Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

4 minutes ago, seabass said:

A mate for your clown would likely change its behavior.  I believe that you've previously entertained keeping another clownfish.

It was an option yes, the issue is finding something suitably smaller...... I'll have a think and a chat with the Mrs tonight. She's been pretty down since losing the Betta's (divider failed) so might cheer her up and resolve this issue.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Basically.  But I doubt the tailspot recognizes it as submission.  It would prefer the clownfish just leave it's territory.

While the clownfish is content to share territory, the blenny isn't (not that unusual).  It's more unusual that the clownfish has taken to the barnacles.

I never thought about a tailspot being territorial :whoa:. I figured they were peaceful

6 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I never thought about a tailspot being territorial :whoa:. I figured they were peaceful

Only with one particular cluster of barnacles, he goes for my hand if it's too near as well 😞

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
22 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I never thought about a tailspot being territorial

"Blenny Fish are somewhat territorial in nature"

Source: https://www.liveaquaria.com/category/23/blennies?c=15+23&r=

24 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Yes, peaceful, but it may choose to defend its home.  I believe their "territory" is actually pretty small (like a burrow, cave, barnacle).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Blennies are territorial and can be badasses. I've seen my TSB throw off my blasto merletti frags because I glued them too close to his burrow. And my Starry blenny pitched a nass. snail once halfway across my tank because it came too close to where the blenny was hiding for the night. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 3
Just now, Snow_Phoenix said:

Blennies are territorial and can be badasses. I've seen my TSB throw off my blasto merletti frags because I glued them too close to his burrow. And my Starry blenny pitched a nass. snail once halfway across my tank because it came too close to where the blenny was hiding for the night. 

I've seen my TSB do that to hermits and snails. Pretty funny hearing their shells clink on the front glass. These barnacles look great but have bought in some interesting behaviour issues with them. Seeing my TSB with a hermit shell in it's mouth is hilarious as well. Does anyone else's also "clean house" by spitting sand?

It is fine with the Wrasse as she has yet to enter a barnacle but prefers to cruise around the pillar picking at pods. Opening up the central column may help more than just the clown as she now has more surface area to hunt?. 

Just the Clown (who hosts a separate cluster on other side of the tank shortly) and also the Red Headed Gobies get a small "token" chase but it doesn't show any real interest in those, just my poor Clown getting pasted. 

Back up plan is transfer the Clown to the 5.5G Cube at home, then move into 15G upgrade in next 6 months

Alternative plan is to find the runtiest runt in a brood of clowns and add that, not really wanting to do that this side of Christmas though

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

My bicolor blenny has two caves.  And while it might swim around the tank at times, it sleeps and hides in one of these two holes.  I've never seen mine act aggressive towards other fish, but they don't infringe on it's holes either.

• Like 6
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
18 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

That is so awesome omgomgomg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I went and traded through a few Midas blennies before I found one that was just mean but not a complete murderer. They can be extremely territorial and they grow fairly large.

I had one that would grab fish and shake them like a dog then spit them out.

• Like 2
  • Wow 3
11 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Brilliant, well seems like I need to pull the Clownfish then. Seems like the easiest solution. Or try and get it to host something else within the tank? Torch? Hammer? 

If you get another coral for the clown to host, be prepared to replace it regularly. I don't like clowns and I'm not afraid to say it. Clowns do the least damage in large tanks.

10 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

M had one that threw an Emerald crab off the rocks because it got too close to its hole. They're peaceful unless you encroach on their holes.

9 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I went and traded through a few Midas blennies before I found one that was just mean but not a complete murderer. They can be extremely territorial and they grow fairly large.

I had one that would grab fish and shake them like a dog then spit them out.

It was dosing them with venom to disorient them.

• Wow 5
12 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

If you get another coral for the clown to host, be prepared to replace it regularly. I don't like clowns and I'm not afraid to say it. Clowns do the least damage in large tanks.

M had one that threw an Emerald crab off the rocks because it got too close to its hole. They're peaceful unless you encroach on their holes.

Blennies are venomous???

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Midas Blenny was the topic tho...  (right?)

Originally Tailspot Blennies attacking my clown but hey all of this is interesting isn't it?

Didn't realise that Fang Blennies had Venom, that is pretty cool. Are they able to break human skin though? I know what i am like lol

So I set up the 5.5G Cube at home last night, it just needs biomedia, a rock and water. I could of course do this today after the planned water change (roughly 5 gallon change) also figured out why I couldn't upload anything from my phone (didn't pay the bill :blush:) to Instagram, so need to sort that out. 😄

I've fed the tank this morning to see where the fish were, my Tailspot has taken residence in the same cluster of barnacles that he originally did but is now at the far right rear corner of the tank and the clown in the far left corner at the front. Pheeeew.

