Scotty Amen

Scotty Amen's Coralife BioCube 32 Journal

Scotty Amen

Welp here I go again...

image.png.5cb9b003217192bfb014133df6d769a8.png

32 gallons is still a nano, right?

Last year's journal started in January and was my first saltwater tank, an Evo 13.5 and represented my first foray into salt.  It's zoas and fish and I chose easy to keep inhabitants.

I haven't decided on the theme for this tank, any ideas?  

This is so addicting.

• Like 5

Scotty Amen
35 minutes ago, Scotty Amen said:

Maybe zoas and acans this time?

• Like 1

billygoat

And another Biocube joins the fray! Love it! Congratulations on your new tank. I can't wait to see what you do with the upgrade. 😉

1 hour ago, Scotty Amen said:

It's a versatile system with a lot of room to create beautiful and unique aquascapes, so I think you have a lot of options when it comes to stocking choices! One factor may influence your decision making though: are you planning to run the stock Biocube LEDs, or will you be upgrading the light down the road? I know the BioQueen @banasophia is currently setting up a 32g Biocube with the intention of growing SPS under stock lights, so maybe the sky's the limit when it comes to these things!

• Like 2

Scotty Amen
3 minutes ago, billygoat said:

are you planning to run the stock Biocube LEDs, or will you be upgrading the light down the road?

Great question / point.  Stock LEDs now, upgraded lights later.

I will check out BioQueen's thread to follow / copy :) 

Thank you!

• Like 1

banasophia

@Scotty Amen, congrats on your new tank!! 

1 hour ago, billygoat said:

And another Biocube joins the fray! Love it! Congratulations on your new tank. I can't wait to see what you do with the upgrade. 😉

It's a versatile system with a lot of room to create beautiful and unique aquascapes, so I think you have a lot of options when it comes to stocking choices! One factor may influence your decision making though: are you planning to run the stock Biocube LEDs, or will you be upgrading the light down the road? I know the BioQueen @banasophia is currently setting up a 32g Biocube with the intention of growing SPS under stock lights, so maybe the sky's the limit when it comes to these things!

Thanks for the mention, and the sweet nickname @billygoat! ☺️🤗.

1 hour ago, Scotty Amen said:

Great question / point.  Stock LEDs now, upgraded lights later.

I will check out BioQueen's thread to follow / copy 🙂

Thank you!

I do love me my BioCubes! And I really love the lights, specifically, and personally wouldn’t buy this tank if I wanted to go lidless, although I might consider adding an extra light strip down the road to the existing lights for additional color enhancement/PAR for my SPS if needed. 

My Biocube 16 was my first fish tank; it grows a wide variety of (non-SPS) corals under stock lights (and was TOTM here when it turned one year old, and is currently featured in Reef Hobbyist Magazine), so there’s a ton you can do with stock lights... don’t give up on them yet!  And if you check out @Jackal227 ‘s Biocube 16, you can see the success he’s having with SPS under stock lights!

• Like 2

Scotty Amen

Thanks for the info! 👍🏻

• Like 1

WV Reefer
12 hours ago, Scotty Amen said:

Welp here I go again...

image.png.5cb9b003217192bfb014133df6d769a8.png

32 gallons is still a nano, right?

Last year's journal started in January and was my first saltwater tank, an Evo 13.5 and represented my first foray into salt.  It's zoas and fish and I chose easy to keep inhabitants.

This is so addicting.

What are you thinking for fish in this tank?

• Like 1

Scotty Amen

Other than the traditional 2 clowns, I’m completely open to any ideas. 

• Like 2

Scotty Amen

Ooooh maybe this reef theme can be Acans & Acropora?   

How well do Acropora do in the bio? I have to check that out.

• Like 1

NaturallyKait

Nice upgrade! I’ve been eyeing one up too. 

• Like 1

banasophia
2 hours ago, Scotty Amen said:

Ooooh maybe this reef theme can be Acans & Acropora?   

How well do Acropora do in the bio? I have to check that out.

Well... I don’t know of people doing acros under stock lights yet, but I’ll be trying primarily acros and montis in mine...  it would be awesome if we both gave it a shot! That being said, the lights may not be strong enough (as in - most people think I’m crazy for even trying, but I want to see how much I can push the limits so I’m giving it a shot).

If you want to grow things that are more likely to do well under the stock lights, soft corals, many LPS, rock flower nems, and gorgonians are all great choices that can be done and create an amazing tank. 

• Like 1

Scotty Amen

Thanks Banasophia!

• Like 2

banasophia

FYI, looks like Caribsea Liferock is on sale, if you’re thinking of using it again in this tank... I swear by Liferock and Biospira. ☺️

AFE23CDB-4173-405A-9F0B-C74B258AC077.thumb.jpeg.ba4b77b296959d510a1fa22001937c75.jpeg

• Like 1

Scotty Amen

Thanks Sophia! I really liked the liferock for the last tank.

• Like 2

Scotty Amen

Haven't done much yet.  Picked out a spot in the living room.

Tested the fans and I set up a light schedule to test that and see how it works (it's nice!)

Next step: build a stand.  I determined a good height for the tank (my wife is short) and hopefully I'll have the stand done this week.

• Like 2