Top Shelf Aquatics

39 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I've never quarantine any of the others fish

I'd say that you've been lucky in the past.  And when first stocking a tank, you aren't really risking much.  However, with other fish in your display, you are potentially risking losing all of them.

40 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

they were all at the lfs a few weeks before I took them home. 

That could be good or bad.  Fish can get exposed to all sorts of parasites and diseases in those shared systems.  QT systems make sense, plus you had an operational tank with working biofilter.

Kindanewtothis
10 minutes ago, seabass said:

plus you had an operational tank with working biofilter.

Maybe I should have keep it as a QT for that last fish because a goby for the pistol is the last fish going in this tank (except if one dies)

20211211_142434.jpg

Kindanewtothis
On 12/9/2021 at 6:52 AM, seabass said:

I've purchased them before.  So yeah, I'd probably transfer a few small worms.  With a pistol shrimp churning up your substrate, I doubt that they will get out of control.

I finally decided to follow your advice, I took a few worms from the 10g

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis

@seabass Thinking about reseting the 10g to set it up as a QT tank. If it's running empty I suppose it would not ask for much maintenance?

Now there are no rocks in it and the bio-media in the hob filter is dry.

There is still half the water in the 10g and all the sand.

There is one rock in the 50g that I could take easily and I don't think it would affect flow too much. I could use that rock for the 10g.

Would it cycle again? I have time since I need to find another YWG.

I suppose keeping a Qt tank just in case is not as much work as a regular tank and it was the original plan.

Candy Corals asked for a pic of the fish, I sent them the video of the twitching. Idk maybe they'll give me a store credit.

Kindanewtothis
On 12/4/2021 at 1:37 PM, Kindanewtothis said:

Phosphate 0.18 starting to think about using the phosphate remover pad I still have to take it to 0.10

Nitrate 2.5 still low but I now feed more since there are more fishs so I expect it to go up naturaly.

Phosphate 0.23

Nitrate 2.78

20211212_105113.jpg

1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Would it cycle again?

You mean an ammonia spike?  That depends on the state of the biological filter and if there was much die-off.  But the bacteria strains should still be present.

• Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, DevilDuck said:

If your corals look fine with phosphate a .23ppm why worry about it?

Doesn't it encourage algae growth ? Diatoms?

Kindanewtothis
16 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Phosphate remover have been in the canister for 4 hours. 0 change, still 0.23. Will test again tonight.

It was 0.22 last night, 0.20 this morning.

I'm glad this goes slowly, will test again tonight. I'm aiming for 0.10 / 0.15. I don't want low phosphate, I just want lower hoping it will reduce diatoms on the walls a little and that's it.

Diatoms will go away once silicate is depleted.  The bloom itself, along with removing the diatoms, (like from siphoning them out) will help rid your tank of silicate.

Phosphate is like other parameters, you don't want it to swing up and down.  Try not to lower phosphate too quickly.  Keep monitoring it regularly so that you aren't surprised by either low or high values.  Stability is underrated.

6 hours ago, M. Tournesol said:

but it also encourage coral growth.

Exactly, phosphate will encourage growth of photosynthetic organisms (like your anemone and corals, as well as algae).

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis
50 minutes ago, seabass said:

you don't want it to swing up and down

Normally, it stays around 0.15 but 0.23 was a bit high no?

It went from 0.23 to 0.20 in 21 hours so is it too fast? A water change would have lower it even more.

My plan is to remove the pad when it's under 0.15 so I suppose tomorrow. Will test again later today.

2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

It went from 0.23 to 0.20 in 21 hours so is it too fast?  A water change would have lower it even more.

That's about the same as a 15% water change.

My plan is to remove the pad when it's under 0.15 so I suppose tomorrow.

That's about a 35% drop within two days; which is a fairly quick and significant drop.  Will you see any problems because of this?  Probably not.  But again, stability should be the goal.

0.23 was a bit high, no?

Yeah, most people would call that high.  Your long-term goal of 0.10 seems pretty reasonable.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
6 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Normally, it stays around 0.15 but 0.23 was a bit high no?

It went from 0.23 to 0.20 in 21 hours so is it too fast? A water change would have lower it even more.

My plan is to remove the pad when it's under 0.15 so I suppose tomorrow. Will test again later today.

Phosphate is now 0.16, the pad is going out tonight.

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)