ReefCleaners.org

Nothing Good Happens Fast In A Reef Tank  

33 members have voted

1. 1. 'Fess up! How do YOU "reef too fast"? (Check all the apply.)

• Use additives to rush the biological cycle.
    • Use dead rock to avoid hitchhikers.
    • Use additives to treat algae.
    • Add lots of fish at once.
    • Add lots of corals at once.
    • Shop online when you have local choices.
    • Start buying gear before you read your first book.
    • Other. Post if you've got another good one that isn't listed!

8 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

unfortunately, many times I see these type of posts, new hobbyists can't seem to stick with one specific protocol, regardless of what method it is they're using.  And unlike your case, many didn't consider redundancy in the products they used or how certain products could be compromised during shipment/storage.  To top that off, some aren't ready to listen to advices or provide more details on why/how their process isn't going well.  

Therefore, causing chaos within their own cycling steps AND among the advice givers.   just my 0.02 on the cycling drama.

Maybe... but I would like to continue to suggest we match the mentors with the chosen cycling method. I can’t even chime in to help the BioSpira/dry rock users anymore because I have to battle it out with all the opposing advisors and I’m not willing to put myself or the newcomer through that anymore... it can become a disaster. 

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Of course the important thing is to use a beneficial bacteria product that works. I extensively reviewed the beneficial bacteria products before choosing the ones I use, and I use multiple sources so I have a backup in case one was damaged by temperature extremes during transport/storage since some of the products are temperature sensitive. I also use an ammonia badge in my tanks. 

You did things right here by hedging against issues with the product and closely monitoring it, but most people don't and have no idea why they need to. The big issue here with cycling is that unlike the vast majority of bacteria, Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter have incredibly long doubling times - anywhere between 8 and 24 hours depending on the environment, this is almost two orders of magnitude longer than most bacteria. If your starting population is low, it's going to take a very long time to cycle with dry rock.

Lets be honest, most new people here are working with a very limited knowledge and an even more limited budget for their first tank. Taking the time is the only sure-fire way.

• Like 2
mitten_reef
22 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Maybe... but I would like to continue to suggest we match the mentors with the chosen cycling method. I can’t even chime in to help the BioSpira/dry rock users anymore because I have to battle it out with all the opposing advisors and I’m not willing to put myself or the newcomer through that anymore... it can become a disaster. 

sounds like not a bad idea.  I, for one, stay away from the dry rock cycling topic.  I have no experience doing what you did, so I'm far less qualified (zero, in fact) to discuss the nuance of such method.   It wouldn't be a terrible idea to have some "go-to" people around NR - but generally this seems to play itself out organically anyway.    

• Like 1
2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I was more referring to adding fish to cycle the tank. The fish poop was why it was done. Then people started talking about the ammonia burning the gills and often the fish died. I cycled a tank with a blue damsel. I did do a soft cycle which takes a lot longer but keeps the ammonia level lower. The damsel was not returned to the store and lived for years. I think you have do a fine job with your tank and caring for your livestock. Please don’t think I am opposed to your method.

That’s imo one of the biggest things everyone has an opinion and there are so many ways to get to the finish line in setting up a tank. And every tank is different, so they all have there own variables to individually to overcome. Cycling a 500 gallon system with a hearty live fish imo isn’t a big deal and the fish will most likely be fine for years to come, I probably wouldn’t do it but wouldn’t criticize someone who did. Trying a live fish cycle with no bacteria or waiting period for anything to get established in a 5g pico setup that same fish is almost guaranteed to die and someone who does that should be shown a better more ethical way.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, ef4life said:

Cycling a 500 gallon system

4 hours ago, ef4life said:

a 5g pico setup

👍 It's all about dilution.

Anyone who'd attempt to cycle a 5 gallon tank with a Damsel fish would only do so because they don't understand at all what they are doing.  

Starting with a bottle of ammonia and a bottle of bacteria may give that starter fish a "bye" but it does nothing to solve the real problem – lack of experience/lack of understanding.

That reefer will go on to kill something else....just not that fish with that ammonia spike.

That's the main reason I don't go for fishes cycling....IMO it does not promote old practices, it promotes rushing the job and short-cutting the learning.

Reading a book like Marine Aquarium Handbook Beginner to Breeder that covers things like the nitrogen cycle with academic thoroughness would prevent almost all startup issues.   Folks do Facebook or YouTube (or whatever) instead though.

• Like 1