Cultivated Reef

Proper powerhead placement - 10 gallon nano mixed reef

Crass

Hey guys!

Setting up my first saltwater tank. It's a 10 gallon IM Fusion nano. Wondering if this powerhead placement will be ok. It's a koralia 425 + 95gph stock return pump (top right of pic).

Trying to hide the PH in the back left, with return outlet top right. Flow hits front glass and swirls around.

Will this do for a mixed reef tank? Planning on getting SPS eventually down the line.

Thanks!! 

20200208_175958.jpg

Maybe.  You have to test it out. 

Is there enough flow to a least move some sand grains around a little bit?  If not, then the flow probably won't be able to keep food or detritus afloat either....a problem for your sand bed...and for your corals which would like to eat all of that as food.  If you put a little flake food in the tank, you can see the flow more visually....that may help you too.

• Thanks 1
On 2/9/2020 at 5:10 AM, mcarroll said:

Maybe.  You have to test it out. 

Is there enough flow to a least move some sand grains around a little bit?  If not, then the flow probably won't be able to keep food or detritus afloat either....a problem for your sand bed...and for your corals which would like to eat all of that as food.  If you put a little flake food in the tank, you can see the flow more visually....that may help you too.

The grains in the front do occasionally tumble a little. Not so much in the back though 

My return pump that came with the IM fusion nano 10 gallon is only 95hph. Think I should upgrade to a 300gph? 

Thinking 425 powerhead + 300 return will be decent 

Maybe a variable speed ph would be better. I have a 10g and I wish I had done it. Currently I have

a fluval 406 canister a Kroalia nano and a koralia evlution for water movement and filtration .

My tank is BB so theres no sand storms which makes it easier for more flow.

• Like 1

Like I said, you kinda have to test it......you said you see grains of sand moving, so that part seems at least okay.   

Does a little bit of flake food or fish eggs seem to stay swirling around quite a while if you really pay attention?  Or do you see bits landing in dead spots sometimes?  Maybe drifting into the rock never to be seen again?

As others have said, see how it goes - but it looks fine to me. The pump flow will bounce nicely off that front glass and wrap around to the right, with the natural dead spot being that back right corner (that's where to get stuck in with the gravel vac)! I had a set up just like this (inc Koralia pump) but ended up upgrading to smaller pump that has random flow (TMC Reeftide 4000s).