Top Shelf Aquatics

Tank is being attacked by brown spiderweb

Reefjunkye

Please help me to identify what I have in my tank. Filmlike sluggish brown attacking my coral (especially the tip of my bubble gum) they are not on the rock.. Euphyllias are thriving, some zoas melted. Some are open but no looking great. Acans are thriving, sps is always getting covered from the tips. Running chemipure blue and skimmer 
here’s my parameter

ph 8.1

salinity 1.026

mag 1350 

dkh 8.6 

NO3 5-10 

NO2 0

Ammonia 0 

temp 79.3 

phos= 18 (hannah checker ulr) 

49364236926_2b3a2804b8_b.jpg

3 minutes ago, Reefjunkye said:

Please help me to identify what I have in my tank. Euphyllias are thriving, some zoas melted. Some are open but no looking great. Acans are thriving, sps is always getting covered from the tips. Running chemipure blue and skimmer 
here’s my parameter

ph 8.1

salinity 1.026

mag 1350 

dkh 8.6 

NO3 5-10 

NO2 0

Ammonia 0 

temp 79.3 

phos= 18 (hannah checker ulr) 

49364236926_2b3a2804b8_b.jpg

Is it possible to get some pics in whiter light?

Okay I will wait for the light to turn on and take another picture but they very easy to blow it away. They will come back within couple hours and attacking the same coral same spot, I am suspecting that the tip of my bubble gums are dead do to a dkh swing from last month. But still the spiderweb thing is annoying. I hope is not Dino!! I quit reefing 3 years ago because of Dino. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Reefjunkye said:

Please help, I am so depressed lol 

Is it on any of the healthy corals or just the ones that have dead parts or are struggling in some way?  Is it anywhere else in the tank?

9 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Is it on any of the healthy corals or just the ones that have dead parts or are struggling in some way?  Is it anywhere else in the tank?

It’s not sticky, very easy to blow away with a turkey baster. I would say it’s just on the dead parts of the corals. It won’t bother healthy, seems like it likes to bother my zoas when they are closed, by the way, this problem started like 10 days ago. I just did water changed and changed the chemipure blue media. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Reefjunkye said:

It’s not sticky, very easy to blow away with a turkey baster. I would say it’s just on the dead parts of the corals. It won’t bother healthy, seems like it likes to bother my zoas when they are closed 

How’s the flow in there?

• Like 1

I looked over your Journal in your signature link and your tank looked so beautiful.  Sorry that you're having these issues now.  In some of the shots, it does remind me of dino's like I had in the School NR which no longer has it..

I agree that you want to make sure that you have good flow in there.  Also, continue to siphon any of that dino-looking snot out, you don't want to keep that on the corals.

Personally, I dosed 1 ml of Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) per 10 gallons for one week on the School NR, and haven't had that issue since (on the 4th day, the Dino's disappeared).  And I also made sure my Chaeto macroalgae was growing well (at the time, I didn't have the right lighting to grow it) and I introduced Tisbe copepods several times beforehand.

Good luck, I hope it gets better.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Reefjunkye said:

Never heard of hydrogen peroxide 

There's a ton of information out there if you ever get curious.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dose+1+ml+of+Hydrogen+Peroxide+(3%)+per+10+gallons

I know on here there are mixed results; it works for some people and not for others.  I figured I'd give it a try along with chaeto macroalgae + copepods, and it worked for me.  I'd rather mention it to you than keep it a secret in case you end up quitting again if I didn't say anything at all.

Vibrant aquarium cleaner. Brs did a good test on the stuff and it works great for me. With no negative results I have used peroxide before as well just make sure when you stop using it you don't cut it add less and less until you are at 0. In my experience cutting it fast has bad effects. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

There's a ton of information out there if you ever get curious.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dose+1+ml+of+Hydrogen+Peroxide+(3%)+per+10+gallons

I know on here there are mixed results; it works for some people and not for others.  I figured I'd give it a try along with chaeto macroalgae + copepods, and it worked for me.  I'd rather mention it to you than keep it a secret in case you end up quitting again if I didn't say anything at all.

