inTank Media Baskets

My new Talbot is playing shy today. 

New fish swam all around tank yesterday since I put him in til the lights went out.  Then he found a rock to slide into for the nightly snooze.

Today - he's not missing, but he's chosen a different rock to hang by and he's basically staying there all day.  He's between the wall and the rock, I can see him hanging out next to rock and he can see me.  Not inside the rockwork, but he's not free swimming like he did yesterday.

Hopefully it's just getting comfortable in his new tank.  Maybe it's a mini-spike of ammonia ( reading API .25 )I dunno, but it's amazing how quickly I start getting green algae on the walls as soon as I put another fish in the tank. 

But for now my 10 gallon is temporarily back to boring. These guys are hardy and I didn't name the fish - so I'm remaining optimistic.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, Jakesaw said:

My new Talbot is playing shy today. 

New fish swam all around tank yesterday since I put him in til the lights went out.  Then he found a rock to slide into for the nightly snooze.

Today - he's not missing, but he's chosen a different rock to hang by and he's basically staying there all day.  He's between the wall and the rock, I can see him hanging out next to rock and he can see me.  Not inside the rockwork, but he's not free swimming like he did yesterday.

Hopefully it's just getting comfortable in his new tank.  Maybe it's a mini-spike of ammonia ( reading API .25 )I dunno, but it's amazing how quickly I start getting green algae on the walls as soon as I put another fish in the tank. 

But for now my 10 gallon is temporarily back to boring. These guys are hardy and I didn't name the fish - so I'm remaining optimistic.

Any pics ?

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
On 11/7/2021 at 8:54 AM, Kindanewtothis said:

Phosphate 0.19

Nitrate 0.8 ???

KH 9.8

Phosphate 0.15

Nitrate 1.58

KH 9.5

Will dose lightly nitrate again

Here's some pics.  The Little guy is coming out an inch or two from his chosen rock space, but still not swimming around in the open water yet.  Not really eating when I feed him either.  He's smaller than my RS Hermit crabs though and the tank I got him from he had no rocks - just an open swim tank.

IMG_20211112_155202.jpg

IMG_20211112_155038.jpg

IMG_20211112_154141.jpg

• Like 3

Don't know how you guys upload so many pics, I uploaded 3 and I'm already at my 25 MB limit.  

You can get a good look at 2 headed duncan, 

wanted to give a good look at favia, Trumpet with nice extension in back, ad ACAN in front, My clown is in cave all the time the past few months and Little guy isn't swimming around much.  If he's eating he's grazing the algae off the surfaced when I'm not watching. 

6 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

Don't know how you guys upload so many pics, I uploaded 3 and I'm already at my 25 MB limit.  

By lowering the quality (number of pixels) of the picture 😉.

Cute fish 😍, with time he will surely come out more.

16 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

By lowering the quality (number of pixels) of the picture 😉.

Cute fish 😍, with time he will surely come out more.

How would I do that I'm uploading from phone to PC to website.

Kindanewtothis
41 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

How would I do that I'm uploading from phone to PC to website.

I really don't know, I take pictures in 4k but when I upload them the quality is lower... magic!

New fish was a good meal for my 3 crabs.  Found him being chowed down on top of my rocks. At first, didn't see fish anywhere, but looked like a crab had cracked some of his shell in between 2 rocks.

Closer look a little while, the cracked shell was a dead fish and being cleaned up naturally by the CUC critters. 

Will Red Scarlett Hermits eat a healthy fish, or do they wait til things die?  Last 2 fish I found dead were in the rock and beiing eaten by my crabs in my rockwork?  Perhaps I need to switch from crabs to snails

• Sad 2
Kindanewtothis
42 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

New fish was a good meal for my 3 crabs.  Found him being chowed down on top of my rocks. At first, didn't see fish anywhere, but looked like a crab had cracked some of his shell in between 2 rocks.

Closer look a little while, the cracked shell was a dead fish and being cleaned up naturally by the CUC critters. 

Will Red Scarlett Hermits eat a healthy fish, or do they wait til things die?  Last 2 fish I found dead were in the rock and beiing eaten by my crabs in my rockwork?  Perhaps I need to switch from crabs to snails

I do not think scarletts would kill a fish, they must have found it dead.

Kindanewtothis

Anemone is doing good and pods culture seems bottom less.

Still got some brown/red sand, conch is doing a good job but it's not a one snail job... if only I had a pistol shrimp turning the sand...

20211114_121318.jpg

20211114_122442.jpg

20211114_144435.jpg

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis
10 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

@Kindanewtothis

I'm having big tank envy with my little tank issues 

How big would you go, 50g is enough for my needs and I would have to go way bigger to get what I want and cannot have: tangs.

Still thinking about moving the pistol and YWG to the 50g.

20211114_150229.jpg

I'd love a 125,  but realistically the largest I'd go is 40 breeder for a while. 

Still gonna do a 20L first, just trying to figure out the best way to get my rock in there with some new swimming fish w/ my current clown situation.  May have to keep a 10 gallon for a while while I got some new fish to make a territory in the 20. Or I'd have to get rid of my first fish which I'd rather not do.

I think I made a mistake when I let the 1 fish mark the entire territory as his own for so long.  

I think tangs & dwarf angels are cool, but my favorite fish category is Wrasses for the way they swim  

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
9 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

70 is enough for a Bristletooth Tang 😉

Yeah but the kids still want Dory...

Edit: I'm one of the kids

• Haha 4
Kindanewtothis
On 11/13/2021 at 10:38 AM, Kindanewtothis said:

Phosphate 0.15

Nitrate 1.58

KH 9.5

Will dose lightly nitrate again

Dosing again.

Is 0.20 that bad. It was ok when I was fighting dinos but what about now? I suppose the diatoms on my sand bed enjoys it.

20211115_193257.jpg

3 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Is 0.20 that bad

I wouldn't be too concerned at the moment; however, I'd probably try to keep phosphate between 0.10 and 0.05 ppm.

Kindanewtothis
7 hours ago, seabass said:

I wouldn't be too concerned at the moment; however, I'd probably try to keep phosphate between 0.10 and 0.05 ppm.

That would require a 50% water change but it would reduce my nitrates as well.

I still have a phosphate remover pad for the canister filter but I don't think I'll use it.

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)