Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

William’s Socially Distant Mantis

William

1 hour ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Thank you... She's actually living in our rock flower tank, which was specifically built for a mantis in mind. @EfrainChicagoDeepdish just created a build thread for the tank that started it all, restart, which will be an SPS dominant tank (If you look at the photo I posted this month, for the picture of the month contest, it's the tank on the left. It's contents got transferred to our 80 gallon tank, which is the build thread in my signature) and the rock flower/mantis tank is the tank on the right. You can see the tank keepers thread at: 

It's currently focused on the SPS restart tank, but I believe that @EfrainChicagoDeepdish will intertwine some of the RFA/Mantis tank in it as well, since they sit right next to each other. 

Sorry I’m a little confused, which tank is it? Since you have combined the

build threads of multiple tanks into one it is kinda confusing. 

NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, William said:

Sorry I’m a little confused, which tank is it? Since you have combined the

build threads of multiple tanks into one it is kinda confusing. 

Sorry - it is confusing. 

We do not have a build thread on the RFA tank, that has the mantis in it. It'll probably get discussed in @EfrainChicagoDeepdish thread. All though, as I'm rethinking this, maybe I should create a thread of it's own for this tank - even thought it's all ready pretty well established. 

53 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Sorry - it is confusing. 

We do not have a build thread on the RFA tank, that has the mantis in it. It'll probably get discussed in @EfrainChicagoDeepdish thread. All though, as I'm rethinking this, maybe I should create a thread of it's own for this tank - even thought it's all ready pretty well established. 

I have found that having a dedicated thread for each tank is best way to go, especially since there are two of you and multiple tanks. For someone not knowing your situation  it is very confusing. You could just make a quick write up detailing the tank (similar to a tank of the month write up) and go over some of the history and where it is today. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, William said:

I have found that having a dedicated thread for each tank is best way to go, especially since there are two of you and multiple tanks. For someone not knowing your situation  it is very confusing. You could just make a quick write up detailing the tank (similar to a tank of the month write up) and go over some of the history and where it is today. 

I’m beginning to think he has multiple personalities......why all this coded language @NoOneLikesADryTang ? 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
54 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I’m beginning to think he has multiple personalities......why all this coded language @NoOneLikesADryTang ? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Ooooohhhh... That'd be a fun twist... Sadly, it isn't true. Or is it? 

5 minutes ago, William said:

So I decided to break up some of my KPA live rock before putting it I to my friends tank. 

this is what I found. 

92DF11F7-5458-4E3A-9D4C-D36FE4723C7C.jpeg

ACF941E4-FAEB-4CF5-94D2-A16CABF1CEF4.jpeg

0A9699A0-D3FA-4FF3-9131-5C6389B35854.jpeg

Dude!! Super cool. You keeping it? Which tank are you going to put it in? 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Ooooohhhh... That'd be a fun twist... Sadly, it isn't true. Or is it? 

Dude!! Super cool. You keeping it? Which tank are you going to put it in? 

I think I’m going to put it in the mantis tank. The rock in that tank came from the same place so it’s highly unlikely there isn’t one in there already 

**** edit****  from my research this species eats coral, so I had to get rid of him. I probably have more of them but I don’t want to purposely add one. 

• Like 3

Water checked out perfect again, and all of the test corals I have added are doing great. I decided to move the mantis Into his new home. He has made a home

in the big rock .

268235C8-7D15-4601-85E9-B989B974DC82.jpeg

6146853D-A261-4E62-B8F2-4894E30B415E.jpeg

EB33FCC1-37B3-4F77-9F9E-DBEA0507918F.jpeg

• Like 4

Any thoughts on the scape? Coral placement ? 

im considering doing ricordia around the base of the left rock and mushrooms around the base of the right rock. For the top of the left rock, I’m stuck between a few SPS (I have my infected green no name acro frag already there) or a black widow BTA. 

Other things I’m considering adding: RFA, mini-maxi nems, maybe some

zoas 

18 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I think the scape looks great! You’ve got a lot of green on the left rock, so I’d be conscious of that for future corals, and maybe try to break some of it up. 

The mantis did not like the Ricordia next to his rock so I moved them to the right island. I fed him again today, he like PE Mysis. 

• Like 2

I went ahead and added the Black Widow BTA (I will at least try it in here), as my partner wanted me to get the ugly DIY anemone box out of my main display. 

1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

love the gorgonians.  what's the green coral(?) at the very top of the big rock?    

It’s a blue Acropora that has been infected with green fluorescent protein,

so the tips are glacier blue while the body is fluorescent green. I have had this strain for a few years, it got infected with green fluorescent protein about 2 years ago. 

• Like 1

Just stopped by my LFS, picked up some snails for the Nano. I also decided that the tank needed a fish. I almost let myself put a black storm clown in there, bud decided against it. So i picked up a smallish Blue Eyed glass cardinal. 

I also picked up a small red tube anemone for this tank. My LFS has a $5 “TLC” section and today it was full of browned out acros, so I picked up five. In the past I have been pretty successful at getting them to color up in my main display tank. 

• Like 2

Everything seems to be doing well. I am

having a mild diatom bloom. The mantis is starting to become much more outgoing, though he is still very difficult to photograph. 

DAF909E0-A015-4429-B718-E42E852E6323.jpeg

259F12D7-EC58-4EC4-84CB-FF1AC717662E.jpeg

31817524-8D22-4F48-8BC5-617E651AC842.png

99017543-0406-4BB8-B866-031347DFD978.jpeg

• Like 5
30 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

That rock is looking incredible. I love the RFA's put on it. 

How big is your mantis? 2-3"? 

About 2” and thanks! 

• Like 2