Cultivated Reef

Josh's Softy Reef(s)

joshthebox

10 minutes ago, Jaren45 said:

Does the really long green polyp toadstool have a common name? I know you're not in the states but I would love to track something like that down

It's a 'Japanese weeping willow'. I've seen plenty of toadstools sold under that name that are completely different though. This one has super thin tentacles and tiny white polyps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Josh, tank looks awesome! Following along.

I noticed you're also in Ontario. I have a question, where did you get a yellow Fiji leather of that size? How long have you had it? 

• Agree 1
7 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

Hey Josh, tank looks awesome! Following along.

I noticed you're also in Ontario. I have a question, where did you get a yellow Fiji leather of that size? How long have you had it? 

Right on, thanks!

I got it from a local LFS of mine here in the GTA a few years ago, I could PM you the store name if you'd like. I haven't seen them bring any in since that time though. My fiji was much smaller when I bought it, but still a fair size when compared to current day frags. It was pretty much a nice chunk taken out of the ocean (was even on some LR). I noticed that Canada corals had some fiji colonies for sale about a month ago(?), so maybe reach out to them? 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, joshthebox said:

Right on, thanks!

I got it from a local LFS of mine here in the GTA a few years ago, I could PM you the store name if you'd like. I haven't seen them bring any in since that time though. My fiji was much smaller when I bought it, but still a fair size when compared to current day frags. It was pretty much a nice chunk taken out of the ocean (was even on some LR). I noticed that Canada corals had some fiji colonies for sale about a month ago(?), so maybe reach out to them? 

Thanks for the info! Love how simple and perfect your tank is. Ill check out Canada corals this week. Cheers! 

• Like 2

All is well here. The reefer nano is also doing amazing, and the real weeping willow bounced back very well in the tank. Will have to get a FTS of both systems soon. I also fragged my OG Japanese Willow. Gave some frags to my buddies and set aside one for growout in the reefer. The colony has recovered nicely and is starting to polyp out again. I always hate fragging my corals, but I feel like it's necessary for safety purposes (to have backups!). 

IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

• Like 3
  • Wow 2

Upgraded my Reef Octopus classic 150 int to the elite model. This thing is a beast. Super quiet, and the DC pump with the float valve is a great touch. Will use the classic on a build I have in the works (rimless 48x18x12), all I need now is a stand. 

My real weeping willow has started to open up again after shedding for like 2.5 months. Polyps are still short but they're getting longer by the day. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoTdll0jUbE/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
7 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

So it's got a float valve in the skimmer cup?

Yep! When the float is activated the DC pump turns off. I've never had a skimmer overflow on me before but it's a nice feature, especially when i'm away from the tank for an extended period of time! 

• Like 1

Just some random shots. Both tanks are doing good. I'm trying out more of a blue spectrum, as I've always been fascinated by jason fox's methodology of blue lighting. 

Weeping willow dropped a tiny baby so i'm keeping it in the shallow cube as a backup LOL 

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

IMG_0867 2.jpg

IMG_0869 2.JPG

IMG_0891.jpg

• Like 4
  • joshthebox changed the title to Josh's Softy Reef(s)
On 1/28/2023 at 6:33 PM, joshthebox said:

All is well here. The reefer nano is also doing amazing, and the real weeping willow bounced back very well in the tank. Will have to get a FTS of both systems soon. I also fragged my OG Japanese Willow. Gave some frags to my buddies and set aside one for growout in the reefer. The colony has recovered nicely and is starting to polyp out again. I always hate fragging my corals, but I feel like it's necessary for safety purposes (to have backups!). 

IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

Pure🔥. I hope my new build gets like that 🤘🏻

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, joshthebox said:

Just some random shots. Both tanks are doing good. I'm trying out more of a blue spectrum, as I've always been fascinated by jason fox's methodology of blue lighting. 

Weeping willow dropped a tiny baby so i'm keeping it in the shallow cube as a backup LOL 

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

IMG_0867 2.jpg

IMG_0869 2.JPG

IMG_0891.jpg

More 🔥 btw

Blue is easier on the coral according to Jason Fox, Jake Adams, Andrew Sandler, WWC, (and me).  When my SPS struggle, I run all blue, they look plumper.

On 1/21/2023 at 10:46 PM, joshthebox said:

It's a 'Japanese weeping willow'. I've seen plenty of toadstools sold under that name that are completely different though. This one has super thin tentacles and tiny white polyps. 

Mine is the fragbox “Japanese Deepwater Long Tentacle”, so I imagine it could be a leather from literally anywhere.  It’s nice though… murdering my sticks at the moment, but nice enough to get it it’s own tank.  The opposite experience I have with most of their coral.

10 hours ago, PJPS said:

Mine is the fragbox “Japanese Deepwater Long Tentacle”, so I imagine it could be a leather from literally anywhere.  It’s nice though… murdering my sticks at the moment, but nice enough to get it it’s own tank.  The opposite experience I have with most of their coral.

Mine has lineage to reef raft. I've seen the ones fragbox sells, they don't look like mine 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, joshthebox said:

Mine has lineage to reef raft. I've seen the ones fragbox sells, they don't look like mine 

100% yours is nicer :).  all my RR is SPS... except maybe a gonni?  I heard ther's no more RRC on Fragbox TV.  March mentiooned that he'd heard it was no more, so 🤷‍♂️

Anyhow, I'm thoroughly jealous of that nice tank 🙂

27 minutes ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

Great looking tank!  I love tanks with mature corals.  I skimmed the whole thread but must have missed what happened to the clams?

Tom

Clams remained healthy and well! My annoying clownfish pair decided to take a liking to them, and constantly bothered the clams as they attempted to use them as a host. I had to either get rid of the clowns or the clams, so I chose to rehome the clams 😄 I'll definitely keep clams again one day as they're my favourite reef animal. I'll just make sure there's no clownfish in the same tank lol. 

• Like 2

Ahhhh, that pink toadstool is so perfect ❤️

Dream coral right there!
Up there with Pink Nepthea and Pulsing Pink Sinularia, oh and -you know- that drop-dead gorgeous yellow fiji you've got XD

• Like 1
  • Agree 1