Coral Vue Hydros

Kindanewtothis

Power came back around 5 am, pump worked up to midnight so there was no water movement for about 5 hours. Everything is good in the tank.

• Like 5
Kindanewtothis
12 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Are the fish ok? 

Can see all of them because they are hiding (lights are not ramping up yet). All I could see was the clowns and the anemone.

I bought a bigger battery pack (400w vs 80w)

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Power came back around 5 am, pump worked up to midnight so there was no water movement for about 5 hours.

I know that my tanks have survived 6 hour outages before.  There are a number of variables that determine the available oxygen levels in an un-circulating tank (including temperature, amount of livestock, algae, substrate, etc).

I'm glad that things worked out for you.  Good thing you had some backup, that could have been a disaster.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

I know that my tanks have survived 6 hour outages before.  There are a number of variables that determine the available oxygen levels in an un-circulating tank (including temperature, amount of livestock, algae, substrate, etc).

I'm glad that things worked out for you.  Good thing you had some backup, that could have been a disaster.

Yeah the outage lasted 14 hours, I was worried. 

2 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Imagine if all would have died... the YWG is coming in today with an hammer frag. They could have arrived to an empty tank.

Ammonia levels would be through the roof.  After a tank crash, I suspect the tank wouldn't be suitable for any new livestock for at least a week.

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis

Winter is here.

Glad I bought the 400w power pack, I'll be ready for next time, first winter with a tank. I guess for some of you summer and heat is more a problem.

I'm excited for the YWG, I hope I'll see the pistol more like I used to. Last time pairing took only minutes.

The hammer is suppose to be blue.

Tracking says it's arrived in my city.

20211207_102947.jpg

• Like 3

Fingers crossed that everything makes it in alive and on time. I avoid ordering any livestock via mail during the holidays.

Consider getting a battery operated air pump and air stone. It has saved me multiple times with multi-day power outages: 

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis

YWG is in... not so yellow at first look. I think the trip was rough. Temperature acclimation right now.

Got my hammer frag and an acan freebie! Dipping

Edit: no idea what an an acan was before I googled it. Any placement recommendations? (Quick please)

Edited by Kindanewtothis
  • Like 1
Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, Maas101 said:

Low to medium light 50-100 par, medium flow and a bit away from other corals 1"-2" as they can be aggressive.

So on a small rock on the sandbed would do?

10 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

So on a small rock on the sandbed would do?

I've got an acan directly in the sand.  Was flat with about 5 heads when I got it.  In the past several months it's been growing in a ball shape off the sandbed.  

My acans don't look like this variety, but this is kindof growth pattern I get direct on sandbed

$_86.JPG

I'm looking to get my ACAN moved from front of tank to more centrally located so all sides get some light.

No clue how it grows when placed on a rock.  

Kindanewtothis
9 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

I've got an acan directly in the sand.  Was flat with about 5 heads when I got it.  In the past several months it's been growing in a ball shape off the sandbed.  

My acans don't look like this variety, but this is kindof growth pattern I get direct on sandbed

$_86.JPG

I'm looking to get my ACAN moved from front of tank to more centrally located so all sides get some light.

No clue how it grows when placed on a rock.  

If I don't glue it to a rock, the pistol will take it.

20211207_142101.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
28 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

If I don't glue it to a rock, the pistol will take it.

I hear ya,

My Talbot damsel likes to move sand around tank, and I have to pull the ACAN up to surface occasionally too/

I got 99 problems and that fish is 1

• Haha 1

An acan won't grow onto the sand so @Jakesaw it's forming a mound because it has no 'real estate' to grow onto. On a rock it will encrust the rock into it meets something more aggressive than it is with coral warfare ensuing.

1 hour ago, Maas101 said:

An acan won't grow onto the sand so @Jakesaw it's forming a mound because it has no 'real estate' to grow onto. On a rock it will encrust the rock into it meets something more aggressive than it is with coral warfare ensuing.

Didn't know that - Thanks !

I've got another single ACAN Frag that I have no real plan for yet.  Just sitting in frag plug on sandbed.  Is there an ideal way to mount these?

2 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

Didn't know that - Thanks !

I've got another single ACAN Frag that I have no real plan for yet.  Just sitting in frag plug on sandbed.  Is there an ideal way to mount these?

1. Use a blade and pry it off the plug. Glue it to your rocks.

or

2.Cut the stem of the plug off with pliers or fragging shears leaving the top of the plug. Glue it to a rock.

Acan grow pretty quickly if you target feed them coral food.

• Like 1

I think bristle worms are a natural part of a cleanup crew.  However, some people don't like them.  Once you introduce them to your 50 gallon tank, you'll always have them.  Their population will rise and fall based on available food (detritus/wastes).  I'll occasionally remove an especially large one if I see it out and about.  But in general, I consider them mostly helpful.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)