Cultivated Reef

The "No More Dinos, Please?!?" IM 10 (9to5 Contest)

kimberbee

I still need to finish making some RO/DI for making saltwater to fill up the tank. I'm hoping I'll have that done by the end of the weekend. 

In the meantime, these silly cats keep taking turns being catfish. I put some nik-nacks around the tank so they wouldn't be able to jump up on the stand, but instead they jump right into the tank. Guess I need to remember to always put the lid on!! 

Screenshot_20211001-094559_Instagram.thumb.jpg.220bdb471e342b46edc53ba5c5162e3e.jpg

Screenshot_20211001-100142_Instagram.thumb.jpg.a377e11f83b78ea692cfce332dc52bd2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 14
31 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I am jealous. I love setting up new tanks. Unfortunately right now maintaining one tank is all I can manage. So I will follow yours. 

I'll be tearing down one tank to set this up instead. My tanks are overrun with dino, and have been for almost a year. This is my last effort to have a dino free aquarium. It's been super frustrating!

• Like 4
6 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I still need to finish making some RO/DI for making saltwater to fill up the tank. I'm hoping I'll have that done by the end of the weekend. 

In the meantime, these silly cats keep taking turns being catfish. I put some nik-nacks around the tank so they wouldn't be able to jump up on the stand, but instead they jump right into the tank. Guess I need to remember to always put the lid on!! 

Screenshot_20211001-094559_Instagram.thumb.jpg.220bdb471e342b46edc53ba5c5162e3e.jpg

Screenshot_20211001-100142_Instagram.thumb.jpg.a377e11f83b78ea692cfce332dc52bd2.jpg

Absolutely adorable.

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, kimberbee said:

They are too cute. 😊

Yay, new tank……….no whammies!!

• Thanks 1
On 10/1/2021 at 12:00 PM, kimberbee said:

I'll be tearing down one tank to set this up instead. My tanks are overrun with dino, and have been for almost a year. This is my last effort to have a dino free aquarium. It's been super frustrating!

Are you transferring any of the livestock from the shut down tank to the new tank? I ask because dino does transfer.

Unfortunately, it happened to me twice.

Also don't share any maintenance equipment between tanks because it transfers that way as well.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Are you transferring any of the livestock from the shut down tank to the new tank? I ask because dino does transfer.

Yeah, unfortunately it's a risk I'm willing to take at this point. 🤷‍♀️

10 hours ago, Instant_taco said:

152092562_main-qimg-cfcc06379f4c0f949a1e61f792b7f3f6-pjlq2.jpg.cf0c7e969790888141b15677986c9475.jpg

I'm sorry but I had to.

I'm also getting tired of my mother coming over and saying, "So what are you doing with these fish tanks? They look awful. Are you getting rid of them yet?" 

You know it's bad when a non-reef person thinks the tank looks like crap. Even more frustrating when they don't understand there's no magic wand to fix it. 

I'm moving my tanks out of the main living area so hopefully those comments stop. And maaaayyybe I can get ahead of the dinos. 🤞

• Like 3
  • Sad 4
2 hours ago, gena said:

How many tanks do you have running right now?  

Two reefs and one planted freshwater. 

The freshwater tank is in a sunny spot and has become overrun with algae. 😬

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Wow 1

There are some fairly harsh things that people have used to try to prevent transferring dinos (like peroxide solutions and low salinity dips).  However, not all corals will tolerate these treatments, and encysted dinos can still be transferred.  I'm not sure if resorting to something like Dino-X prior to the transfer would be of any benefit or not (it might just add more stress). :unsure:

A three day blackout followed by pouring fresh saltwater over the frags being transferred should be well tolerated and still "reduce" the amount of dinos coming into the new system, but it most likely won't get rid of them.

13 hours ago, joshthebox said:

Try starting the tank with live rock! The cured rock should prevent any dino issues. 

Ditching the sand bed and using freshly cycled live rock from the ocean might be your best bet to combat (compete with and control) the remaining dinos.  IDK, some people say that most tanks have some dinos and it's just the blooms that are problematic.  So bringing in new biodiversity through live rock (and live sand) from the ocean might be worth a shot.

If you haven't already, remove the sand bed from the existing system.  While not my preference, I'd be tempted to run the new tank bare bottom for awhile too.  Then, down the road, add cycled live sand from the ocean if you really want a sand bed.

Your other option might be starting completely over.  Maybe use your old tank as a quarantine to keep your existing livestock alive until the dino bloom finally fades away.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure what I'm going to do. The cats won't leave the new set up alone.

If I put things on the stand around the tank so they can't jump up, they just jump straight up onto the tank. I've found the lid in the tank on multiple mornings, water dripping all over the sides on the tank.

They also sit next to the tank pawing at the water flowing through the back chambers. 😑

• Sad 1
  • Wow 3

In tank makes a filter section cover could help keep them out the back....mine only learned after I left the glass lid off and she jumped straight in my 20g. That was fun...

Try training with a squirt bottle it might help...seems it works on some cats but not on others. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
26 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

In tank makes a filter section cover could help keep them out the back....mine only learned after I left the glass lid off and she jumped straight in my 20g. That was fun...

Try training with a squirt bottle it might help...seems it works on some cats but not on others. 

My cat and the spray bottle

10DF1319-9C06-4064-84F3-270708E9B349.gif.1bbb00d1f86973684de865f3428c74a4.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
4 hours ago, kimberbee said:

If I put things on the stand around the tank so they can't jump up, they just jump straight up onto the tank. I've found the lid in the tank on multiple mornings, water dripping all over the sides on the tank.

Maybe try sheets of aluminum foil? :unsure:  Hopefully they'll eventually lose interest.

Besides the catfish, how are things coming along with the tank?

• Like 3
On 10/28/2021 at 8:56 PM, kimberbee said:

Not sure what I'm going to do. The cats won't leave the new set up alone.

They also sit next to the tank pawing at the water flowing through the back chambers. 😑

Sounds exactly like my IM10g. I have the lid literally duct taped on right now. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
18 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Sounds exactly like my IM10g. I have the lid literally duct taped on right now. 

Taking everything off the stand around the tank seemed to help. They stopped jumping up onto the tank directly. I knew they had still been going on the stand, but thought the still empty tank wasn't very entertaining to them.

Nope. Found one of the cats on top of the tank this morning, trying to get at the water flowing in the back. 🤦‍♀️

BRB, gonna go put foil around the whole thing. 

• Haha 6
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

Taking everything off the stand around the tank seemed to help. They stopped jumping up onto the tank directly. I knew they had still been going on the stand, but thought the still empty tank wasn't very entertaining to them.

Nope. Found one of the cats on top of the tank this morning, trying to get at the water flowing in the back. 🤦‍♀️

BRB, gonna go put foil around the whole thing. 

My youngest loves foil... he thinks it is fun to shred it. LOL

The one useful thing he does for the tank... is he loves to pull algae out. He will pull it out of my overflow and leave it on the lid since that is all he has access to now. I literally just spent like $400 on special lids to keep the cats out. 

When I first bought my IM25g... as I was filling it up with saltwater for the first time... my girl Akira jumped in and was having a pool party. 

Oh and the ATI fixtures are cat swings. 

Never a boring moment...

• Haha 6

So... 

Someone stepped in poop, and jumped up on the tank. The mesh separated from the frame, and poop-foot water splashed everywhere. What a mess.

🤬 cat... 

I'm going to have to drain and refill the tank again. I don't know why this tank is so appealing. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 5
  • Wow 1