ReefCleaners.org

Penny's Lane Movin' On Up-Retired

Pjanssen

• Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane Movin' On Up-started fluconazole 7/17/22

You should see major changes within the first week.  But depending on the species, it might take two to three weeks to fully complete the treatment (certain GHA can take up to a month).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

So one week in and no noticeable change in the bryopsis or hair algae. That being said, there also seems to be no new growth from either so I'm going to call that progress and continue to hold out hope that the Fluconazole will eventually work it's magic.

• Like 3
Murphs_Reef
On 7/24/2022 at 1:58 AM, Pjanssen said:

So one week in and no noticeable change in the bryopsis or hair algae. That being said, there also seems to be no new growth from either so I'm going to call that progress and continue to hold out hope that the Fluconazole will eventually work it's magic.

I found that week 1 and 2 where frustrating.. but sticking with it and not getting to involved (trying other stuff) in weeks 3 and absolutely by week 4, algae was gone. 

• Like 3
OfficeReefer

@Pjanssen I recently caught up on your thread after a few months and noticed the GHA and valonia. Have you considered a UV sterilizer with some changes to your piping?

This technique has worked wonders for me in the past until I could get other elements in control. I didn't have to dose anything that put the tank at risk.

7 hours ago, OfficeReefer said:

@Pjanssen I recently caught up on your thread after a few months and noticed the GHA and valonia. Have you considered a UV sterilizer with some changes to your piping?

This technique has worked wonders for me in the past until I could get other elements in control. I didn't have to dose anything that put the tank at risk.

tell me more...(please)

• Like 1
OfficeReefer

I did find a useful thread on R2R uv-sterilizer-any-downsides.898660

I don't know I saw many of them on the Nano forums. I recommend a UV, along with other natural tools like you are using with chaeto, to help balance out the undesirable algae with the bad. Keep in mind that this will remove other things you may not want, so those with gorgonians, sinularia, scarcos, etc. may not want this as it will remove their food sources.

In your case, using this with something like emeralds will help steal the show from the GHA and any busted valonia you of the crabs remove. There are numerous models but a 15-30w should be sufficient for the Reefer 250. Hope this helps and good luck!

• Thanks 1
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane Movin' On Up-Retired