Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fluval Evo 13.5 Filtration Upgrade

Kpatel28

Hello all, 

So I have been running my Fluval Evo 13.5 a little over a month now and I am thinking about upgrading the filtration. Currently I am using the filtration that was provided with the tank: 

-Sponge Media

-Bio Media

-Chem-pure elite (subbed it in for the activated carbon, though I did put the activated carbon in chamber 1)

I am also running the Fluval protein skimmer. I've already upgraded the pump to the Eheim Compact 1000 and put two 1/4 RFGs to replace the two flat nozzles that come with the tank. 

Essentially what I am asking is, any suggestions on upgrading the filtration? I did purchase a replacement media basket for chamber 2 that will open up my options for different media. I know filter floss is good to go with...any other suggestions on what's been working and what hasn't? 

TIA

I removed all the filtration that came with my evo (sponge, bio media etc) and built a DIY rack out of eggcrate. Additionally i have bunged the hole in the partition wall which has improved the flow from the stock filter by a lot. I also installed a small piece of plastic behind the weir to increase the water level in the display and target the filter floss in my media rack. 

Sounds like without adding another powerhead to the display tank you have more or less done everything that most people do when upgrading the tanks 

• Like 1
less than bread

Sounds pretty good to me. I ran floss after the overflow chamber in mine. Chamber 2 I plugged the dumb hole at the bottom (no idea why they did that) and had my heater and UV sterilizer (don't think it really did anything but it looked cool in there so I left it). Return chamber I had a bag of carbon. I didn't have any media in my set up mostly for ease of maintenance and I had enough live rock in the display, no need for added biological matter. Those media baskets are sweet though and I have one in my current 20 gallon tank.

• Like 1

I am using the intank chamber 1 media basket with floss at the top. Had chemipure blue nano in the second slot but recently removed since my NO3 and PO4 are bottoming out. Will replace with just ROX carbon from BRS. Had live rock rubble in the third slot--currently empty bc I needed more islands. If using the Intank media basket with floss + a strong pump (I have sicce 1.0 with 2 RFGs), the chamber 1 level rises over the edge when the floss gets dirty letting all the water drain down the sides--so, I put spline in the back and side of the media basket to stopper the water--still working on this issue.

Anyway, I like the Intank basket, so if you have ~$50 to spare, I think it is worth it. 

• Like 1

First time posting. Been lurking for a few weeks.

I also have an Evo 13.5. I have had it for a year. After a year of using the skimmer that comes with it I have pushed aside the skimmer for an alternative. Too much crap was getting by the skimmer and hanging around the filtration section. I have some green hair algae issues and I need to starve it out and I didn't feel like constructing something so I got the overpriced in-tank media baskets.

(see attachment) I only just started this new method this week. Ignore the denitrate in the bottom section. That is in the second chamber. In the bottom part of chamber 1 I have some chaeto and I am repurposing an old display tank light (marine nano 3.0) as a reefugium light.

The floss got pretty dirty over the course of 4 days. It seems to be grabbing most of the crap. I plan on cleaning the sponges below the floss every week. Replace them with clean ones as I clean the old ones and dry them out.

20211229_175049.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm definitely going with the inTank media basket in chamber 2...I will definitely consider changing out the skimmer for a media basket in chamber 1 too!  

• Like 1