Cultivated Reef

Are these bad hitchhiker's on my live rock? Photos

DyloHeath

25 minutes ago, DyloHeath said:

I just pulled these off my live rock, a crab, and some shrimp looking thing. Are these ago for the tank ?

20190810_112326.jpg

20190810_112405.jpg

20190810_112415.jpg

20190810_112832.jpg

Not sure what type of crab....but it’s cute. It looks like the claws flatten out toward the tips which usually means it eats algae........ but you can never trust crab. It’s up to you. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Second pic is an amphipod....... good guy. 

• Like 1

Ditto. 

Put the crab in another system where he won't be able to pick on corals or catch fish -- they're totally cool to watch though!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Not sure what type of crab....but it’s cute. It looks like the claws flatten out toward the tips which usually means it eats algae........ but you can never trust crab. It’s up to you. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Second pic is an amphipod....... good guy. 

Thanks for the help!

1 minute ago, mcarroll said:

Ditto. 

Put the crab in another system where he won't be able to pick on corals or catch fish -- they're totally cool to watch though!

Will do! Thanks again!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

You'll want to Joe's Juice/Aiptasia X/Lemon Juice/Kalk Paste/something those aiptasia now before they spread.

Wait I need to get rid of them ? I could pick up the rock and kill them

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, DyloHeath said:

Wait I need to get rid of them ? I could pick up the rock and kill them

I did some research on them and realised physically destroying them can make them spread faster.

I went with lemon juice and that seemed to do the trick!

• Like 3
On 8/10/2019 at 5:36 PM, DyloHeath said:

I did some research on them and realised physically destroying them can make them spread faster.

I went with lemon juice and that seemed to do the trick!

Want someones opinion.

I've been reading more about aiptasia and have come to realize how much of a pest it can be (spreads easily and is poisonous)

I've read that peppermint shrimp will eat the aiptasia, should I grab some of the shrimp to take care of the problem in case I missed any?

Up to you and whether you want peppermint shrimp in the tank. 😉  They are not a guaranteed solution.

There's no need to rush and get them anyway...may as well play wait and see/take your time.  If there's more, you can hit em with the same thing you hit em with this time.  Persistence wins.

If it still seems like you need help later on, then maybe consider a shrimp or fish to help control them.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, DyloHeath said:

Want someones opinion.

I've been reading more about aiptasia and have come to realize how much of a pest it can be (spreads easily and is poisonous)

I've read that peppermint shrimp will eat the aiptasia, should I grab some of the shrimp to take care of the problem in case I missed any?

If you have one or two I wouldn't bother with the Shrimp, maybe see if anyone wants the Aiptasia from you? I know a few people are looking at setting up a pest tank (I am as well but in England) @EthanPhillyCheesesteak, @TatorTaco

I personally really like them, however easy ways to remove them is to remove the rock from the tank and use the above methods or fire to kill it.  

Here is mine now

20190812_095702.thumb.jpg.995db6fdfd90174d93120d9e7dbbbc84.jpg20190812_095741.thumb.jpg.6a6a5127b9db414fb0f531cec19ae243.jpg

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Up to you and whether you want peppermint shrimp in the tank. 😉  They are not a guaranteed solution.

There's no need to rush and get them anyway...may as well play wait and see/take your time.  If there's more, you can hit em with the same thing you hit em with this time.  Persistence wins.

If it still seems like you need help later on, then maybe consider a shrimp or fish to help control them.

Good idea, I like good old common sense.

Cheers.

21 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

If you have one or two I wouldn't bother with the Shrimp, maybe see if anyone wants the Aiptasia from you? I know a few people are looking at setting up a pest tank (I am as well but in England) @EthanPhillyCheesesteak, @TatorTaco

I personally really like them, however easy ways to remove them is to remove the rock from the tank and use the above methods or fire to kill it.  

Here is mine now

20190812_095702.thumb.jpg.995db6fdfd90174d93120d9e7dbbbc84.jpg20190812_095741.thumb.jpg.6a6a5127b9db414fb0f531cec19ae243.jpg

People want pest tanks??

I thought removing it can cause it to spread faster if you miss any, is this true?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DyloHeath said:

People want pest tanks??

I thought removing it can cause it to spread faster if you miss any, is this true?

Yes some of us do, I have a large collection of pests in little 0.5G Coffee Jars dotted around my desk waiting for enough to start up a little 2.5G tank with them inside. I think they look pretty.

Yes these propagate easily if you miss any, best thing to do if you have one or two on a rock you can remove. Tank the rock out the tank, inject boiling water, lemon juice, kill with lighter or laser and cover the area with superglue  

23 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Yes some of us do, I have a large collection of pests in little 0.5G Coffee Jars dotted around my desk waiting for enough to start up a little 2.5G tank with them inside. I think they look pretty.

Yes these propagate easily if you miss any, best thing to do if you have one or two on a rock you can remove. Tank the rock out the tank, inject boiling water, lemon juice, kill with lighter or laser and cover the area with superglue  

I actually thought they were pretty too, hence why i picked them lol.

I'll do my best to get rid of them with your suggestions.

1 minute ago, DyloHeath said:

I found something else on the live rock, looks like black algae of some sort.

Good or bad ? And solution ?

20190812_201440.jpg

20190812_201414.jpg

20190812_201421.jpg

20190812_201350.jpg

Looks like a sponge to me, I had all sorts in my tank when it started. They seem to be harmless and gradually disappear over time. They're filter feeders but can potentially encrust over other corals 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

If you are looking for a home for the crab, I will gladly take him off your hands if you want. I’ll even pay you for him. I’ll give you like 10 or 15 bucks for him.

I already have one aptasia that is in my main tank, and I’m trying to figure out how to transfer him to my pest tank without killing him. 

1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

If you are looking for a home for the crab, I will gladly take him off your hands if you want. I’ll even pay you for him. I’ll give you like 10 or 15 bucks for him.

I already have one aptasia that is in my main tank, and I’m trying to figure out how to transfer him to my pest tank without killing him. 

One trick that worked for me in the past was to use half a mussel shell (cook the mussel, take it out of its shell and eat it if you like them...I dont lol) then separate the shells and make a small hole in the middle of the shell. Then place the shell on top of the aptasia and secure the shell to make sure it holds and covers the aptasia. Now wait and hopefully it will go through the hole and will sit on top of the shell because it'll want some light. Then take the shell out and voilà you can put the aptasia in your pest tank😁

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
28 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

One trick that worked for me in the past was to use half a mussel shell (cook the mussel, take it out of its shell and eat it if you like them...I dont lol) then separate the shells and make a small hole in the middle of the shell. Then place the shell on top of the aptasia and secure the shell to make sure it holds and covers the aptasia. Now wait and hopefully it will go through the hole and will sit on top of the shell because it'll want some light. Then take the shell out and voilà you can put the aptasia in your pest tank😁

That’s smart, is there an easier way? Or is that the easiest?😂

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I'd give him to you but I live in Australia do it's a little harder 

• Haha 2
21 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

That’s smart, is there an easier way? Or is that the easiest?😂

Well considering my laziness and not wanting to mess with rocks it is the easiest...hard part is to ask the store for 1 mussel...seeing how 1 bag would last me a lifetime lol 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
6 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

Well considering my laziness and not wanting to mess with rocks it is the easiest...hard part is to ask the store for 1 mussel...seeing how 1 bag would last me a lifetime lol 

I don’t hate mussels, they just aren’t my favorite, so I could try this strategy. The aptasia has already almost doubled in size since 2 weeks ago