Coral Vue Hydros

bosco’s Reef Casa Vila 24 build

boscoT

Spent some time on the AI app today figuring things out.  

I was going through a bunch of the lighting sequences and downloaded the Eddie Putra one from the AI site.  It’s really good but starts far too early in the morning.  I figured out how to modify the presets today and moved the schedule to start later in the day.  The Eddie putra schedule is about the perfect blend of white and blue light.  I think this will be my light schedule for a while unless I find something else.  

IMG_4071.thumb.png.9206524b18d848b1bf56f7245c477e53.png

I did a bunch of reading and there is very limited information on schedules that people run.  I did read that 6 hour increments will replicate current of the ocean.  So I set my schedule up to replicate the natural changes and set the power from 35% to 45%. The heaviest flow is late at night as a means of blowing debris off of the rock and into the filter at night.  

IMG_4070.thumb.png.a895509e2c9341312104afff07ba4b05.png

I am just made up some RO/DI water for the ATO.  I made enough water for 7 days…. I think.  I’ll keep an eye on it next weekend to see where I end up.  If I’m short I plan on changing out my reservoir.  

today I changed the filter media floss that was really dirty from the week.  I’m trying not to touch too much while the tank cycles but flow was being restricted with the dirty media.  I could probably just leave the filter chamber without filter floss but i think that it will be fine.  

looking at the cables today slightly annoyed me.  Also there is no way to shut down certain equipment and they will be a problem as time goes on. 

I ordered the Kasa 6 outlet power bar from Amazon.  I will be able to use this for 6 of the 7 aquarium plugs that I will have.  Has anyone ever tried one of these wifi power bars?

IMG_4072.webp.a43cbf03f877400c0d31d6af541097dd.webp

My Kasa power strip arrived tonight.  I still have a skimmer and a dose pump to purchase with one slot left.  I may order one more so that I have everything hooked up to wifi.  I love being able to use my phone to stop the wave maker and return pump as well as my ATO when I need to work on the aquarium. 

anyone else use a smart power bar?

IMG_4092.thumb.jpeg.8ce755297a6036cc6e781fc52af660d1.jpeg

• Like 3

I’ve always thought about it. But just went with the apex since I wanted the trident and doser anyways. Decided to keep it all in one ecosystem. Wi-Fi power bars definitely have their place and are under valued in this hobby for sure. 

12 hours ago, boscoT said:

My Kasa power strip arrived tonight.  I still have a skimmer and a dose pump to purchase with one slot left.  I may order one more so that I have everything hooked up to wifi.  I love being able to use my phone to stop the wave maker and return pump as well as my ATO when I need to work on the aquarium. 

anyone else use a smart power bar?

IMG_4092.thumb.jpeg.8ce755297a6036cc6e781fc52af660d1.jpeg

I'm running the same bar, so far no problems.  Being able to control from the phone is great! 

That smart power bar looks really cool and I love how you were able to customize the icons, but my home wifi sucks so I use these Tripp Lite power strips with manual switches for each outlet aside from the one on the end which I always use for my light so I don't accidentally turn it off. 

image.thumb.png.cbfb2bfeb541f08281e1dc9e7ab87f0c.png

• Like 1

I have heard about reefers using those single smart outlets directly into a power strip. So you will probably be okay using that wifi strip. I would purchase another to have on hand incase this one fails. 

Before I had a Hydros controller, I always used Tripp Lite’s with the individual switches. They are heavy duty and I had no problem running a T5 hybrid and all my heaters and pumps off one. 

• Like 2
On 9/9/2023 at 1:58 PM, boscoT said:

Spent some time on the AI app today figuring things out.  

I was going through a bunch of the lighting sequences and downloaded the Eddie Putra one from the AI site.  It’s really good but starts far too early in the morning.  I figured out how to modify the presets today and moved the schedule to start later in the day.  The Eddie putra schedule is about the perfect blend of white and blue light.  I think this will be my light schedule for a while unless I find something else.  

