ReefCleaners.org

Just now, gena said:

Hahaha...love the video!!!  The music is perfect LOL.  I just followed your IG page.  LOVE your stand for the tank.  I like the natural wood top with the white base!!!!

Thank you! It was a fun refinishing project. $40 cabinet, a little sand paper, paint and stain and bam! nice new stand with a nice lip around for resting tools and testing bottles etc. 🙂 Though there are days I look at it and think... I could put a bigger tank on this.... It's a little dangerous lol 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, mipster said:

Thank you! It was a fun refinishing project. $40 cabinet, a little sand paper, paint and stain and bam! nice new stand with a nice lip around for resting tools and testing bottles etc. 🙂 Though there are days I look at it and think... I could put a bigger tank on this.... It's a little dangerous lol 

😂😂😂

6 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

Love conches too. I feel I upgraded my setup just to give Larry the Conch more space to hoover!

20210408_150109-01.thumb.jpeg.8648965e11ff792fd5976772f0872df7.jpeg

Just look at that face! They are legit the cutest and funniest inverts. I'm obsessed with Bert. I just sit and watch him clean lol 

• mipster changed the title to The not an Evo anymore Redemption Reef - Conch appreciation posts

Remember this guy?

183693225_WhatsAppImage2021-08-31at4_18.40PM(1).thumb.jpeg.ff2dbaf213b84aaab47b36af2fe68544.jpeg

Well found out what she was doing!

107091763_WhatsAppImage2021-09-01at10_47_03AM.thumb.jpeg.d4bcea06c3dee60d61e651225bad61b8.jpeg

892365864_WhatsAppImage2021-09-01at10_47.03AM(1).thumb.jpeg.765645cbfbab3310612f786fe0980310.jpeg

Does this mean I can't use my scraper until they hatch? I would love for them to make it and add to the aiptasia buster army. I wonder how long that takes... 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • mipster changed the title to The not an Evo anymore Redemption Reef - Berghia getting busy!
8 minutes ago, Tired said:

I'd leave the scraper alone, yeah. Don't think they'll take too long to hatch? But I don't actually know. 

Google tells me that they will hatch in 10-14 days if they are fertilized. I have no idea if they are so that will be interesting. 

I will avoid moving the scraper and keep an eye on them, see if I notice any changes over the next 2 weeks. It's fun that they are in a location that I can really see the progress.

• Like 2
  • mipster changed the title to The not an Evo anymore Redemption Reef - First Time Fragger Advice

So I want to frag some zoas (the green dragon eyes and these other ones called starbursts by the guy I got them from - not sure if that is a common trade name) but the issue is the rock they are on is at the bottom of the scape so I can't get it out.

1589382376_WhatsAppImage2021-09-01at3_01_25PM.thumb.jpeg.c6a294fefa7d28c1f5ee9f8840c71e58.jpeg1390596654_WhatsAppImage2021-09-01at3_01.25PM(2).thumb.jpeg.aa711cdaa9fc8efea78073afc1097bab.jpeg

I have never fragged anything but I have two types of zoas that are particularly aggressive growers and they've powered over some of my zoas, they managed to overwhelm my utter chaos zoas ages ago but I didn't feel ready to even attempt fragging at that point. One of them is starting to encroach on my Blond Hair Blue Eyes and I don't want to loose them too!

323492092_WhatsAppImage2021-09-01at3_01.25PM(1).thumb.jpeg.0c43c25e7d44b06eab7633b147d7db97.jpeg

I figure it's time I put my big girl pants on and sort it out.

I know all the "wear gloves and goggles, add carbon if fragging in tank, etc".

I think these gloves will work (powderless) - I would love someone to weigh in on that: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B097HZMCWZ/ref=crt_ewc_title_oth_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AUNJIHSVR3Z9M

I'm going to get a small fragging kit with a scalpel  and tweezers to make it a little easier.

If there anything else I need to think of, please let me know.

I'm also going to have to figure out a way to keep my Bi*ch of a clown away from me, she gets big chunks out of me any time my hands are in the tank lol

I'd be more worried about protecting my mouth and eyes than my fingers while fragging zoas. I wore safety glasses and rubber gloves last time I fragged, but my dumb butt didn't realize I had my mouth open when I was fragging and got squirted in my mouth by...something? 

