Top Shelf Aquatics

Reef Casa Studio 12 Dream Build

416Reefer

On 8/19/2023 at 6:20 PM, PJPS said:

Eager to see if this works out 👍🏻

I’ve found return flow (even strong with RFGs) not to be enough for acros in my IM 20, but it might work in the Studio 12.  

I went the other way with my studio 12, added the dual RFGs, but added an underpowered pump to slow the flow through the filtration, and added a Nero 3 pulsing gently for in tank flow.  It’s softies and gorgs.

I find managing parameters quite challenging in a 20G all in one, 12 might be pretty challenging with acros in the first 18 months.  Hit the montipora hard and buy cheap slimer acro frags until your tank settles would be my stocking advice for not throwing away money 🤓

Good luck my 🇨🇦 brethren ✊🏻

PS - the rock work looks great!  it’s already NSA, and liferock looks infinitely better when you can keep it as intact as possible.  I use it in both my tanks.

Thank you ! I’m happy with how it worked out so far!

On 8/19/2023 at 6:43 PM, banasophia said:

I love this scape - great job!

Thanks !

This was a big week for both my tanks!  Tuesday was the big switchover day.  Since I also bought a proper stand for the Studio 12 tank I had to take all of the equipment out of the old stand.  I figured while I had everything disassembled I would also clean my gear in my big tank and also clean the sump.  Needless to say that took the better part of the day.  I think I did a better job of wiring this time, it's not great but atleast all of the powerbars etc. are off the ground.  SInce I have 2 tanks hooked up to my Apex there are a lot of wires!

In terms of the tank I took out 90% of the water so I was able to take off the stand without risking breaking it.  I decided to keep all of the live sand and just add new rocks and water.  Once I put the new tank back up on the stand I added the rockwork and refilled it.  Since the rockwork was pretty stable I decided to just use coral glue to attach the two pieces rather than go through the hassle of mixing mortar.. it seems to be holding up.  I am going to keep 3 pieces of anacropora from version 1 of the tank as well as the orange plate coral and the Raptors Peace favia but other than that it will be all new corals.

Since I will be growing acros in this tank (hopefully!) I have changed the spectrum to be quite a bit whiter, since I find that hard corals look better under whiter lights.  Right now I am at 80% navy blue/violet, 40% white and 25% light blue.  I think I will probably end up running the navy blues at 100% eventually but I will ramp them up slowly.

In terms of corals I ordered a handful from Fragbox that I will be picking up next week... I hope the tank's biome wasn't disrupted too badly and they do well but there was a sale on SPS corals so I couldn't resist!

FC080EA1-A08D-4F88-935A-F6F665583654.jpeg

1DE986D5-9E69-4922-BB02-7D7D456B3B59.jpeg

842CBBE3-9707-4B66-9AA8-AD4ABE693105.jpeg

DB715A37-256C-4277-AFF1-5639F71225D1.jpeg

5C59B43B-9022-4963-92A8-E7C0E7A1AB4D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
5 hours ago, 416Reefer said:

Sorry for the radio silence. Life got very busy!

I’ve moved over to Instagram. Check me out @beachesreefer

Cheers!

Followed 🤗😊