Jump to content
capture

Capture's Waterbox 10 - here we go again.

Recommended Posts

capture

Its good to be back.  This hobby has had a draw on me for a long time. I've had 4 setups and my last one morphed from a 10 cube with no sump to a 30 lagoon, I built a stand and it got too complicated too quickly and then we had a second kiddo. I sold everything for $500 about 4 years ago and began to travel a ton for work and focus on career and family.

 

Deeper into the pandemic, this summer - I took up fly fishing with a friend and found that an LFS I liked in Massachusetts opened up a second spot on my route to go fishing here in Connecticut. I stopped in just after they opened up and well... the bug bit again.

 

Shortly thereafter I ordered the Waterbox Cube 10 with the AI Prime 16HD (Waterbox is from the town I grew up in, parents are still there). It arrived last week and sat in my shop for almost a week while I gathered the parts and tried to figure out how to break the news to my wife. She quickly figured it out as she continued to walk into my office while reef sites and others' reef journals continued to show up on my screen. The tank currently sits in my office on an ugly defective side table my brother gave me and its cycling at the moment. I intend to build a proper stand for it to house my ATO reservoir and all the test kits and goodies that accompany the tank. I'll share that process as my tank cycles.

spacer.png

 

I've been scheming to get a setup going to keep me company while my family is gone all day at school (my wife is a teacher). At the same time my wife was scheming to get me a dog for my upcoming birthday to also keep me company. So I went from no pets to a tank and puppy in the same week. Hope you all don't mind pics of Rocky every now and again. He comes home Thursday!

 

spacer.png

 

Back to tank - ran the first tests yesterday for pH, Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite (Buzz Lightyear and Spiderman helped - video to come) and everything is going swimmingly. I've been dosing 'seed' from aquavitro to help with the cycle.

 

My intent is low maintenence, good growth and health of all inhabitants. I planned not to get an ATO but in the first few days of being set up, I can tell topping off is going to get on my nerves if done manually. Especially true while the heat is running and no top to the tank. I almost went bare bottom but I couldn't help but buy the sand. I may end up like @teenyreef & @Cannedfish and end up taking it out.  I have a lot of undecided details to go through but for now I await inhabitants and hope to give my boys something that teaches patience, persistence and reward. 

 

For now I got to work and watch Alabama and Ohio State duke it out in Miami.  We need other teams in the Playoff tell your teams to get better, please!

So with that.  I'm back I guess. 

 

spacer.png

Shortly after setup with moonlight on.  Rockscape has changed since this photo.  

 

 

Specs

Display: Waterbox Cube 10

Lighting: AI Prime HD (running Waterbox profile)

Heater: Eheim 50w

Return Pump: Stock Waterbox pump (already making some noise and will look to replace)

Top Off: JBJ Nano (on order)

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
HashiP

welcome back.I too just got back into the hobby after 10 years lol.I just bought my 15g waterbox peninsula last night and should be here in a week.also my fiance wasn't a happy camper when she saw all the reef sites/forums on my computer lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
capture
22 minutes ago, HashiP said:

welcome back.I too just got back into the hobby after 10 years lol.I just bought my 15g waterbox peninsula last night and should be here in a week.also my fiance wasn't a happy camper when she saw all the reef sites/forums on my computer lol.

The wifey wasn't upset, surprisingly.  She was actually kind of excited cause I think it means I wont be traveling for work in her eyes.  Another reason to keep a tank!

Share this post


Link to post
DGibster

Very cool! I'm in the process of setting up my own Waterbox 10g so I am very curious to see how yours turns out. Got any ideas for corals or fish that you want (10 gallons is fairly limiting so I am always curious what people fit)?

Share this post


Link to post
capture
10 hours ago, DGibster said:

Very cool! I'm in the process of setting up my own Waterbox 10g so I am very curious to see how yours turns out. Got any ideas for corals or fish that you want (10 gallons is fairly limiting so I am always curious what people fit)?

Awesome Gibster!  Share some progress when you get it going. 

I have an idea of what I want.  Some Zoas/Palys, cause they were what got me into this hobby almost 20 years ago (crap thats weird writing aloud).  I want to get some LPS and eventually I really want an ORA Pearlberry frag cause I had one with some nice growth a while back as I was just getting in SPS and then my tank crashed.  Something else I'm on the hunt for is some red branching cyphastrea as I had a frag that grew out really nice in the same tank with the Pearlberry.  So if anyone has some leads I'm all ears.  I'm just going to take it slow and see.  Might get a frag pack from WWC to get things going too.   

A pair of clowns will most likely be in the mix cause my boys will dig them.  For any other fish I'm still looking and reading.  I have some time.  Tossed some snails in yesterday to get things moving.  I'm hoping the dog will ease my angst in waiting to get corals to put into the tank.  He's going to need a ton of attention all the while the tank will do its thing.  

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

Welcome back. What a cute puppy! Happy Birthday. I liked the scape. Why did you change it? Need a new picture.

Share this post


Link to post
capture
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome back. What a cute puppy! Happy Birthday. I liked the scape. Why did you change it? Need a new picture.

Thanks the family is very excited for him.  We've been almost 2 years without a dog. Here's a shot from about 5 min ago.  

