inTank Media Baskets

B... Reefing

Bruno_Soares

25 minutes ago, karen nation said:

I am sorry no advice but I have a question.  I have been trying to cycle little over a month but had spread rock and live sand.  Lots of problems just cycling!  Did you add you coral after you were cycled?  How long didi you wait.  I am thinking af adding a few corals soon after I cycle but I have even been told not to run light after adding fish for a while, that is using bacteria to start.  You would have caught a lot of flackin here if you did that I am a newbie and they seam to be very old fashioned with the process!  I have been trolled by a few even,just asking questions on cycling!

Old fashioned? Really ? 

Multiple people have tried to help you only for you to argue with them because it wasn't what you wanted to hear. 

You even said it shouldn't take this long to cycle because its 2020 . The nitrogen cycle doesn't care what year it is Karen and no you cant speak to its manager to complain about it.  

Every single tank will be different in regards to cycle time. Some will go months before they are ready, and some may not even show signs of a cycle.  

Your need for instant gratification will be the death of your tank and your wallet in this hobby. You need to SLOW DOWN 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, jbb_00 said:

Old fashioned? Really ? 

Multiple people have tried to help you only for you to argue with them because it wasn't what you wanted to hear. 

You even said it shouldn't take this long to cycle because its 2020 . The nitrogen cycle doesn't care what year it is Karen and no you cant speak to its manager to complain about it.  

Every single tank will be different in regards to cycle time. Some will go months before they are ready, and some may not even show signs of a cycle.  

Your need for instant gratification will be the death of your tank and your wallet in this hobby. You need to SLOW DOWN 

I've had tanks and one of our shop system take 6 months to finally settle down.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
On 1/8/2020 at 11:11 AM, Clown79 said:

Welcome to Nano!

I don't think there is truth in aiptasia x spreading aiptasia.

Unfortunately aiptasia multiply on their own and can also move- sometimes in this hobby, we end up with rumors that start because of the wrong conclusion of the hobbyist(like bristle worms killing fish, no the fish was most likely already dead and owner discovered clean up crew cleaning up)

If aiptasia x isn't properly applied, the aiptasia will shrink into a hole and move, this can lead ppl to believe they have multiplied.

I have used aiptasia x and it's always worked. 

Turn of all water movement, applied aiptasia x onto aiptasia. Let sit 10- 15 mins, turn water movement back on. Sometimes it takes a few attempts but it works.

I tried peppermint shrimp, I lucked out to have them eat my corals. They can do this.

I believe @Tamberav has used boiling water to kill aiptasia.

The only way to confirm dino's is under a microscope and black out periods don't work on dino's.

In a new tank you often will see various algae stages but dino's come out of dormancy when there is a lack of biodiversity and nutrients in the tanks, they thrive in these conditions.

Whatever you do, DO NOT use one of the lasers to kill them. We went from about 10 to well over 100 because they released gametes when I hit them with the laser. If I use it again, I will apply suction via a 3/16" piece of airline tubing catching them thereby avoiding their spread. Now I use Scats and I have some Stripeys arriving this afternoon to give them a try since Vietnamese stock is rife with Aiptasia.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, karen nation said:

I am sorry no advice but I have a question.  I have been trying to cycle little over a month but had spread rock and live sand.  Lots of problems just cycling!  Did you add you coral after you were cycled?  How long didi you wait.  I am thinking af adding a few corals soon after I cycle but I have even been told not to run light after adding fish for a while, that is using bacteria to start.  You would have caught a lot of flackin here if you did that I am a newbie and they seam to be very old fashioned with the process!  I have been trolled by a few even,just asking questions on cycling!

I am also new to reefing and I have some big mistakes already. Not adding bacteria and inserting some corals too soon are some of them. I added Tubipora Musica as you can see and it is ok, but not many corals would be. Learning is a process and sometimes we try to rush things, so my best advice is to learn from those that are more experient and still you will do some errors. Read my post from the beginning. There is still not much info, but I will try to post as much as possible. Good luck to you.

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, Bruno_Soares said:

I am also new to reefing and I have some big mistakes already. Not adding bacteria and inserting some corals too soon are some of them. I added Tubipora Musica as you can see and it is ok, but not many corals would be.

A lot of corals are quite resilient when faced with small anomalies. What kills corals is a continuance of bad water conditions or an extreme water condition. Take for instance global warming. If the water was only warm for a short period it wouldn't be an issue. The problem comes from months/years of those warm conditions.

Pipe organ coral is pretty tough. We've had a piece for about 5 years and it's been moved a dozen times, fragged as many times and it keeps going.

• Like 7
Just now, StinkyBunny said:

Pipe organ coral is pretty tough. We've had a piece for about 5 years and it's been moved a dozen times, fragged as many times and it keeps going.

After I started using bacteria, I noticed that Tubipora opened much better and already is growing. It is a pretty coral. My GSP is growing since I inserted it, but with the introduction of bacteria I can see it getting much brighter and more open. 

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Bruno_Soares said:

After I started using bacteria, I noticed that Tubipora opened much better and already is growing. It is a pretty coral. My GSP is growing since I inserted it, but with the introduction of bacteria I can see it getting much brighter and more open. 

