Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TheKingInYellows 50g custom blackout bare bottom

TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

Got the rest of the priming done on the stand and wall for the mixing area.  Put up a board to mount the RO/DI and power center as well.

I need to get on plumbing it all but I've got some other projects that will chew up some time this week.

• Like 1
TheKingInYellow

I've made this as waterproof an area as I can with several coats of primer on the wall behind as well:

JhfbjeR.jpg

And I realize I screwed up a bit, I drilled on the side of the brute without the handle but I measured everything with the handles facing out, so they don't sit nicely side by side anymore.

Might have to rotate one or something but I just made my plumbing more difficult.

27 minutes ago, TheKingInYellow said:

I've made this as waterproof an area as I can with several coats of primer on the wall behind as well:

JhfbjeR.jpg

And I realize I screwed up a bit, I drilled on the side of the brute without the handle but I measured everything with the handles facing out, so they don't sit nicely side by side anymore.

Might have to rotate one or something but I just made my plumbing more difficult.

Could you elevate one to the point the handles are stacked? 

You also have the benefit of gravity on your side now when it comes to mixing? 

Not sure

TheKingInYellow

I was actually wondering if I can just cut the handles off.  Doubt they are structural and I'll never carry them when they are full anyhow.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TheKingInYellow said:

I was actually wondering if I can just cut the handles off.  Doubt they are structural and I'll never carry them when they are full anyhow.

Oh just do that silly! 

6 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Buy another brute bin? 

18 bucks tho hahah

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, TheKingInYellow said:

Perfect solution!!

2 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

Oh just do that silly! 

18 bucks tho hahah

lol, 36 bucks is nothing compared to the head ache of plumbing 45's,90's elbows 😆 I hate plumbing!!

19 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Perfect solution!!

lol, 36 bucks is nothing compared to the head ache of plumbing 45's,90's elbows 😆 I hate plumbing!!

True. I have an AIO tho so I don't plumb 😂 I just throw shit back there and it does good stuff for my tank or something 

• Haha 2
TheKingInYellow

So you think I'm good for lights on a 36x18x18 with a Prime and a Prime HD?

There are some like new Hydra 26 HDs up in the classifieds.  I want to go heavy SPS with some Zoas and LPS as well...  Debating moving up.

• Like 1

Or buy two 26’s or 3 if possible and sell both primes. 

Two 26’s would be enough coverage, three would be awesome. Maybe you can get a bulk discount 🙂

1 hour ago, TheKingInYellow said:

So you think I'm good for lights on a 36x18x18 with a Prime and a Prime HD?

There are some like new Hydra 26 HDs up in the classifieds.  I want to go heavy SPS with some Zoas and LPS as well...  Debating moving up.

If you're doing sticks I would HIGHLY recommend supplementing the primes with some t5s. Leds are very direct and you'll see shadowing in the sticks but if you had t5s the way the light reflects and bounces around you fill in the "gaps"

• Like 1
TheKingInYellow

Funny how things go forwards and backwards in this hobby.

First it was MH, then MH with VHO Actinics, then T5HO, then LED, now T5HO again.   Pretty soon, everyone will be reverting to power compacts.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

If you're doing sticks I would HIGHLY recommend supplementing the primes with some t5s. Leds are very direct and you'll see shadowing in the sticks but if you had t5s the way the light reflects and bounces around you fill in the "gaps"

1 minute ago, TheKingInYellow said:

Funny how things go forwards and backwards in this hobby.

First it was MH, then MH with VHO Actinics, then T5HO, then LED, now T5HO again.   Pretty soon, everyone will be reverting to power compacts.

😂

I'm doing MH/T5/LED combo light on my 40G.  I love metal halides and nothing beats 400 watt radiums lol. 

3 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

😂

I'm doing MH/T5/LED combo light on my 40G.  I love metal halides and nothing beats 400 watt radiums lol. 

The electric bill ain't wort it haha

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

The electric bill ain't wort it haha

Lol, people say that but when you run them for 2-3 hours through the day, its not an issue.  Both 400's on my 300 gallon would come on at 12-1 and then 4-6. Didn't even make a noticeable difference in electric bill.  Plus you don't want to run your halides longer than 4 hours a day anyways, at least I never have. 

LED- All day dusk to dawn with moon lights.

T5- 11-3 and 5-7   6hrs total T5

MH- 12-1 and 4-6 3hrs total MH

• Like 1
TheKingInYellow

So the whole frame will be assembled with a Dowelmax doweling jig which should keep everything nice and square and ridiculously strong.

Ideally my other projects will be done in the next day or two leaving me a few nights and most of Sunday to get it assembled and primed.  I'd like to have all the outdoor work done before the heat and humidity ramps up.  Winnipeg is a winter city but we hit the high thirties Celsius in the summer as well.  Plumbing the water mixing will take a back seat to the stand for now.

• Like 2
TheKingInYellow

As I'm reading this morning I realize I have another issue.  I have an Apex Classic, and the sticking with the AI Prime/Prime HD won't work since the Apex IoTA implementation requires a current version of the Apex (2016) or ApexEL.  FFFFFFFFFUUUUU....

So maybe a pair of Kessils instead?  160s or 360s?  I can use the onboard VDM on the Apex with any 0-10vdc controllable light but I would like to have some spectrum control as well.  This kinda sucks.

Lighting discussion here:

• Like 1
  • Wow 1