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Grimes
4 minutes ago, capture said:

Thanks the family is very excited for him.  We've been almost 2 years without a dog. Here's a shot from about 5 min ago.  

spacer.png

That's a serious sand bed

Share this post


Link to post
Ckane2

Love seeing more nano setups! I also like how the Waterbox aquariums have thin silicone lines compared to the innovative marine ones. Looks like you have a great start! Just a thought I had, those hydrometers can give pretty funky results sometimes and aren’t very accurate in my experience. If you have the means the Hanna salinity and temperature tester makes life much easier. Following your progress! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

I love dogs. I like cats but both my boys have severe allergic reactions to them. The new scape is even better.

Share this post


Link to post
capture
3 hours ago, Grimes said:

That's a serious sand bed

I guess.🤔 Its right at about an inch deep with a few deeper areas.  This is how I've had all my other tanks.  

2 hours ago, Ckane2 said:

Love seeing more nano setups! I also like how the Waterbox aquariums have thin silicone lines compared to the innovative marine ones. Looks like you have a great start! Just a thought I had, those hydrometers can give pretty funky results sometimes and aren’t very accurate in my experience. If you have the means the Hanna salinity and temperature tester makes life much easier. Following your progress! 

Thanks.  I dig the thinner seems as well.  I agree about the hydrometers just getting everything in the ballpark for now.  Selling off some stocks to pay for the rest of this stuff! lol. 

2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I love dogs. I like cats but both my boys have severe allergic reactions to them. The new scape is even better.

Bummer about the pets.  Lucky we don't have any allergies as of yet.  
Thanks about the scape. From my desk I look directly at the front of the tank.  There was just something I didn't like the way I had it before.  This gives some nice negative space and cool shapes.  Much more pleasing to my eye.  Trying to remember that there will be pieces in there soon.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
DGibster
8 hours ago, capture said:

Awesome Gibster!  Share some progress when you get it going. 

I have an idea of what I want.  Some Zoas/Palys, cause they were what got me into this hobby almost 20 years ago (crap thats weird writing aloud).  I want to get some LPS and eventually I really want an ORA Pearlberry frag cause I had one with some nice growth a while back as I was just getting in SPS and then my tank crashed.  Something else I'm on the hunt for is some red branching cyphastrea as I had a frag that grew out really nice in the same tank with the Pearlberry.  So if anyone has some leads I'm all ears.  I'm just going to take it slow and see.  Might get a frag pack from WWC to get things going too.   

A pair of clowns will most likely be in the mix cause my boys will dig them.  For any other fish I'm still looking and reading.  I have some time.  Tossed some snails in yesterday to get things moving.  I'm hoping the dog will ease my angst in waiting to get corals to put into the tank.  He's going to need a ton of attention all the while the tank will do its thing.  

Thanks! It’s actually been running for just over four weeks now. I jump started it with some live rock and decided to add some hardy corals shortly after. I’ve been slowly adding more; every time I go and get water for water changes I seem to end up with a couple frags. A few days ago I added my first fish, a Tailspot Blenny (perfect fit for a 10 gallon). 

IMG_0440.thumb.JPG.f54175f43657e7a5d1ab524e3b70c3bd.JPG


I may have taken things a bit more quickly than most people recommended but it’s been working out well so far. You can read more about it here: 

 

Your hardscape is looking good. I like the arch and the thick sandbed. I know lots of folks hate sand beds, especially thick ones, but I think they add necessary filtration, doubly so in a nano tank. Looking forward to seeing you add coral. 

Share this post


Link to post
capture

Thanks @DGibster. Looks good.  I'll take a look at your journal too. In regards to stocking your tank... its yours and you can do what you want with your $ and your things.  That's always the problem you go into an LFS and its really hard to leave without something else. For instance, I picked up an AI Nero 3 when I went to pick up some snails at the LFS. I'm getting antsy to stock it but I need to build a proper stand first.  

I'm guessing the sand bed is a bit of a hold over from long ago.  I mean I could have gone black sand and didn't - so there's that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Grimes

Don't get me wrong I love the depth, I'm just to much of a chicken to go for a deep bed myself.

Share this post


Link to post
capture
1 hour ago, Grimes said:

Don't get me wrong I love the depth, I'm just to much of a chicken to go for a deep bed myself.

why chicken?  I've never really run into any issues.  I was too chicken to go bare bottom. lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Grimes
1 hour ago, capture said:

why chicken?  I've never really run into any issues.  I was too chicken to go bare bottom. lol. 

Yeah now that's a funny one. Not sure I like the look for bare bottom anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
capture

So I picked up an AI Nero 3.  Tremendous little powerhead for the price!

Does anyone on here have a recommendation for a skimmer to fit this tank?

I'm also about to purchase a lid from krakenreef - just not sure I need it.  What's experiences here? are there other options for the WB10?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Gore15

Are you running the Nero 3 on 100%?

Share this post


Link to post
Grimes
18 hours ago, capture said:

So I picked up an AI Nero 3.  Tremendous little powerhead for the price!

Does anyone on here have a recommendation for a skimmer to fit this tank?

I'm also about to purchase a lid from krakenreef - just not sure I need it.  What's experiences here? are there other options for the WB10?

I've ordered the Nero 3 can't wait to get it wet

Share this post


Link to post
DGibster
21 hours ago, capture said:

So I picked up an AI Nero 3.  Tremendous little powerhead for the price!

Does anyone on here have a recommendation for a skimmer to fit this tank?

I'm also about to purchase a lid from krakenreef - just not sure I need it.  What's experiences here? are there other options for the WB10?

Pro tip on the Nero 3, do install the fish guard that they include. I’m pretty sure my Blenny just died because I didn’t bother installing it.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
travoose

Like the dog, like the tank, best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...