Cultivated Reef

bosco’s Reef Casa Vila 24 build

boscoT

4 minutes ago, boscoT said:

My water is crystal and I mean crystal clear for the first time since being set up.

6 minutes ago, boscoT said:

Finally a step in the right direction over the past few months, I have already had some highs and many lows but I am starting to feel better about jumping into this little hobby again

Take the night off - pull up a comfortable chair - sit back and enjoy.

• Like 2

I ordered the new Aqua Illumination Axis 40 pump yesterday.  I currently have the Sicci 1.0 as a return pump on my 24gal AIO.  It's a great pump, however; feeding times has been a bit annoying.  I am using a smart power bar and have the pump set to shut off for feeding, the issue however is that when I shut the pump off, the ATO alarm goes off as the chamber over fills.  

I have 2 nero 3 pumps that I dial down to 10% for my feeding schedule and it is so convenient having automated and being able to control them without powering them off.  

The new Axis 40 is rated up to 45 gal. so I plan on running around 50% output.  I hope that the constant moving even during feeding time at a lower % will reduce the ATO from freaking out.  

Really looking forward to this new unit

I am also planning on pulling the trigger on a UV sterilizer in the near future 

That should be it for me with respect to hardware and setup equipment.  

Id like to start focusing on coral next but want everything set before I go to the next step

• Like 1

Just wanted to post 2.5 month update. Diatoms are still a bit of an issue but slowly starting to go away. I have a slightly green/yellow to some of the life rock but no really crazy algae blooms as of yet. 

My water maintenance and routine is dialled in and I am gaining control of my feeding and maintaining low phosphates and nitrates.  

I lost a clown fish on the first day that I picked it up, likely sick when I got it.  I have lost 2 nassarius snails and that’s about it.  I’m going to add a few more to my CUC soon.  

I should have the brand new AI Axis 40 sometime next week.  I ordered from BRS as they were the only ones with them in stock.  The extra Nero 3 has improved flow in the tank. 

I hope that the UV sterilizer will help rid the diatoms once and for all.  I am not going to add

coral until I have that sorted out.  

IMG_4548.thumb.jpeg.64b39b191f1de2c1b335288854ba028a.jpeg

• Like 5

New return pump arrived today.  I took out the Sicce 1.0 251gph return pump and had to cut the return hose a bit as this is a taller pump.  I love the idea of running this on the AI app.  I can control the flow for feeding now which is going to be amazing.  I was shutting the pump off then having the ATO alarm go off.  Now I can program it to slow down for 5 min for feeding twice a day.  

I went with the Axis 40 not the 20 and have it set to 63% power.  This is a 400gph pump and @ 63% I am running 252gph currently.  

It fits with room to spare in my 3" wide rear chamber.  Very quiet and powerful when it needs to be!

IMG_4594.JPG

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Elizabeth94 said:

What a neat little pump! Looks like AI came out with a sort of gyre type pump too along with this one. I may need to make a switch! 

Yeah I am very pleased with this little pump.  I will say that the flow is far better, and it has really helped stir up the tank and rear chamber.  At night just as lights go down, I run the pump at 80% for 5 min.  This just removes any debris buildup in the rear of chamber 3.  Then it goes back to 63%.  During feeding time, my pump reduces to 1% for 10 minutes while my auto feeder releases pellets.  The cool part is that I also have my 2 nero 3 pumps running at 25% during the feeding time to make the food move around.  I find that the fish like the food moving must make it more real for them lol.  

Having control of the return pump via app is awesome for setting schedules!!!

I saw the other wave maker they released.  I am strongly considering adding that as well to the tank, but that in the middle with 2 nero 3s may be too much movement for such a small tank. 

Since adding the second nero 3 and adding the ai axis, I am finding far better filtration.  My filter pads are dark brown within a day now.  

• Like 1

talk me out of it..... 

I am already considering an upgrade tank.  I am so happy with getting back into this hobby.  I haven't added any coral as of yet, however; I really am a fish fan too.  My 24gal does have some limits on my stocking list.  Before going head on into stocking corals in my 24gal AIO, I think that I am going to upgrade my tank.  I am sticking with AIO and will not be going to sump setup.  It is just not for me.  

With that said, my wife is so happy with the tank and more so the automation allowing us to travel.  She is all for a larger tank and putting it somewhere that we can view it better.  

So.........

Looking at two tanks currently, Waterbed 50.3 with stand or Red Sea max e-260 (both AIO)

If I go waterbed, all of my gear will move into this tank with the need to purchase one additional 16HD light.  The e-260 comes stocked with items that I am not too sure that I would want.  