Dang! I should try that! Just want to be 100% that I have is Dino lol .. I don’t want to quit. Invested too much this time. I got og bounce and some high end stuff in it. I am in Canada don’t know where to get the hydrogen peroxide lol

7 minutes ago, Phi said:

Vibrant aquarium cleaner. Brs did a good test on the stuff and it works great for me. With no negative results I have used peroxide before as well just make sure when you stop using it you don't cut it add less and less until you are at 0. In my experience cutting it fast has bad effects. 

Did you have any issues with the Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner killing the Chaeto macroalgae?  I was reading through the Questions and Reviews on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-Liquid-Aquarium-Cleaner/dp/B01JMI003W/) and there's a bunch of customers whom say it killed off their Chaeto which can be problematic.

2 minutes ago, Reefjunkye said:

Dang! I should try that! I don’t want to quit. Invested too much this time. I got og bounce and some high end stuff in it. I am in Canada don’t know where to get the hydrogen peroxide lol

They sell Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) at like every pharmacy and drugstore here in the US, and also on Amazon.  Heck, I think they even sell it at the dollar store. 😄

I will I use everything in aquarium at less then the recommended I use .5 ml if they say 1 ml just a good idea to use less and gradually move up if needed never had any issues with chaeto or anything. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Phi said:

I will I use everything in aquarium at less then the recommended I use .5 ml if they say 1 ml just a good idea to use less and gradually move up if needed never had any issues with chaeto or anything. 

I agree with that.  For instance, if you use too much Reef-Roids or too often, sometimes it creates a cyanobacteria outbreak.  I cut down on it along with some other preventative measures, and no more cyanobacteria.

16 minutes ago, Reefjunkye said:

Hydrogen peroxide.. so is not something I can buy at lfs correct? Should I go with vibrant? Is like $50cnd... 

I'd research your options and choose the one that you feel most comfortable with.  But, if the issue is just trying to find Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) in Canada, you should be able to find it at any Walmart, Rexall, Brunet, DRUGStore Pharmacy, Lawtons, London Drugs, PharmaChoice, Pharmasave, Proxim, Uniprix, or any of the other pharmacies in Canada.  Here, it only costs like $1 USD, so it's very cheap.

1 hour ago, Reefjunkye said:

Hydrogen peroxide.. so is not something I can buy at lfs correct? Should I go with vibrant? Is like $50cnd... 

i’m in Canada too. You can get peroxide at walmart, shoppers drug mart, ida, some grocery store pharmacy sections and dollarama

• Like 2

Slow down for a minute with the peroxide and definitely with the vibrant, this isn't an algae issue and it cannot always be solved by hammering algae and biodiversity in your tank.
Here's a helpful thread
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/

My recommendations:
Cut your light intensity 40% or so and keep you photoperiod @ max intensity (whatever you have it peaking at now -30 or so %) around 7 hours, 1 ramp up 1 ramp down + however long (within reason) you want to keep @ 25-50% for viewing.
Get your phosphates up to 0.1+ and your nitrates up to or past 10 and keep them there
Dose a mixture of pods.
Start dosing phyto, this will help with phosphate and with pods (I just use seachem's)
Keep on manual removal and slow down on waterchanges, 5% a week tops, preferably every-other or none at-all for a month or so (dose alk and calcium to keep corals happy)
Run smaller amounts of carbon and change them frequently.

If these are dinos, and they certainly look like them, you'll also need patience - this likely came on slowly and will take weeks or months to pass.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Slow down for a minute with the peroxide and definitely with the vibrant, this isn't an algae issue and it cannot always be solved by hammering algae and biodiversity in your tank.
Here's a helpful thread
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/

My recommendations:
Cut your light intensity 40% or so and keep you photoperiod @ max intensity (whatever you have it peaking at now -30 or so %) around 7 hours, 1 ramp up 1 ramp down + however long (within reason) you want to keep @ 25-50% for viewing.
Get your phosphates up to 0.1+ and your nitrates up to or past 10 and keep them there
Dose a mixture of pods.
Start dosing phyto, this will help with phosphate and with pods (I just use seachem's)
Keep on manual removal and slow down on waterchanges, 10% a week tops, preferably every-other or none for a month or so (dose alk and calcium to keep corals happy)
Run smaller amounts of carbon and change them frequently.

Sorry read wrong and definitely saw wrong. 

• Like 1