inTank Media Baskets

Too much flow for my clownfish?

keirb

i got a pair 4 days ago and they are always on the top left from my aquarium, never seen them go anywhere else and they seem to struggle with the flow. They have been eating since 3 days but only small amounts. Are they just getting used to the tank or is there something else wrong

i have a blue marine reef 60 with an additional pump. Brand is tunze but I forgot the what the exact one was?

We'd probably have to know the exact model before we can give you an answer. 

But flow usually isn't a huge for fish. Especially something like clowns. Clowns can be weird. Mine sleeps at the grate of the overflow in the front top corner of the tank. 

They are odd sometimes... i think yours are fine. Maybe just adapting to the new tank. 

• Thanks 1

they probably love that struggle with the flow. expect 2 or 3 weeks before they act normally, because it takes a while for fish to adjust to a new environment.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, paulsz said:

We'd probably have to know the exact model before we can give you an answer. 

But flow usually isn't a huge for fish. Especially something like clowns. Clowns can be weird. Mine sleeps at the grate of the overflow in the front top corner of the tank. 

They are odd sometimes... i think yours are fine. Maybe just adapting to the new tank. 

It is a tunze turbelle nanostream 6020

8 hours ago, keirb said:

It is a tunze turbelle nanostream 6020

No, you don't have anywhere close to too much flow and you will probably want more flow if you've got corals! If you are a fan of the nanostream, a second one would do the trick in a 60 cube. 

To give you peace of mind with your clowns, in my last tank I had roughly 3200 gallons per hour of flow (more than 4x your flow) in a tank 1/3 the size for many years and my clowns were perfectly happy in that tank for more than a decade!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, jservedio said:

No, you don't have anywhere close to too much flow and you will probably want more flow if you've got corals! If you are a fan of the nanostream, a second one would do the trick in a 60 cube. 

To give you peace of mind with your clowns, in my last tank I had roughly 3200 gallons per hour of flow (more than 4x your flow) in a tank 1/3 the size for many years and my clowns were perfectly happy in that tank for more than a decade!

Thank you so much this is exactly what i needed to hear!

Clownfish seem to find a favorite space in the tank and just hang there most of the time.  At least in my 10 gallon.  When I had a 2nd fish in there, clown would visit him, but I lost my little guy and clown is back to hovering aroudn his favorite rock. 

Will go into direct flow from powehead or HOB filter in my tank for exercise and then find his favorite spot to hover around or swim through powerhead's cord.

My clown is a hearty eater of Brine shrimp, slowly buiding up an appetite for Mysis shrimp, nibbles on flakes sparingly and pellets will eat ti he's full.  I try to rotate them into meals for variety. 

• Thanks 1
rough eye
8 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

Clownfish seem to find a favorite space in the tank and just hang there most of the time. 

i suspect mine spent a lot of time hovering below my return during his first few weeks in my tank because he was sleeping during the day. i think he was stressed enough by his new surroundings that he didn't sleep well at night. but i still notice him going back to that shadier area after a big meal, possibly for a nap (i think). 

7 hours ago, rough eye said:

i suspect mine spent a lot of time hovering below my return during his first few weeks in my tank because he was sleeping during the day. i think he was stressed enough by his new surroundings that he didn't sleep well at night. but i still notice him going back to that shadier area after a big meal, possibly for a nap (i think). 

Probably so,

As a first SW fish, I thought mine was sick until I learned night behavior was normal.  Sleeping under HOB filter, til I changed my flow direction.  Now he floats on his side behind the powerhead.  Anything to get away from water flow at night for a good sleep.  

Strange fish behaviors but that's what makes em so interesting.