Talk me down and tell me to stick with the 24gal... someone please!!!

7 hours ago, boscoT said:

Talk me down and tell me to stick with the 24gal... someone please!!!

Sorry... 😉 

If you're into fish as you say then a three-foot tank is just about the minimum IMO...still doesn't give you the best selection of potential fish.  A four- or six-foot tank would be even better.  

IMO it would be better to switch sooner than later....the tank will go through another break-in period before you will want to add new bio-load after all...

7 hours ago, boscoT said:

Looking at two tanks currently, Waterbed 50.3 with stand or Red Sea max e-260 (both AIO)

If I go waterbed, all of my gear will move into this tank with the need to purchase one additional 16HD light.  The e-260 comes stocked with items that I am not too sure that I would want.

I'm not sure how you will decide, but if a tank comes with stuff you don't want it seems like it wouldn't be that great of a value.

If there are any "plain" tanks that fit the bill of what you're looking for, you can outfit one with an internal skimmer and filter (eg Tunze Reefpack setups) to get more or less the same function as one of the pre-built AIO's.  

I run a standard 125 Gallon glass tank as an all-in-one using a Tunze 9012 DC skimmer, Tunze 3162 filter unit and Tunze Osmolator ATO.   That made for something like a $1500 setup vs $3500 or more for some of the popular pre-built AIO's of comparable size.   (BTW, that is not intended as an apples-apples comparison – there's nothing "wrong" with a pre-built AIO.  It's just pointing out that there is quite a bit of potential upside to building it yourself, if that seems like a good option.  👍

On 9/4/2023 at 11:09 PM, boscoT said:

IMG_3931.thumb.jpeg.7b09fb79f53c35c2345322be89dcd51f.jpeg

I’m going to start a post to document my trials and tribulations while I get back into the hobby after 12 years.  I’m sure that I will have a ton of questions as I go along and hope that this will help others as they enter into or back into this addictive little hobby.  

I started looking at biocube as I have owned a few of them over 12 years ago.  That lead me to Fluval 13.5 but the dimensions just didn’t work for me.  I stumbled along fragboxtv on YouTube and found that their store was only an hour away from me.  I began reading about their tank called Reef Casa. 

I wanted the biggest tank that my night stand could fit. The dimensions allowed me to put a 15gal cube. I cut out a cardboard mock up of the dimensions and found the tank to be a bit tight on my stand.  

IMG_3844.thumb.jpeg.0c7b7dc662a4db8d08cef689df049c8e.jpeg

through further reading on the Reef Casa site I came across the vila 24.  The dimensions were 23.6x16x14 and I thought that would be awesome but way too big for my area.  The site said that the tank was designed specifically for the dimensions of a popular IKEA modular stand called BESTA.  

I have 48” beside the bed and my wall.  My wife wanted the tank in the room but didn’t want me adding a separate stand.  The BESTA had a 47” stand that could double as a night stand.  I designed the modular unit at IKEA with the intent of one side being the tank stand.  

this stand perfectly fits the Vila 24 as the Reef Casa site stated. 

IMG_3903.thumb.jpeg.f65a80c9a3ba4d6f142cd23d5d9b96bd.jpeg

I really want this set up to be my dream build.  I have had massive tanks and smaller 8 gal reef tanks.  I love fish too so wanted as large of a tank that would fit.  I think this is their largest tank currently. 

I cut some 2x4 reinforcements for the bottom of the stand to support the weight. Each side of the tank is resting on support pieces for the modular stand. 

I made an open door under the sand with shelf to house all of my gear.  

My initial purchase list includes the following:

Reef Casa Villa 24gal AIO tank

uogrades for this tank include 

SICCI 1.0 return pump 

Reef Casa media basket 

Reef Casa dual random flow generator

Aquael 100w ceramic heater

Reef Casa mesh lid

AI prime 16HD with rigid stand

AI Nero 3 wave maker 

Tunze osmolator 3155 ATO

reef Casa large  bio media cubes and marine pure media gems for media basket.  

IMG_3904.thumb.jpeg.3441caf0d00c1facbe9891c1b79760c0.jpeg

im going to use the included Reef Casa return pump for my salt bucket.  Just need to grab a small heater for the bucket when I make salt for water changes.  