The Red Head Gobies still dart around annoying everyone in the tank

I was planning a new addition today but this has made me reconsider 

6 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

For Clarity more than anything else. I do not plan on adding corals for specific fish. I was listing what I have in the tank already that I could try. Was thinking that I could try and get her to host away from the TSB to try and reduce the territorial aggression, was a backup plan that I would try prior to removing and rehoming

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Originally Tailspot Blennies attacking my clown but hey all of this is interesting isn't it?

Didn't realise that Fang Blennies had Venom, that is pretty cool. Are they able to break human skin though? I know what i am like lol

So I set up the 5.5G Cube at home last night, it just needs biomedia, a rock and water. I could of course do this today after the planned water change (roughly 5 gallon change) also figured out why I couldn't upload anything from my phone (didn't pay the bill :blush:) to Instagram, so need to sort that out. 😄

I've fed the tank this morning to see where the fish were, my Tailspot has taken residence in the same cluster of barnacles that he originally did but is now at the far right rear corner of the tank and the clown in the far left corner at the front. Pheeeew.

The Red Head Gobies still dart around annoying everyone in the tank

I was planning a new addition today but this has made me reconsider 

For Clarity more than anything else. I do not plan on adding corals for specific fish. I was listing what I have in the tank already that I could try. Was thinking that I could try and get her to host away from the TSB to try and reduce the territorial aggression, was a backup plan that I would try prior to removing and rehoming

Yes I got bit once picking one up thinking it died. I bled but it didn't hurt...he may not have injected me with any venom.

• Wow 4
6 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Yes I got bit once picking one up thinking it died. I bled but it didn't hurt...he may not have injected me with any venom.

Wow. Hmmm I have to say i am more than a little bit interested now..... Venomous Blennies and Paly's sounds fun!

Anyways, decided that I would up my CuC and also try a Couple of Lobo's, got this order added to my regular order (I have monthly subscription for Rotifers and Copepods.) Each week I get sent 4x 100ml packets (2x Rotifers, 2x Copepods) which I add to the tank,

I plan on reducing this to 2x 100ml weekly after Christamas as I should be able to better culture these at that point. 

I'm hoping that the Lobo's that I get are both a Dome and a Flat type, the WYSIWYG photo's seem to suggest this, but happy with the price and taking a punt on these as I have loved them for a while now

Lobo 8.jpg

Lobo 6.jpg

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
10 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

I mean, I guess if someone was trying to get close to my hole, i'd probably kick them too :lol:omgomgomg

• Haha 8
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Wow. Hmmm I have to say i am more than a little bit interested now..... Venomous Blennies and Paly's sounds fun!

Anyways, decided that I would up my CuC and also try a Couple of Lobo's, got this order added to my regular order (I have monthly subscription for Rotifers and Copepods.) Each week I get sent 4x 100ml packets (2x Rotifers, 2x Copepods) which I add to the tank,

I plan on reducing this to 2x 100ml weekly after Christamas as I should be able to better culture these at that point. 

I'm hoping that the Lobo's that I get are both a Dome and a Flat type, the WYSIWYG photo's seem to suggest this, but happy with the price and taking a punt on these as I have loved them for a while now

Lobo 8.jpg

Lobo 6.jpg

Nice :smilie:. I wanna place another order with algae barn once I figure out a little condo for my rear chamber. I want to try macros again, but I have to wait another month. This was the worst month for money... lots of dumb shit to pay. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Nice :smilie:. I wanna place another order with algae barn once I figure out a little condo for my rear chamber. I want to try macros again, but I have to wait another month. This was the worst month for money... lots of dumb shit to pay. 

I just tie wrapped a load of craft mesh together and dumped some rocks on it for my first attempt lol, the next was me adding craft mesh to my DIY media Rack, that works better. 

Oh got some Purple in a Bottle today, so started dosing that. Also borrowed a fish from a local guy. Cant get to some aiptasia so hoping this guys can help me out. 

20191025_123719.thumb.jpg.db1ddf5ac0b386a168d1a50ea3086bd2.jpg

Didn't trust the shrimp

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, Ratvan said:

I just tie wrapped a load of craft mesh together and dumped some rocks on it for my first attempt lol, the next was me adding craft mesh to my DIY media Rack, that works better. 

Oh got some Purple in a Bottle today, so started dosing that. Also borrowed a fish from a local guy. Cant get to some aiptasia so hoping this guys can help me out. 

20191025_123719.thumb.jpg.db1ddf5ac0b386a168d1a50ea3086bd2.jpg

Didn't trust the shrimp

oh nice file fish??

• Like 1
Just now, Ratvan said:

Yup, guy swore up and down this one doesn't nip corals so we shall see

Mine ate a RFA. Just be prepared to pull him out if he starts circling your corals (they typically go after zoas and LPS). 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Mine ate a RFA. Just be prepared to pull him out if he starts circling your corals (they typically go after zoas and LPS). 

I'm aware it's why I borrowed from a trustworthy reefer.

Collected this one from a 100g set up. Mostly LPS and Softies small amount of SPS in the tank. Fish takes pretty much all foods so hoping keeping it well fed helps. 

• Like 2