Top Shelf Aquatics

10 gallon coral equipment

Javier19

Hello, I have a new cycle cycled aquarium. I added two clown fish, 5 snails, live sand, live rock, a fluval filter. Also, I have 2 corals added in, and I will like to know if I will need protein skimmers or special lighting. Or just in general what kind of equipment to keep the corals happy.

4C42AB00-9D7B-45B6-AFD5-59B646E6F0D6.jpeg

C6CD93BA-76B8-4747-B0BD-819E3B5D27B2.jpeg

Corals need good light to survive.  What are you using right now?

Protein skimmer...no...as long as you are doing regular water changes a skimmer is not necessary.

On 7/21/2020 at 5:48 PM, Javier19 said:

I added two clown fish, 5 snails, live sand, live rock, a fluval filter.

That's a lot of bio-load on a newly-cycled tank.  Be prepared for an algae bloom in case the bacterial population becomes overwhelmed.  (You may get lucky though since you started with live rock and sand.)

On 7/21/2020 at 5:48 PM, Javier19 said:

Also, I have 2 corals added in, and I will like to know if I will need protein skimmers or special lighting. Or just in general what kind of equipment to keep the corals happy.

Seems late for those questions if you already have the animals.

Blue (20,000K) light and strong water flow are the two main requirements for corals.

Corals use dissolved nutrients from the water to survive in places without adequate (reliable and appropriate) food sources, like an aquarium.  So don't try to have the water too clean.  Some phosphates in the water will be critical, especially while your tank is still young.