IMG_4071.thumb.png.9206524b18d848b1bf56f7245c477e53.png

I did a bunch of reading and there is very limited information on schedules that people run.  I did read that 6 hour increments will replicate current of the ocean.  So I set my schedule up to replicate the natural changes and set the power from 35% to 45%. The heaviest flow is late at night as a means of blowing debris off of the rock and into the filter at night.  

IMG_4070.thumb.png.a895509e2c9341312104afff07ba4b05.png

Funny I downloaded this preset and thought the exact same thing! Perfect amount of blue/white.  I have mine start later in the morning so we can enjoy the tank after school/work 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Melfy77 said:

Funny I downloaded this preset and thought the exact same thing! Perfect amount of blue/white.  I have mine start later in the morning so we can enjoy the tank after school/work 

Did you keep the full schedule? I went from a 3 hour ramp up to 1 hour at the start.  I think an hour at the end too.  Other than that nothing different 

8 hours ago, boscoT said:

Did you keep the full schedule? I went from a 3 hour ramp up to 1 hour at the start.  I think an hour at the end too.  Other than that nothing different 

Yes I dis shorten the ramp time, probably around 1h30 hour 🙂

Two Week Update

After cycling the tank with ammonia and bacteria, I have been monitoring my basic parameters.  Yesterday I purchased a Hannah Nitrate tester.  I have salifert Amonia.  I have not purchased a nitrite as it always seems like a one and done test to me. 

With that said, my ammonia has dropped to zero.  The water is not clear, but it is more like milky.  My LFS says that means 0 as the water never goes clear due to the testing solution.  White in colour for sure!!!  I then proceeded to use my new Nitrate test kit.  It read 41.5 for nitrate.  

Yesterday I decided to add a little more bacteria to the tank just to be safe.  I purchased a fritz turbo start 900 (1oz) bottle and added it to the tank after I completed my testing. I have noticed a slight yellow tinge to the water and added carbon to the tank to assist with polishing.  I am seeing brown powder on my Nero 3 wave maker and can only summarize that I have entered the diatom stage of life... I am also hoping that the carbon will assist in lowering my phosphates and silicate a bit to aid in the diatom removal.

I think that I am going to avoid doing a no lights treatment as I believe that it will only delay the inevitable.  

I have increased Nero3 from 35%-45% to 45%-55%. I hope the increased water flow will also assist.

Now with light and movement modified I am contemplating a water change.  I believe that the bacteria is not suspended in water and it adheres to the rock etc.  

What are your thoughts on a 20% 4.8gal water change today?  

Although all indicators show that I am ready for a fish, I think that I want to wait this out another few weeks before I start adding fish and food.  

I am considering adding 4 trochus snails today.  I prefer that they can upright themselves and will worry about hair algae if/when it presents

Lastly, is carbon enough?  or should I consider adding something to assist with silica.  I have no corals or life in the tank yet and considering running ROWA phos or something similar.  

The cloudy water may be a small bacterial bloom as the different bacteria populations all balance out. Might just take some time. Water change could help with this as well. 

I say go for a fish! 

29 minutes ago, boscoT said:

or should I consider adding something to assist with silica

Do you know you have a problem with silica?

15 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

The cloudy water may be a small bacterial bloom as the different bacteria populations all balance out. Might just take some time. Water change could help with this as well. 

I say go for a fish! 

Do you know you have a problem with silica?

Water was crystal clear just slight yellow tint to it when looking through side glass with reduced blue.  That does make sense with the second bacteria however.  

I don’t know that for sure but from my reading so far diatom is likely from silica or phosphates.  I assume with a 41.5 nitrate reading that my phosphates are also a bit high.  Will need to purchase a phosphate tester this week too.  

I read somewhere that a skimmer will also assist with diatoms.  I am looking to pick up the Tunze 9004. Maybe sooner than later.  

thoughts on snails? Or hold the course

I always have done a water change after cycling. The amount I usually change is 25-50%, doesn’t have to be exact science. You are ready for a fish at this point. 

Don’t go crazy fighting the diatoms, its no use. You can use a toothbrush and scrub it away just before your water change but they will come back. Just gotta ride out the uglies if you started with 100% dry rock. 

