inTank Media Baskets

Capture's Waterbox 10 - here we go again.

capture

On 1/14/2021 at 11:48 AM, capture said:

So I picked up an AI Nero 3.  Tremendous little powerhead for the price!

Does anyone on here have a recommendation for a skimmer to fit this tank?

I'm also about to purchase a lid from krakenreef - just not sure I need it.  What's experiences here? are there other options for the WB10?

I have a Waterbox 10 and use the Nano Protein Skimmer (10-35 Gallon) - from Eshopps in the middle rear chamber, it really work well.  I also bought a lid and ended up not using it because i like the way it looks without it better. 

The last few weeks have been chock full of changes and snow which means kids being home for snow days and holidays which leads to almost nothing getting accomplished.  I'll get into a few things with this post.

• My World Wide Corals subscription
  • My bi-color
  • A skimmer
  • Dosing and testing

I received my first delivery of @World Wide Corals subscription a few weeks ago. It was delayed over a week due to some really cold weather and snow storms here in Connecticut. I'm sure people have read or seen reviews on WWC's Coral Subscription but wanted to share what I got. The WWC Subscription seems like a lot of money at first but in actuality I think its a good deal. Potentially up to 15 frags over the course of 3 shipments and I'm not sure you can really put a price on the fact that WWC's stuff is first class IMO. You aren't paying for shipping on top of your orders so that alone is almost half the cost of the subscription.

So this is what I got in the first installment: Some orange glasses, a WWC button, a 5.5 oz container of Chemi-pure Blue media some lovely handling, dipping and acclimation instructions, a card with a thank you and list of the included coral and of course the frags. As for coral I put in my order notes that I was hoping not to receive any leathers, GSP or xenia and keep any SPS till the last shipment - they followed that. My list of new inhabitants is as follows: Blueberry Micro Lord, Lavender Platygyra, Sympodium, Flame Tip Clove Polyp and Frozen Mellon Zoas.

The zoas came detached during shipping and looked a little stressed. I glued them on hoping they bounce back. Everything else looks good after an acclimation period and placing them low in the tank and setting my AI Prime to a 5 day acclimation period. Everything settled in nicely and only in the last few days has the platygyra started to recede.  Pretty bummed but I know that I can't have it all. From a little quick research I think it could be due to the skimmer and lack of nutrients. For now its tucked into a lower-flow, lower-light part of the tank in hopes it comes back. 

As for the choice to subscribe, I sort of like the fact that I didn't have to make any decisions. I enjoy the fact that I asked some people I trust to make decisions for me according to my setup and hope for the best. I will say I probably wouldn't have picked most of the selections based on what I have experience with nor does my LFS carry most of these so this gets me to a place I may not have gotten to on my own. It opens my eyes to new things and gets me a little out of my comfort zone.

I've also added a bi-color blenny from an LFS and has settled in to the tank nicely. Feeding them with mysis almost everyday and they have become increasingly brave and curious within the tank.  For the first week or so the bi-color hid in the shell of a snail that died weeks ago.  I'm battling a little hair algae at the moment and over the weekend during a 3-4 gallon water change I vacuumed a lot out and over the last few days cut the lights back to 3-4 hours a day.  I will probably go back to longer light schedule in the next day or so.   

With the addition of a fish and the plan to add more (not sure what yet) I added a skimmer.  I had an interesting time deciding and finding what would work in the Waterbox.  I can't remember what its called and I threw the box away. If anyone wants to know what its called let me know.  It was super easy to setup and $60.  It came with a hanger/suction cup setup and I had to slightly modify it to fit in the rear chamber.  Now it has a friction fit to hold itself up in the chamber and after a few days has been pulling some decent skimmate.

Lastly, I've been dosing some All-For-Reef.  The amount is minimal and I'll probably pick up a doser now that I've dialed in my dosing amount after testing ALK everyday for over two weeks. I've dialed it in to between 7.8-8.1. Everything looks good minus the Platy.  I'm still dialing in my lighting setup.  I like the more blue light schedules but bounce between really blue and more white.  What are some of your go-tos for lighting schedule on the AI Primes?

Well, pending weather this weekend I'm supposed to be meeting up with a local reefer to pick up some acro frags.  I'm excited to stock some more color into the tank and I'll update when I get them.  I'd also like to add some more fish.  Not sure what though.  May skip the clowns this go-round.  Any suggestions would be awesome.  Now I gotta go cut some dovetails and get this proper stand going.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

Sympodium

spacer.png

Flame tip cloves

spacer.png

Frozen Mellon Zoas

spacer.png

Lavender Platygyra when it was nice and plumped up. 

spacer.png

Blueberry Micro

12 hours ago, OC Fish Guy said:

I have a Waterbox 10 and use the Nano Protein Skimmer (10-35 Gallon) - from Eshopps in the middle rear chamber, it really work well.  I also bought a lid and ended up not using it because i like the way it looks without it better. 

Son of a... my lid is on order just waiting for it to show up.  It wasn't exactly cheap so I hope I use it.  I like the open feel and look as well. 

10 hours ago, nanoscott22 said:

Sweet set up! Definitely going to use your experience to guide my 10g build!

Ask questions happy to help as I'm sure many on here are.  Slow and steady.  

51 minutes ago, capture said:

WWC's Coral Subscription

I have now read several members have been very happy with coral selection and customer service. I appreciate your review.  It is nice that you also are satisfied. I think having them ship some corals out of your normal comfort zone sounds a little exciting. I haven't actually looked at the coral subscription plan but I am going to check it out.

I am about an hour away from their stores. I have been to the original store a few times. Last time was over a year ago now. I haven't been to the second one but it is only 15 minutes from my son's home so I have no doubt we will wander in there. Going to wait till I get vaccinated. Maybe I can work out a deal and save an additional 10% for local pick up LOL. Good luck with all your new additions. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I have now read several members have been very happy with coral selection and customer service. I appreciate your review.  It is nice that you also are satisfied. I think having them ship some corals out of your normal comfort zone sounds a little exciting. I haven't actually looked at the coral subscription plan but I am going to check it out.

I am about an hour away from their stores. I have been to the original store a few times. Last time was over a year ago now. I haven't been to the second one but it is only 15 minutes from my son's home so I have no doubt we will wander in there. Going to wait till I get vaccinated. Maybe I can work out a deal and save an additional 10% for local pick up LOL. Good luck with all your new additions. 

I'd be surprised if they didn't work something out with you. I haven't been to either of the new stores but I'm sure they are really nice. 

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Been a minute. This system has now passed the two year mark and I gotta say things have finally leveled out and thriving. 

I've had my fair amount of issues, changes and revelations - I'll save that for another post.  

For now I'll leave you with a Timelapse of my Bowerbanki eating.  

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...