I plan on adding a Tunze 9004 skimmer I’m a few months when needed.  I also think that I am going to get an echo tech versa dosing pump for all for reef when it comes time.  

my plan was to wait until October to set up as I was away for work. That changed recently so I decided to get it going this weekend.  I plan on a 4 to 6 week cycle before adding anything to the tank.  

more to come…

Who has the good taste in decorating.

On 9/8/2023 at 3:23 PM, boscoT said:

I went to Fragbox today and picked up the 3D reefing light deflector. The tank sits beside the bed and the direct light to the eyes was a bit much. I seem to have a much better lighting to the tank now with the diffuser.  

i joined the Facebook AI prime group and spoke with the creator of pennywise light program.  He recommended the pennywise 71% day light for the single AI prime 16HD.  It has very healthy mix of white and blue.  

I found another really nice store on the way home today.  It’s a bit closer to home and absolutely stacked with product.  

I still can’t find a syphon break valve for my ATO.  Will likely have to order online and bite the shipping and possible duty to Canada.  

water is as clear as it get.  Still not using carbon in the tank while we cycle.  1 cycle week down 5 to go.  

I can’t wait to see life start to develop in this tank. 

IMG_4061.thumb.jpeg.a5f5a8411d1f7c76c6461c6e3a9cf448.jpegIMG_4063.thumb.jpeg.f9bee1aa26e9cbd8f610fd0effbd2a2a.jpeg

Syphon break is cheap insurance for the house…….. and very easy install.

You know, having a sump can keep the footprint down, allow remote maintenance, give more water volume and bio media, a place for more skimming power, which will allow more fish stock ( “appropriately sized” ), allow ato fault volume security….. shall I continue 😎

Tank looks great by the way..😁

10 hours ago, Staticmoves said:

Where are we at here, or did you decide to upsize……

Im not going to be doing a sump system at this time.  I really have nowhere other than the basement for a large tank.  I love my 24 but wish that I had a bit more room for some extra fish and a tang would be so nice.  It is for my bedroom and my wife is allowing at 60" wall.  Sounds like tons of space but I have a heat register to contend with too and the entrance to my ensuite.  

I am still kicking the tires at a few tanks but have ruled out the Red Sea e-260.  I don't need everything that comes with it.  

I like the waterbox 50.3 and 65.4

I have also been looking at the IM fusion SR 2 PRO 60 and 80.  I like the larger width of the IM AIO tanks.

If I were to purchase right now id likely get the IM 60 or 80 and upgrade some of my gear.  With the larger back chamber I would be able to fit the PLS-50 Elite II nano skimmer. This thing is a workhorse skimmer.  I would keep my 2 nero 3s and add a second AI axis 400 as the IM has to return pumps.  

Time will tell, just not sure that I need to upgrade, maybe I just need to sit with the 24 for a while longer....

1 hour ago, boscoT said:

Im not going to be doing a sump system at this time.  I really have nowhere other than the basement for a large tank.  I love my 24 but wish that I had a bit more room for some extra fish and a tang would be so nice.  It is for my bedroom and my wife is allowing at 60" wall.  Sounds like tons of space but I have a heat register to contend with too and the entrance to my ensuite.  

I am still kicking the tires at a few tanks but have ruled out the Red Sea e-260.  I don't need everything that comes with it.  

I like the waterbox 50.3 and 65.4

I have also been looking at the IM fusion SR 2 PRO 60 and 80.  I like the larger width of the IM AIO tanks.

If I were to purchase right now id likely get the IM 60 or 80 and upgrade some of my gear.  With the larger back chamber I would be able to fit the PLS-50 Elite II nano skimmer. This thing is a workhorse skimmer.  I would keep my 2 nero 3s and add a second AI axis 400 as the IM has to return pumps.  

Time will tell, just not sure that I need to upgrade, maybe I just need to sit with the 24 for a while longer....

I like your last comment on waiting and enjoying the tank you have. I had my original EVO 13.5 for about 3 years.

i loved it.

IMG_4561.thumb.jpeg.84d034408e8f39ac73383245bd380212.jpegIMG_4558.thumb.jpeg.924797f6a4ffc51c6652fe671bbbd445.jpeg

The thing about big tanks... they are more work and money.

The collector-itis kicks in when you get started in the hobby.  You always want something you can't have or don't have (Equipment or livestock).  So naturally you go bigger, and collect more.

One of the podcasts I enjoy (hes owned a aquairum store for a long time) says the average saltwater hobbyists only keeps a tank for 2 years.  

Number one reason people leave the hobby?

To much work.

