Cultivated Reef

Josh's Softy Reef(s)

joshthebox

11 hours ago, joshthebox said:

Yes, the large leather in the centre is a Fiji yellow! My favourite soft coral 

Another one of my favorites...  That was the first coral I put in my aquarium when I started it.  That one you have is nice, it's a beauty!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Zer0 said:

Beautiful as always!

Have you changed anything with your setup that could be making the willow unhappy?

I appreciate that! 

It's a new addition so perhaps it never fully adjusted to the tank. It was open for about a week before deciding to close up. I've had leathers do this before, but never for this long. It's also growing some film on it, which I've also never experienced in the past. Not sure why it's doing this! Will keep the thread updated on how it goes.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, daisies_for_darby said:

Wow! Your tanks look incredible! 

Question for you, did you like your ATI Sunpower Light on your old 20 gallon reef/how does it compare to having LEDs now?

Thank you!

I really love the Sunpower! The only reason why i'm not using a larger model Sunpower is because I was able to pick up my current fixture for dirt cheap. On this setup I am running a hybrid fixture. I barely use the radion (only have it on 4-5%) and rely on the T5 bulbs to light the tank. If I could find a used 6-8 bulb Sunpower for cheap I'd run it in a heart beat. There's just something about T5 that I really like. Plus the build quality and components on the Sunpower are superb. 

daisies_for_darby

Ah okay!

Haha yes, they aren’t the cheapest type of light. I’ve been eyeing the ATI sunpower fixtures; I really like the look they give as well (well, the look T5 lights give in general). Thanks for the response!

• Like 1
daisies_for_darby
On 9/25/2022 at 7:32 PM, joshthebox said:

Dipped my "new" weeping willow in iodine againIMG_0786.thumb.jpg.02af41342654290c3bf15bfef551b9d5.jpgIMG_8988.thumb.JPG.671bd2674fb7f7ab4f0593b64be28914.JPG

This looks like a failed dish we pulled out of our smoker last Sunday 😅

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
37 minutes ago, daisies_for_darby said:

This looks like a failed dish we pulled out of our smoker last Sunday 😅

Haha! It started shedding it's skin a few days ago, and the polyps are starting to extend. I'm surprised it bounced back! Will post a photo of it once it fully opens. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, ptora said:

Haha, the WW was scared when you mentioned it was going to get fragged 😂

I can say that as a joke now that it has started to open up lol

Funny you say that because it looks like it's shedding again!!!! The cap has shed it's skin, but the base is still peeling. The polyps were coming out, but I noticed just yesterday that the cap has a shiny surface again... This willow is annoying me 🤣 at least now I know that even when it looks dead, it's still fine. 

• Haha 1

Future tank build incoming. I plan to keep my current one running, and use this larger system to house overgrown stuff and focus on propagation. I just need a custom steel stand build and i'll be good to set it up (I have plenty of lights and pumps lying around etc.). 48x18x12 shallow rimless tank, and trigger systems 30 elite sump. I'll get a baby yellow tang for this setup!  

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 4
  • joshthebox changed the title to Josh's Softy Reef(s)