ReefCleaners.org

12 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

The problem is that it's not really a good time (dinos) to add new corals... but I might since I won't be in Toronto for a while after (800km from home). Worked there a little years ago (Bay street).

I must say that I would like a hammer, since what I bought as a hammer was in fact a frogspawn.

That one is nice and cheap:

"Purple Tip Branching Hammer | New Dawn Aquaculture" https://ndaquaculture.ca/collections/livestock/products/purple-tip-branching-hammer

Edit: that's not Candy corals, I made a mistake.

I cannot get phyto feast locally, and compare to it, I feel I'm dosing green water. So I want to get some depending on how long I can conserve it once at home. I'll have a cooler for transport.

I ordered from new dawn aquaculture and they are AWESOME!! Great customer service and everything was super healthy!   

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

"Wheeler's Watchman Goby & Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp Pair – Candy Corals" https://candycorals.ca/products/wheelers-watchman-goby-candy-cane-pistol-shrimp-pair?_pos=2&_sid=864552080&_ss=r

That's interesting for the 10g

That would be and thats actually a good price. You don't see pairs often. 

Afnan is the owner, if you contact him he may hold them for you after purchase until you visit On.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

That would be and thats actually a good price. You don't see pairs often. 

Afnan is the owner, if you contact him he may hold them for you after purchase until you visit On.

Here's my planning, passing by Candy Corals in the morning of the 20th (around 10 am), get the pair and ask them to package it as if they were gonna ship it. We are gonna stop on the road (1 night) to sleep and will be back in Quebec city around mid-day on the 21st. I figure that if they ship it it's gonna take 2 days, in my case it would be about 30 hours.

Kindanewtothis
15 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

So it did not went down, I did not dose NeoPhost of course, and it's now 0.24. 

So phosphate is back to 0.11, dosed a little to try bring it back to 0.15. It's doing ups and downs and I suppose it's not good. 

Kindanewtothis

Pods or dinos?

It comes from a brown spot on the rock that was in the 50g and on which I pretty sure I saw dinos in june.

I will receive my lens for the microscope tomorrow so we'll know then for sure. 

Open it in youtube for better quality.

2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Here's my planning, passing by Candy Corals in the morning of the 20th (around 10 am), get the pair and ask them to package it as if they were gonna ship it. We are gonna stop on the road (1 night) to sleep and will be back in Quebec city around mid-day on the 21st. I figure that if they ship it it's gonna take 2 days, in my case it would be about 30 hours.

Fyi, their fish sell out fast. Thats why i suggested pre purchasing. They only have 1 in stock.

Kindanewtothis
38 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Fyi, their fish sell out fast. Thats why i suggested pre purchasing. They only have 1 in stock.

Thanks, I will call as soon as they open. Tried to buy it but I can't find the store pick-up option so it charges shipping....

Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, rough eye said:

is adding animals a good idea when battling a tank full of dinos?

That's for the 10g not the dinos' infested 50g.

Kindanewtothis
7 minutes ago, rough eye said:

is adding animals a good idea when battling a tank full of dinos?

Not adding anything to the 50g, including corals, that would not be a good idea indeed. But a shrimp goby already paired for my 10g is quite tempting.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Not adding anything to the 50g, including corals, that would not be a good idea indeed. But a shrimp goby already paired for my 10g is quite tempting.

You could put corals in the 10g for holding and once the 50g is on track, transfer them into that tank.

Kindanewtothis
47 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

You could put corals in the 10g for holding and once the 50g is on track, transfer them into that tank.

I like the way you think!

Edit: however, I don't have good lights on that tank.

Kindanewtothis

Bad news, just called about the goby/shrimp pair... they died this morning...

The good news is that my lfs just got a candy cane pistol shrimp... but it's not a pair...

• Like 1

Weird that both would die. I wonder what happened? 

Grab the pistol shrimp. It's easy enough to add a suitable shrimpgoby to a tank with an already-present shrimp, and the shrimp will be fine on its own in the meantime. 

Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, Tired said:

Weird that both would die. I wonder what happened? 

To be honest I feel like it wasn't true. Maybe they did not want to hold on it for someone so far away.

1 hour ago, Tired said:

Grab the pistol shrimp. It's easy enough to add a suitable shrimpgoby to a tank with an already-present shrimp, and the shrimp will be fine on its own in the meantime. 

It's not a candy cane though, it's a tiger pistol shrimp at my lfs. Think I'll go there this week-end or maybe tonight.

2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

To be honest I feel like it wasn't true. Maybe they did not want to hold on it for someone so far away.

It's not a candy cane though, it's a tiger pistol shrimp at my lfs. Think I'll go there this week-end or maybe tonight.

Yeah it's still on their website...anyway I used to have a tiger pistol shrimp with a wheeler goby in my evo 13.5, and they were totally fine. The shrimp made a mess but hey the sand was pretty clean lol. I say go for it!

Kindanewtothis

Anyone knows Brightwell spongexcel?

Thinking of dosing silicate to encourage diatoms but I read it's also good for sponges?

51 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Anyone knows Brightwell spongexcel?

Hmm... let me think. 🤔

On 6/26/2021 at 7:46 AM, seabass said:

I'm currently trying SpongExcel (sodium silicate) to try to encourage competition from diatoms and other competing life.  I've also introduced some pods (I need to add more), and have been dosing phyto as well as both phosphate and nitrate.  Some people suggest that increasing the temperature to 83°F can also help.

You must have read about it in this thread. :wink:  Don't expect miracles or immediate results.  It might help some to support more competition.

I recommend that you dilute it in some top off water instead of dosing it directly into your tank.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
40 minutes ago, seabass said:

Hmm... let me think. 🤔

You must have read about it in this thread. :wink:  Don't expect miracles or immediate results.  It might help some to support more competition.

I recommend that you dilute it in some top off water instead of dosing it directly into your tank.

Sorry I forgot about it.

Any other opinions on a tiger pistol shrimp in a 10 gallons?

• Like 1

On second thought, how much rock is in the 10gal? If you've got a lot of rockwork, it might work okay. I wouldn't put a tiger pistol in a 10gal with a lot of negative space, like people sometimes have, but one with a lot of rock might be fine. Pistol shrimp use the space under the rocks to live and burrow in, so need plenty of space to do it. 

Also, are the rocks set directly on the bottom of the tank, or on the sand? You don't want rocks on top of the sand if you have pistol shrimp, their undermining makes the rock shift. 

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)