Cultivated Reef

Hammer coral dying

Aellery

Looking for help! Not having any luck with hammer corals in my tank. They seem to do great for a week or two then next thing you know they close up then slowly die. Currently have a 25 gallon lagoon tank that has been running for 7 months. Levels are normal and when I mean normal nothing is too high or to low. Coralline alge is starting to grow so tank has to be settled in. 

currant parameters are 

temp 77.5 to 78.2 swings now a little due to the cold 

salinity 35ppm 

nitrate is 5ppm to 10ppm 

Ph is 8.0

alk is 7.8 dkh (thinking this is the issue) 

mag 1350 sometimes 1400 

cal 420 

nitrite 0 

amm 0 

flow is two Nero 3 pumps running at a high of 35% max low as 10% depends on flow pattern. 
lights are hydra 32 running at about 30% 

fish are doing great looking for any advice if possible. Maybe LPS are not made for my tank. Have lost two branching hammers and looking like I may loose a wall hammer. And one head on my torch coral. 
looking to stop the bleeding. Thank I’m advance. 

Fellow beginner, that's got a really healthy Hammer frag in 10 gallon.

Parameters look good - what light are you using.  An Article I'm reading  now suggests Hammers need 120 - 170 par.

Perhaps Placement of coral could be issue ?

-------------- from article linked above ---

Not opening 

Hammer coral may have problems with opening up when first transferred to a new tank. If your newly purchased (or fragged) coral is not opening for 1 to 3 days, that is normal. Give it some time to adjust. Once 3 days are gone, and your hammer coral is still retracted or shrunk, experiment with placing. For example,  If the coral lived on the sandbed, replace it to the corner, sit on the living rock, etc. Most of the time, replacing solves the problem. If your hammer coral is still not opening up, adjust water parameters

-----

Also, is your Hammer a wall coral frag or branching. I've read online that fragging wall Hammers  has a lesser success rate vs branching Hammers

• Thanks 1

I didn't see a phosphate reading in your list of water parameters. Almost every coral we keep can be upset by phosphate bottoming out.  Do you happen to know what the phosphate level is in your tank?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Aellery said:

Looking for help! Not having any luck with hammer corals in my tank. They seem to do great for a week or two then next thing you know they close up then slowly die. Currently have a 25 gallon lagoon tank that has been running for 7 months. Levels are normal and when I mean normal nothing is too high or to low. Coralline alge is starting to grow so tank has to be settled in. 

currant parameters are 

temp 77.5 to 78.2 swings now a little due to the cold 

salinity 35ppm 

nitrate is 5ppm to 10ppm 

Ph is 8.0

alk is 7.8 dkh (thinking this is the issue) 

mag 1350 sometimes 1400 

cal 420 

nitrite 0 

amm 0 

flow is two Nero 3 pumps running at a high of 35% max low as 10% depends on flow pattern. 
lights are hydra 32 running at about 30% 

fish are doing great looking for any advice if possible. Maybe LPS are not made for my tank. Have lost two branching hammers and looking like I may loose a wall hammer. And one head on my torch coral. 
looking to stop the bleeding. Thank I’m advance. 

may want to pick up a good phosphate kit. I like hannah low range. PO4 is very important for euphyllia.

Alk 7.8 is fine. Natural sea water is 7. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, empresto said:

I didn't see a phosphate reading in your list of water parameters. Almost every coral we keep can be upset by phosphate bottoming out.  Do you happen to know what the phosphate level is in your tank?

Thank you forgot to put my phosphate they are currently at .08 I use Hanna checker for it. 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

Just throwing this out there, because all your parameters seem within range, but you may have an euphyllia eating polyclad. 

Have you had any issues with any other corals, other than your euphyllia?

• Like 2