Top Shelf Aquatics

Tank is being attacked by brown spiderweb

Reefjunkye

7 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

I looked over the thread.  Again, a lot of hobbyists that have Dino's do not even have Chaeto within their tanks.  So blaming Chaeto for Dino's is very misleading.  The only thing to blame is that their tanks are void of Biodiversity and lack the proper nutrients for that diversity to survive.  I do believe you can have too much of a good thing, such as macroalgae, so there needs to be balance as well, and moderation for all things.  It's like, if you have too many fish, everything will die because the bio-load gets too high.  The same goes for everything else.  A moderate amount of Chaeto or macroalgae will not cause the "end of the world" theme you seem to be shouting.  When it grows, you remove some, thus the point of a nutrient exporter.  And if you're doing lots of water changes or you have a protein skimmer, then don't get Chaeto or macroalgae.  You're already depleting your tank of the nitrates and phosphates manually.

You looked over 420+ pages worth of 8000+ posts that quickly?  :sideeyes:

I don't think anyone is blaming chaeto for dino's.....that's just hyperbole.  Not helpful in an already complex topic.

In contrast, I DO think some folks in this thread were claiming something like "chaeto cures dino's by bringing diversity".....or something like that....but I'm not going back to associate a name with the claim.  It's just more hyperbole.

What I'd like folks to see is that chaeto is just a tool and nothing more dramatic.  (Like I said earlier.)

Of course any tool can be misused

With over-use being perhaps the most common misuse, a la the Law of the instrument.  (aka If your only tool is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail.)

Unfortunately many of our hobby's tools are regularly misused....especially by newbies that are setting up new tanks. 

Lots of this misuse stem from newbies copying more advanced tanks that are being run by more advanced reefers.  "Hyper copying" as it's called, is why, when possible, I dissuade newbies from even looking at ToTM threads.  Almost without exception that is the opposite of what they need (which is a book filled with boring-ass basics).

Whether less misuse of Chaeto would actually cause less dino tanks to happen is speculation, but seeing as it is one of the contributor to the situation it seems likely to me. 

If I could wave a magic wand and make all the dead rock be alive, turn all phosphate removers into crushed coral and change all the hobby's organic carbon into delicious margaritas to sip while we watch our tanks, I do think I could end dino's in the hobby permanently, or at last demote them back to legendary/almost-never-seen status as they existed prior to the 2000's.

Fantasies aside, there are a number of "chaeto cases" that you could find in the R2R thread, if you were looking, where folks have had to remove chaeto in order to get control of their situation.

Misuse of chaeto (using when it's not needed) happens fairly regularly, FWIW. 

Thankfully dino's aren't an automatic side-effect!!  If they were a whole lot more people would have dino tanks.  LOL

You can also find chaeto being used in some of the more experimental treatments for dino's that don't respond to the usual measures. 

You'll note (as I said) that these are experimental treatment ideas and all of them carry a low success rate (close to zero) compared to the main thread treatments.

In general, if you have a dino tank, you should read through and follow the main post's guidelines. 

If it doesn't work out in the end, then you're in a tiny, tiny minority (like a lottery winner but backwards) and you can move on to try some other things.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

You looked over 420+ pages worth of 8000+ posts that quickly?  :sideeyes:

I don't think anyone is blaming chaeto for dino's.....that's just hyperbole.  Not helpful in an already complex topic.

In contrast, I DO think some folks in this thread were claiming something like "chaeto cures dino's by bringing diversity".....or something like that....but I'm not going back to associate a name with the claim.  It's just more hyperbole.

What I'd like folks to see is that chaeto is just a tool and nothing more dramatic.  (Like I said earlier.)

Of course any tool can be misused

With over-use being perhaps the most common misuse, a la the Law of the instrument.  (aka If your only tool is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail.)

Unfortunately many of our hobby's tools are regularly misused....especially by newbies that are setting up new tanks. 

Lots of this misuse stem from newbies copying more advanced tanks that are being run by more advanced reefers.  "Hyper copying" as it's called, is why, when possible, I dissuade newbies from even looking at ToTM threads.  Almost without exception that is the opposite of what they need (which is a book filled with boring-ass basics).

Whether less misuse of Chaeto would actually cause less dino tanks to happen is speculation, but seeing as it is one of the contributor to the situation it seems likely to me. 

If I could wave a magic wand and make all the dead rock be alive, turn all phosphate removers into crushed coral and change all the hobby's organic carbon into delicious margaritas to sip while we watch our tanks, I do think I could end dino's in the hobby permanently, or at last demote them back to legendary/almost-never-seen status as they existed prior to the 2000's.

Fantasies aside, there are a number of "chaeto cases" that you could find in the R2R thread, if you were looking, where folks have had to remove chaeto in order to get control of their situation.

Misuse of chaeto (using when it's not needed) happens fairly regularly, FWIW. 

Thankfully dino's aren't an automatic side-effect!!  If they were a whole lot more people would have dino tanks.  LOL

You can also find chaeto being used in some of the more experimental treatments for dino's that don't respond to the usual measures. 

You'll note (as I said) that these are experimental treatment ideas and all of them carry a low success rate (close to zero) compared to the main thread treatments.

In general, if you have a dino tank, you should read through and follow the main post's guidelines. 

If it doesn't work out in the end, then you're in a tiny, tiny minority (like a lottery winner but backwards) and you can move on to try some other things.

Thank you, I agree that if anything is misused, it causes issues.  Whether it's stocking, or having too much of anything such as macroalgae, it can cause all sorts of problems.  And I just read the first page.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay guys, I beat the shit out of the Dino. This is what I did. I bought vibrant and refine. Dose 1.4mil every 4th day, dose 1 ml of refine daily. Now the tank is crystal clear. NO3 still high 25pmm (expected because of the refine). Thanks for everyone that helped me. So far lost couple of zoas and 2 sps.