• Like 2
On 11/29/2023 at 10:15 PM, Rhetoric said:

Depends A LOT on how you roll it.  It certainly CAN be as expensive as you allow it to be....the sky is the limit in terms of gear AND corals.  That isn't how I roll my own tanks though, where budget is a priority.

But preference for setup aside, in the long run (assuming you're not a fly-by-night hobbyist) the cost of the tank, being a fixed cost, approaches $0.  

So IMO you should have the size of tank that maximizes your enjoyment.  

You can do a lot with a small tank, but it's equally true there's a lot your CANNOT do with a small tank.  So I think the logic holds.

Have a small tank rather than none at all, if that's the situation.  But have the biggest tank you can, whatever that means in your situation.   (Again, IMO.)

says the average saltwater hobbyists only keeps a tank for 2 years.  

An aquarium manual from the 1850's says folks back then had a success rate equal to that even back then.  So much for progress, eh?  😄 

To much work.

It seems like a lot of folks getting into the hobby for the first time tend to follow a copy-cat/cookie-cutter approach....which obviously is a problem if you're new to the hobby.  Shortcuts and rushing things are the norm.  Book-reading is old-fashioned – never even a consideration for most.  

That kind of approach leaves the tank owner without enough knowledge or experience to run the tank....and it leaves the tank without a margin for error.  

And yep, that scenario makes for a lot of work...and not very satisfying work a lot of the time, to put it lightly.  So I could believe the statistic you quoted.

The reality is that a tank is what you make it.  Even a reef tank can be EXTREMELY easy to keep if you make it that way.  (As a rule, mine always has been.)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I took advantage of a water change to clean out the rear of my AIO.  I have two python vacuums currently.  One that is their smallest that fits pretty much anywhere and the other is a regular one for the tank.  I was able to get all the build up wiped down and vacuumed out of the rear chambers.  I am thinking about adding my bio media to a coarse mesh bag for easy rinsing in the future.  I moved the heater to make room for my IM universal 10w UV sterilizer.  I must say that my water today is clearer than it has ever been since this tank was setup.  I am not sure if it is the UV sterilizer or the new bag of chemipure blue but the water looks perfect.  I added another KASA smart bar for the extra gear that I have and will be adding.  

I spent sometime cleaning up my wiring under the tank and mounting my echo tech versa dosing pump.  I am not dosing yet as the tank doesn't require it but I got an excellent price on it during a Black Friday sale.  

I will try and take a photo of the tank later today once the full lights are on but for now a little display of my wiring clean up 

IMG_4712.thumb.jpg.bcaedfc80166d90984182256f76fcbf7.jpgIMG_4713.thumb.jpg.a41ef679a7c621545cae6bc97f58ec52.jpg

• Like 1

The collector-itis kicks in when you get started in the hobby.  You always want something you can't have or don't have (Equipment or livestock).  So naturally you go bigger, and collect more.

One of the podcasts I enjoy (hes owned a aquairum store for a long time) says the average saltwater hobbyists only keeps a tank for 2 years.  

Number one reason people leave the hobby?

To much work.

There is so much truth to this statement.  If I spent more time in our basement I would have likely kept my larger 180 which was my last salt tank.  The problem was that for the amount of work that it took, I never really went down just to enjoy it.  Placing this tank in the bedroom was awesome, because I get to interact with it on the daily.  To add a sump setup in the bedroom doesn't really make sense for me right now as the tank that I would do would be too large.  I like keeping my water changes to one bucket a week so for me a 60gal AIO may just be the perfect size.  Not too big and just the right amount of space to enjoy a few more fish.  Again, not 100% sold on it right now but all of my upgrades can switch over to the 60 and I would require very few extra equipment pieces.  

We will see what Boxing Day sales bring...

• Like 1
On 12/3/2023 at 10:18 AM, boscoT said:

Placing this tank in the bedroom was awesome, because I get to interact with it on the daily.

Location.  Location.  Location. 😉 

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a new fish today.  It’s a helfrichi fire fish goby.  This was my most expensive fish ever purchased and I’m sick about it.  But it looks incredible!!  

great for 10-20 gallon with 2” max growth.  I read that they are peaceful with most outside of their own species and will do great by itself in my nano.  I also read that they don’t suffer from many common diseases making them easier to keep and care for.  

IMG_4827.thumb.jpg.a656d129f292a52fcbb62dd44f1eff21.jpg

IMG_4834.thumb.jpeg.8fc85fb7acd8c55e31ffbbd9fbf4062e.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1