pretty chilled like I remember clowns to be.  

I think if I left the clowns and the six line alone they would have still been doing well together.  

i believe 5 small fish in the 24 is more than adequate space for them. I now have selected more peaceful fish.  I think it is important for a smaller tank to consider temperament.  The six line is my favourite reef fish but I realize that it’s not worth the risk now. 

I am waiting for my store to stock a Dracula goby and that will be the last addition to my tank.  

the pink streak wrasse is not as nice looking s the six line but way more chill. I hope it relaxes a bit over the next few weeks and explores the rocks like the six line did.  He is a bit soooked but slowly coming out more now since I removed the aggressive clowns.  

the storm clown fish are really beautiful.  I loved the snowflake clowns stripes and design but the orange dots on the storms are really cool.  

the fire fish is a show stopper and he is just starting to come out more now and swim around after being bullied for a few days from the old fish.  

That's what I've heard and why I'm considering a pink streaked; though I haven't seen one in person yet.

The Dracula goby is really cool looking too! I hadn't heard of them before. Are you going to try to pair with a Pistol? I was thinking of doing a YWG/pistol pair. I also want a Tailspot Blenny.

I'd put money that your pink-streak starts coming around more.  Mine flares up if the clowns get near him and they leave him be.  Boss move.  Have you located his sleeping spot yet?  Pretty cool seeing them throw out their mucus cocoon! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ml86743 said:

I'd put money that your pink-streak starts coming around more.  Mine flares up if the clowns get near him and they leave him be.  Boss move.  Have you located his sleeping spot yet?  Pretty cool seeing them throw out their mucus cocoon! 

yes I found his spot already.  He has slept in the same part of a cave for three nights in a row.  Each morning there is a mucus slime shedding from the area.  Really cool to see that in action!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 9:55 AM, ml86743 said:

You were right.  It’s finally starting to come out more

This Dracula goby is going to be the death of me.  He is 100% a fulltime jumper. It hits the cover every single night.  He has been way more chill over the past few days but I did a water change today and it was going crazy.  He almost got out a few times.  I really hope that he settles.  I may get him a candy cane pistol to calm him down and keep him low in the tank.  

IMG_4895.thumb.jpeg.be134d17c4fabb7f92a62f6b3229ad3f.jpeg

• Like 3

With the final fish added to my tank… I think that I am finally ready for some corals.  My nitrates have balanced out 3.6-5ppm and phosphates 0.046ppm or 15ppb

amonia 0

alk 8dkh

im not testing magnesium or calcium just yet as I haven’t been adding supplements or corals.  

I do plan on starting out with AFR and I will have some magnesium on hand when needed. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Such a neat goby, and beautiful clowns. 

Definitely time for some corals. What are you thinking for the first ones? 

I really need some direction on this but there are a few that I like.  Montepora around the top rock for sure and I like the pink alveopora.  Im looking for a small slow growing green toadstool maybe too. Mushroom and polyps. Stuff like that 

Can’t go wrong with those choices. Montipora may be a hit or miss since the tank is so new- but you can always try! Definitely one of the easier sps out there. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey all, just wanted to check in.  My 24 gal reef tank is well on its way.  I have not added coral as of yet, but the fish are doing well and I am getting some really nice Coraline algae growth all over the rocks.

I have been seeing the start of some algae and Dinos have been a repeated problem over the past few months.  That is right around the time that I was adding chemi blue.  I just used a tooth brush and did a big water change.  I have bottomed out my phosphates and I believe that is the cause of the Dino and algae bloom.  I closely monitor my water and everything looks good other than the orange look to the sand bed.

Tonight I removed the chemi blue, and I have turned my uv flow down to allow for better sanitization.  My hope is that these two tweaks will rid the tank of the uglies and finally allow me to get going with coral.

I will keep you all posted with the results

• Like 3
banasophia

Great fish inhabitants!! Glad to hear the tank is well on its way… hopefully you’ll be at a good point for adding some corals soon.