Pod Your Reef

Type of anemone

Liz Diaz

hi,

So, I went to buy 2 life rocks and they came with 2 anemones, they are small and doing great but I don't know what type they are, one has like neon dark green at the bottom and red/brown/purple tentacles it doesn't look like it might be a bubble anemone although sometimes a few of its tentacles at the bottom looks like it might, and the other is I think a rose anemone but when I got the rock at the aquarium it look like the foot was stretched and the tentacles where very stretchy and thin, but since it has been in my tank is just fluffy.

Also how far do they need to be one another? Will the clown fish host both anemones? How big the anemones grow? 

I appreciate the help and time for your response 🙂

I hope the attached url can be shown it is a short video of how they move.

http://20200921_113520 | Flickr https://flic.kr/p/2jJPvYg

20200921_120312.jpg

20200921_120259.jpg

• Like 1

Those are Rose Bubble Tip Anemones (called RBTAs). They don't do very well in new tanks and pretty much everyone suggests waiting a year or so before putting them in your tank. If that's a 10g tank like I suspect, you may want to consider bringing them back to the LFS if you plan on having coral in the tank since when they are happy, they grow extremely fast and will easily take over a 10g tank in a year or so. Before getting an anemone, it's something you should research extensively.

For reference, here are mine in a 20g tank taking up half the tank from only a year and half of growth. And mine didn't grow exceptionally fast, there are many reefers here who've had theirs grow significantly faster!

big-nems.thumb.jpg.e8cbb0d15bc88de0dc87e2cddaadf0fa.jpg

• Like 2

They are rbta's.

They can be right next to eachother without issue.

They do grow big, how long it takes varies from anemone to anemone and tanks.

Normally not advised in newer systems but others have done it. 

I personally found them easier to please than a torch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, jservedio said:

Those are Rose Bubble Tip Anemones (called RBTAs). They don't do very well in new tanks and pretty much everyone suggests waiting a year or so before putting them in your tank. If that's a 10g tank like I suspect, you may want to consider bringing them back to the LFS if you plan on having coral in the tank since when they are happy, they grow extremely fast and will easily take over a 10g tank in a year or so. Before getting an anemone, it's something you should research extensively.

For reference, here are mine in a 20g tank taking up half the tank from only a year and half of growth. And mine didn't grow exceptionally fast, there are many reefers here who've had theirs grow significantly faster!

big-nems.thumb.jpg.e8cbb0d15bc88de0dc87e2cddaadf0fa.jpg

Thanks, the only problem with taking them back is that they are really attached to the rock, so I will have to take it back with the rock ☹ 

17 hours ago, Clown79 said:

They are rbta's.

They can be right next to eachother without issue.

They do grow big, how long it takes varies from anemone to anemone and tanks.

Normally not advised in newer systems but others have done it. 

I personally found them easier to please than a torch.

Thank you for your response, and also I'm glad you mention torch, since I was planning on buying a small colony of torch, do they do good with anemones? 

40 minutes ago, Liz Diaz said:

Thank you for your response, and also I'm glad you mention torch, since I was planning on buying a small colony of torch, do they do good with anemones? 

Anemones move and can move at any time. They can sting any coral and can get sucked into equipment.

There isn't anything that can be right next to them besides bta's. 

My xenia had no issue with being next to my anrmones. 

3 hours ago, Liz Diaz said:

Thanks, the only problem with taking them back is that they are really attached to the rock, so I will have to take it back with the rock ☹ 

They can be very carefully removed from the rock, especially when they are small like that. You'd definitely get some store credit trading them in. If you do want to keep them, I would suggest isolating the two rocks they are on and moving them to one side of the tank and the rest of the rock to the other side. That'll give you the best shot of "containing" them and leaving half the tank open for corals.

They can definitely just up and go for a walk one day as @Clown79 said. When they are small like yours it usually isn't a huge deal, but when they get bigger they can wreak serious havoc in a nano if they walk. They don't really like walking through open sand so if the rocks they are on are surrounded by sand, it will generally contain them once they get bigger. Smaller nems have a tendency to just let go and float around the tank, getting sucked into powerheads and chopped to pieces.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Liz Diaz said:

Pull the rocks out of the water, hold them upside down over a bucket of saltwater...in a few minutes the anemones will drop off the rock into the bucket.  I've done it many times and it works like a charm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, j.falk said:

Pull the rocks out of the water, hold them upside down over a bucket of saltwater...in a few minutes the anemones will drop off the rock into the bucket.  I've done it many times and it works like a charm.

I've done this exact thing with my rock flowers. It works every time and does not harm the anemone.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the tips. After a long thinking I decided to keep the anemones since everything in the tank seems to be living in harmony. 

I have one more issue though. 

The anemone I kept for the only reason to host my clownfish has a crab 🦀 there most of the time, do anemones host emerald crabs?

The problem with this, is that when my clown fishes go near the anemone and crab is there, the crab raises its claws trying to scare the clownfish away.

20200930_103441.jpg