Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Penny's Lane Movin' On Up-Retired

Pjanssen

4 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Why dandy I think of that?!1

*didnt

I didn't think about it when my ink bird went out until someone mentioned it either😄.  FYI inbirds are trash imo.  Had 2 fail on me. Turned off my heater and tank got cold. Luckily tank handled the cold pretty well.  Just pissed off corals..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
2 hours ago, FISHnChix said:

I didn't think about it when my ink bird went out until someone mentioned it either😄.  FYI inbirds are trash imo.  Had 2 fail on me. Turned off my heater and tank got cold. Luckily tank handled the cold pretty well.  Just pissed off corals..

I use the thermo pen in the tank all the time............ I like to compare and make sure things are working correctly....... to many times the water feels cold to me but is actually right on par with what it should be..... 

• Like 6
10 hours ago, FISHnChix said:

Oh I have been getting this little chestnut recently.. of course only when I am at work and not at home.. 

A mythical crystal has failed according to the error... 

Screenshot_20220121-185451.png

• Like 1

I guess the InkBird has to go. In this instance though it was an eheim that over heated. The InkBird started giving me alarms several weeks ago so I disconnected it and ran the eheim which was always reliable in my 29. I haven’t even had time to do a water change let alone trouble shoot equipment. image.png.287623ad15a2d359a798db71fd2e2761.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 4
Christopher Marks

Hmm, this makes me think I should double check my Inkbird controller and test with another thermometer, now that it is a few years in use. I had one seemingly random alarm a few weeks ago. Years ago some members were coating the probes with silicone as a preventative measure.

• Like 6
17 hours ago, Murphych said:

Oh I have been getting this little chestnut recently.. of course only when I am at work and not at home.. 

A mythical crystal has failed according to the error... 

Screenshot_20220121-185451.png

Maybe you need to reset its chakras 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Hmm, this makes me think I should double check my Inkbird controller and test with another thermometer, now that it is a few years in use. I had one seemingly random alarm a few weeks ago. Years ago some members were coating the probes with silicone as a preventative measure.

I’ve got thermometer redundancy on both of my tanks for that reason. I have one of the new wifi ink birds on both tanks now so I can watch them remotely, but the big tank is also on an apex and I keep the little

cheapo digital thermometers on them too. Heaters just aren’t dependable.

• Like 3

Just did about a 30% water change. More than I would normally like to do, but since it's been some time since it's been done I felt it necessary. As seen by the picture above, some sort undesirable growth is occurring throughout. Hopefully I can get it managed.

I'm switching salts from Tropic Marin Pro to ESV B Ionic. I was happy with their 2 part system that I used in the 29, so maybe I'll see some improvement in the coral growth and color. Switching over slowly, using only 2 of the 20 gallons changed out.

Seeing a couple of baby heads on the hammer, so whatever pissed it off last year is hopefully over with.

The Duncan continues to be the star of the tank.

The Zoas are growing, but not colored up like I'd like-any suggestions welcomed.

Same with the acans-couple of baby heads, but colors just not as deep as they use to be.

I've ramped up the white light intensity a bit to see if that helps with coloring.

Fish all seem to be doing well and include

the 2 clowns, hawkfish, basslet, and a new coral beauty.

I'd like to add some shrimp, but find the prices for even the most basic of them to be outrageous right now. Maybe they'll come down at some point.

Maybe I can get some photos tonight.

• Like 5

I'm not convinced the ink bird is the problem, might actually be the heater, which is just a 200 watt bulk reef/generic heater. I reset the ink bird with a lower temp alarm, and it hasn't gone off. However, water temp will not go above 96°, even though I have it set for 98°.

23 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I'm not convinced the ink bird is the problem, might actually be the heater, which is just a 200 watt bulk reef/generic heater. I reset the ink bird with a lower temp alarm, and it hasn't gone off. However, water temp will not go above 96°, even though I have it set for 98°.

For what it's worth Inkbird snagged a contract with CVS and a few other pharmaceutical groups and their quality hasn't kept-up with the ramp in production, constant headaches for everyone now contractually-obligated to use their gear.

It may finally be the time for folks to just bite the bullet and grab Ranco's or Johnston's.

Hope it's not the heater itself!

• Like 1

@Pjanssen Was the reefer 250 your only consideration or did you also consider the RS Max E260? I ask this because many folks commented on the lack of space under this unit for the sump with ATO and other items?

Were you able to get all these items cleanly away from sight? Have you changed the sump?

• Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane Movin' On Up-Retired