There are many interactions with different strains of bacteria. Most corals feed on bacterial sized particles. We've just scratched the surface as to what we know about coral feeding. I still add natural seawater to my home systems, the Aussies do it all the time and most of their tanks are breathtaking.

• Like 4
49 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Whatever you do, DO NOT use one of the lasers to kill them. We went from about 10 to well over 100 because they released gametes when I hit them with the laser. If I use it again, I will apply suction via a 3/16" piece of airline tubing catching them thereby avoiding their spread. Now I use Scats and I have some Stripeys arriving this afternoon to give them a try since Vietnamese stock is rife with Aiptasia.

Thank you for that info.

A lot of ppl advise on the Lazer method but I always wondered about the various downsides to it.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Thank you for that info.

A lot of ppl advise on the Lazer method but I always wondered about the various downsides to it.

My little RSM130D exploded with them. I really want to try using suction on them with the laser to see if that works. I'll have time next week since it's a slow shipping week for us. I sent the laser to teenyreef and he said the same thing.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Thank you for that info.

Look up Frank's F aiptasia , stuff works great 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Thank you for that info.

I tried it in a coffee jar, went from a single to roughly 30 after I popped it with the laser. 

• Wow 4
On 1/24/2020 at 10:30 AM, Clown79 said:

Thank you for that info.

Always seemed like a silly (and dangerous) novelty to me.  Not something anyone serious-minded would try.

...then I saw folks that I'd have thought would know better promoting them on youtube.  🙄

The Internet.  Go figure.

• Like 1
On 1/24/2020 at 7:21 AM, Bruno_Soares said:

Can you help me identifying these? The worm, the moving little bug and those spots on the glass that are increasing in population...  

https://youtu.be/PQe5CZY_dBA

https://youtu.be/zP-2KdYpDmE

https://youtu.be/uhX3a9cGLjM

I can't tell by the video what algae that is, if its hair or dino's.

Can you get a pic?

The second one looks like a bristle worm possibly

2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Always seemed like a silly (and dangerous) novelty to me.  Not something anyone serious-minded would try.

...then I saw folks that I'd have thought would know better promoting them on youtube.  🙄

The Internet.  Go figure.

Oh, the one I have is no toy, it will cut aluminum. I tried the suction method last night and it seems that the anemone released and all of the gametes ended up in the waste water bucket. Now to see if the entire base was removed.

• Like 2
On 1/25/2020 at 6:13 PM, Clown79 said:

I can't tell by the video what algae that is, if its hair or dino's.

Can you get a pic?

The second one looks like a bristle worm possibly

I will try to do a better video. Or a better picture. I will post it as soon as possible.

Yesterday after my water change, I could not find any worms. But the other critters were still there.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a couple of Lysmata Seticaudata. Saw 2 Aiptaisas, on the Zoa Watermelon which is already gone and a bigger one on the sand, still there.

Also bought Reef Roids from Polyp Lab. I will try to give a little boost to my corals and also feed my shrimp since there aren´t many aiptasias. Who as tried this?

And some videos from my Zoas. Watermelon, Radioactive and Sunflower...

11 hours ago, Bruno_Soares said:

There are 2 of them. They still have about 8 cm. 

"Mini-brittle Star" then.  Cool!  A scavenger.  I'd worry about any of the bigger ones, but the micros and minis are too small to grab a fish or invert.  And cool to watch.

10 hours ago, Bruno_Soares said:

Bought a couple of Lysmata Seticaudata. Saw 2 Aiptaisas, on the Zoa Watermelon which is already gone and a bigger one on the sand, still there.

Also bought Reef Roids from Polyp Lab. I will try to give a little boost to my corals and also feed my shrimp since there aren´t many aiptasias.

I'd say to make sure the Aiptasia are gone before you attempt directly feeding corals....the anemones are far more aggressive feeders and will make use of A LOT more of that food than your corals would.

A few things on the coral feeding. 

First, your fish are already continuously feeding your corals in multiple ways -- it's unlikely your corals need any more food. 

Second, in general coral feeding does more to foul the tank and cause algae blooms than it does to boost corals. 

Last, you're better off maximizing the food you're giving your fish.  Feed them as much as you can without overfeeding, and feed them the best foods you can without breaking your budget.  Live > Frozen/Refrigerated > Dry

Doing coral feeding way (indirect), you end up with fat, healthy fish AND bomb-ass corals with almost zero chance of causing an algae bloom, etc.

I assume you'll at least use the package of 'Roids you have instead of returning it, so my advice on that is to keep it moderate.  Whatever the instructions say to do -- know that it's WAY TOO MUCH.

Start with doses of food that seem too small to matter for your tank and that should be just about right -- let your tank get used to it, since most of it will be going to "the tank" anyway and not corals.  IF you increase your doses (doubt you'll have to) only do it by small amounts, and only VERY gradually over time.

I forgot to mention another benefit to fish feeding vs coral feeding -- fish feeding is WAY WAY more fun.  😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The photo doesn´t do any justice to the fish. It is much prettier than that.

Supposedly, I will receive my test kit this week and I will post the results as soon as possible. Ordered the Compact Lab by Tropic Marin.

IMG_20200216_202644.jpg