inTank Media Baskets

Thought on my scape ?

Brandonmw

46 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Take down the top two purple rocks on the left. Leave some headroom for corals to grow. 

How much room from the top of the tank should I allow do you think? Right now there is  6 1/2 inches to the top of the water 

mitten_reef
2 hours ago, Brandonmw said:

How much room from the top of the tank should I allow do you think? Right now there is  6 1/2 inches to the top of the water 

This is just my personal opinion, but I think leaving the rocks around 1/2 to 2/3 of the waterline is about where I would aim for.  Top space for growth is about the coral selections as well, but you also don’t want them to be placed/growing right up against the water surface.  

How tall is this tank? Certainly doesn’t look that big from photos. About 60gallong cube?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

This is just my personal opinion, but I think leaving the rocks around 1/2 to 2/3 of the waterline is about where I would aim for.  Top space for growth is about the coral selections as well, but you also don’t want them to be placed/growing right up against the water surface.  

How tall is this tank? Certainly doesn’t look that big from photos. About 60gallong cube?

90 gallon 40 sump 36x24x24

• Like 2
mitten_reef
4 minutes ago, Brandonmw said:

90 gallon 40 sump 36x24x24

Ok, so I did get the height correct in my head, 60cube is 24x24x24. 

by all means, don’t let my comment re the height detract you from your goal/vision, especially when you see these things first hand, unlike most of us here 😅, me included. 

if you plan to place any corals that grow upward on that top rock, having an additional 2-4 inches of headspace will make for much better front view. That’s the primary reason to reducing the height of the left tower for me. 

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

I would take the top 2 rocks and make a cave with what else is there.  It would be a mini version of my tank. 😂

672073B4-C964-4926-9247-A9177D2827E3.thumb.jpeg.3b99d73a7899053111f97c4714f04460.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

I 100% appreciate the feedback. And what you are saying makes sense for sure. I’m pretty good at the physical/hard scape but coral placement isn’t my strong suite LOL. My goal was to kinda make it like there where 2 walls if I was diving and swimming between. As I’m in the cycle process on this new tank it is definitely easy to make a change. Got the water all added tonight so will see what I’m feeling I’m the morning when the tank is more clear. Again thanks for your feed back and more is always welcome!  

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

I would take the top 2 rocks and make a cave with what else is there.  It would be a mini version of my tank. 😂

672073B4-C964-4926-9247-A9177D2827E3.thumb.jpeg.3b99d73a7899053111f97c4714f04460.jpeg

Your tank looks fantastic! 

It looks good, I wouldn’t remove to much from the top rocks for now but I’d remove them when you have corals. Definitely want to think about the future and how corals would take up space.

• Like 1

Idk, I like it the way it is. Unless you're planning on placing coral directly on top of the rocks, there should still be plenty of room for coral to grow.

How do you have the rocks stuck together? Did you drill and use acrylic rods, or zip ties or epoxy?

5 minutes ago, Zer0 said:

Idk, I like it the way it is. Unless you're planning on placing coral directly on top of the rocks, there should still be plenty of room for coral to grow.

How do you have the rocks stuck together? Did you drill and use acrylic rods, or zip ties or epoxy?

It’s with epoxy on the lower rocks and the upper rock the ones at the top left mound I left loose as I wanted the option to move if I chose to. If I decide to keep them where they are I’ll epoxy them down then. 

3 minutes ago, jefferythewind said:

also depends if you're planning to get little baby frags or buying full colonies how soon you're gonna need that extra space.

I have generally started with small frags in the past but that is also only a 10b tank.  As it stands I’m still working out what corals I want exactly. Then I’ll start to plan placements. 

• Like 1

Morning pic update with the light on for the pic and the water all cleared up. Also took the pic from further away to give a better prospective. 

C064D3C9-BA99-4825-BCC7-76A9BBC22F54.jpeg

• Like 2
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Your rockscape is very nice, in fact, very creative since nano reefers have very limited space for scaping.  Keep in mind that in this hobby so many of us move things around, you will find your perfect match as you evolve with your system.  But for now, kudos!  You are doing a great job!

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
Brandonmw
1 hour ago, jefferythewind said:

so what do you have in there now? I think i see 3 fish.

3 lyretail Anthias, a tomini tang, 8 ceirths snails, 8 hermits, 2 trochus snails, 3 nassarius snails, and not in the pic is a plate coral. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Another update, coralline is really starting to come in now and a few more addictions have been added. Glass isn’t the cleanest in the pics but it’s hard not to just sit back and watch the tank more and more.

95462B78-1974-4480-A66A-1B822231336C.jpeg

2263A60F-7F05-4980-BE60-86B3D956C143.jpeg

1A1417D3-D378-499F-AFBE-35EA79FF23BA.jpeg

3E967B4C-AE6A-4116-B60C-CD5887B6342F.jpeg

C27DDED2-0D57-429C-B5B9-52A35CFB48B9.jpeg