Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The "No More Dinos, Please?!?" IM 10 (9to5 Contest)

kimberbee

So, I'm still working on getting this tank up and running. 

The cats have actually collapsed the mesh on all 3 aquarium tops. Though, I suspect it's really just one of the cats - he jumps up on the display area, and then sits on the mesh while playing with the water in the back chambers. The mesh gets pulled out of the frame and becomes saggy, as well as leaving a gap where the mesh has been pulled away from the frame. (Hopefully that explanation makes some sense)

I've tried to remove the spline and re-seat the mesh, but the spline on two of the lids (IM factory ones) has become brittle with age. It keeps breaking/crumbling and therefore doesn't have great grip after repeated repair. 

I'm getting pretty frustrated with the whole thing. 

• Sad 3
  • Wow 3
2 hours ago, growsomething said:

I got the new factory top, but it's much thinner mesh than the 5 yo mesh, better for the lighting, but I'm not sure it would bear the weight of a cat.

Maine Coon Mixes too, so they are 12 and 14 lbs! 😬

49 minutes ago, ef4life said:

Window screen spline is cheap and available at hardware stores, the cheap little roller tool helps with seating it in the screen frame.

I have standard screen spline (one of the tops is DIY window screen) and it does not fit in the groove of the IM tops, I've tried. (too small)

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
On 12/17/2021 at 9:41 AM, kimberbee said:

Maine Coon Mixes too, so they are 12 and 14 lbs! 😬

I have standard screen spline (one of the tops is DIY window screen) and it does not fit in the groove of the IM tops, I've tried. (too small)

Huh, that’s crazy. I thought it was all the same, but I guess it makes sense there would be different diameters for different types and thickness of screens. If you have a vernier caliper try to get an accurate diameter  of the old spline and see if you can find it or close to it on Amazon, Or shoot an email to im and see if they can help.

• Like 2

My cats are evil and naughty too. Always breaking things, swinging on light, I zip tied all the cords down.... or knocking lids or I find the screen half off. I actually have some of my lids taped on. 

badbitch-cat.gif

• Haha 7