You can use shells to make a sort of fence around the zoas. Then they grow onto the fence, and can be easily cut and lifted free. Not useful here, but good for future reference. 

39 minutes ago, Tired said:

You can use shells to make a sort of fence around the zoas. Then they grow onto the fence, and can be easily cut and lifted free. Not useful here, but good for future reference. 

OOO solid tip, love that

• Like 1

I've fragged a ton of zoas off of rock and the best strategy, IMO, is to get them to all close up and pick your frags not based on the number of polyps, but where it's feasible to cut the mat (after they are off the rocks, you can break them up into frags). What I've always done is used a razor blade to cut the mat, pick a sacrificial polyp on the edge of the mat, clamp down on the base of the polyp right above where it meets with the mat with tweezers or hemostats, and slowly start peeling the mat off. It'll take some effort to get started, but once you can it started it'll go much more easily. If you come to an area that is just too impossible to peel off, cut around the tough patch with the razor blade and pick right back up where you left off. Anything leftover I just kill by ripping it out like pulling weeds if I want it gone, otherwise I just leave it to regrow. With the "sacrificial polyp" I use as a handle for my tweezers, I only lose them maybe 1/3 of the time.

When it's totally detached, I just use a pair of scissors to break down the polyps further into smaller frags. It's way easier to frag off of tiles since you can just cut the whole thing with a dremel or bandsaw just like fragging LPS and don't have to deal with peeling them up.

• Like 2
On 9/3/2021 at 5:09 PM, gena said:

Very cool.  Worms everywhere omgomgomg 

Ya there are WAY TOO MANY in there but the buggers are smart and never come far enough out for my tweezers to get at them. They go all over my corals pissing them all off.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mipster said:

Ya there are WAY TOO MANY in there but the buggers are smart and never come far enough out for my tweezers to get at them. They go all over my corals pissing them all off.

I've got a lot in my tank too!  Took a while for them to show their faces.  Now my face looks like this 😳 .  I've got a BIG one in there :lol:.

I remember reading about a food you can feed the fish for ich!  New life spectrum sells it.  Maybe try feeding your fish that?  If it's in the system, you'll probably need to treat all the fish. And leave the tank fishless for whatever the lifecycle is for ich, I can't remember.  Or try the food and see if that makes a difference.

This is why I've always been hesitant about adding new fish.  Such a pain!

An article on the food:

https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2014/09/17/new-life-spectrum-premieres-products-for-treating-ich-and-intestinal-parasites/

11 minutes ago, gena said:

Awwww...man :(.  What are you going to do?  I wonder why now?  You haven't added any new fish recently right?

I'm not sure what I'll do yet. I have been doing alot of coral shopping, ya never know. I do have a QT tank but it's not set up so I'm hesitant about trying to rip the fish out and putting them in an unstable set up - I don't think that will help. 

I have some garlic guard to add to their food - looks like that food you recommended isn't available here in Canada.

I might see if there is a local who has a QT up and running but we'll see. 

The clowns both look totally fine and normal so fingers crossed they are nice and strong while I figure it out.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mipster said:

I'm not sure what I'll do yet. I have been doing alot of coral shopping, ya never know. I do have a QT tank but it's not set up so I'm hesitant about trying to rip the fish out and putting them in an unstable set up - I don't think that will help. 

I have some garlic guard to add to their food - looks like that food you recommended isn't available here in Canada.

I might see if there is a local who has a QT up and running but we'll see. 

The clowns both look totally fine and normal so fingers crossed they are nice and strong while I figure it out.

Yeah, I was googling ich-shield and it doesn't seem anyone has it.  That article was from a few years ago.  

Just now, gena said:

Yeah, I was googling ich-shield and it doesn't seem anyone has it.  That article was from a few years ago.  

There is the polyp lab medic but the internet is very split on if it actually does anything

9 minutes ago, mipster said:

There is the polyp lab medic but the internet is very split on if it actually does anything

Might be worth the try if it's not too expensive!

• mipster changed the title to The not an Evo anymore Redemption Reef - Meet Hector