• Like 2

I’d wait on the snails unless they have something to eat but I’m sure they’d be fine. 
with that high of nitrate, phosphate could also have bottomed out. 

diatoms will come and go, nothing to worry about with that stuff imo, unless they linger for more than a month or so. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

I’d wait on the snails unless they have something to eat but I’m sure they’d be fine. 

diatoms will come and go, nothing to worry about with that stuff imo, unless they linger for more than a month or so. 

I plan on a 20% tomorrow as I am making water now.  Thank you!!

23 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

You haven’t failed me yet!!

Thoughts on a skimmer?

2 minutes ago, boscoT said:

I plan on a 20% tomorrow as I am making water now.  Thank you!!

You haven’t failed me yet!!

Thoughts on a skimmer?

😄I’m a big skimmer fan. Even if you don’t need it for nutrient management, the gas exchange is super beneficial. 

• Like 1

Picked up the Tunze 9004 skimmer from Fragbox today.  Got it home and it won’t fit the Reef Casa Vila 24.  Hopefully I am able to return the unit.  Looks like I will be going no skimmer with my setup lol. 

I also picked up Hanna ULR Phosphate and Alkalinity. Fragbox has these really cool colour coded stands for the kits.  

• Sad 1

First water change in the books.  I weighed the salt with a scientific scale and the salt was perfect salinity.  Water was definitely off in colour.  Hopefully a 20% water change will help lower my nitrates.  I will test phosphates and nitrates tomorrow once the tank has a chance to adjust it the water change. 

IMG_4106.thumb.jpeg.3765a77239a3c61b20717c49464aae7b.jpeg

these are the stands that I was talking about.  Really cool little pieces.  I love stuff like this.  

I feel sick about the skimmer… 

IMG_4105.jpeg

• Like 2

I tested my nitrate tonight and it was at 23.2 down from 41.5 before the water change yesterday.  

I also tested my phosphates and they seem very high at 63ppb or .063ppm.  I am reading not to even worry about phosphates and other comments saying do a water change.  Will phosphates drop on their own as this tank matures or should I be getting some sort of phosphate remover this week?  

Also, I heard back from Fragbox and they are absolutely amazing.  They are letting me return the Tunze 9004 and advised that the 9001 skimmer will fit.  So I may just do a swap out.  

On the hunt for two snowflake clowns or gladiators, or frostbytes.   Someone may have to make the decision for me!!!! I will ride the rest of the week out or longer until I find them in stock... 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, boscoT said:

I tested my nitrate tonight and it was at 23.2 down from 41.5 before the water change yesterday.  

I also tested my phosphates and they seem very high at 63ppb or .063ppm.  I am reading not to even worry about phosphates and other comments saying do a water change.  Will phosphates drop on their own as this tank matures or should I be getting some sort of phosphate remover this week?  

Also, I heard back from Fragbox and they are absolutely amazing.  They are letting me return the Tunze 9004 and advised that the 9001 skimmer will fit.  So I may just do a swap out.  

On the hunt for two snowflake clowns or gladiators, or frostbytes.   Someone may have to make the decision for me!!!! I will ride the rest of the week out or longer until I find them in stock... 

my phosphate is .11. Don’t worry to much about it unless it keeps climbing making corals mad or algae is bad. 

I like frostbite clowns. That’s what I got!

• Like 1

Don’t chase phosphates this early. There are many successful reef tanks that run higher phos than that. Some people even claim that its the ratio of nitrates to phosphates and alk that really matter. 

• Like 3

I wasn’t able to find frostbite clowns today but settled in on snowflake clowns.  Picked up two and acclimated them to the tank.  Fingers crossed they love their new home.  Very excited to have some life in the tank.  I also added a bottle of copepods today prior to getting the fish in the tank.  Time to start building this tank. I’ll go 2 weeks and get everything settled before I start adding corals.  

IMG_4144.thumb.jpeg.f598893e22235b8dfb4a272b3576863f.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1