Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TheKingInYellows 50g custom blackout bare bottom

TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

We'll see how high quality it is when I go to skin it.  Any imperfections will show up quite readily once you try attaching perfectly square and level sheet goods!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, TheKingInYellow said:

We'll see how high quality it is when I go to skin it.  Any imperfections will show up quite readily once you try attaching perfectly square and level sheet goods!

Laminate instead of stain? 

TheKingInYellow

Actually picked up the sheet stock today.  Opted for MDO since it has good water resistance but the MDF facing takes paint well.

cl097et.jpg

Many drillings later the final assembly was ready to dry fit.

eocgDY2.jpg

Ignore the incorrect holes in the top left leg there.  That was, uh, creative alternate drilling.

Finally got the frame all glued up and clamped.

WpSJ8yM.jpg

• Like 4
TheKingInYellow

Big day.  Skinned the stand.

First had to check for square:

vf7bkkz.jpg

BOOM!

bNxuoQk.jpg

DOUBLE BOOM!

Started cutting the MDO, and laid in the bottom shelf and side panels.  There was a bit of a crown on the lower supports so hit them with the ROS until it sat nicely.  Panels are just screwed so that they can be replaced if necessary.  I used some leftover 1 & 5/8ths #8 Decking screws which should be basically impervious to water.

i6HyGfB.jpg

The face frame was made from the large panel cutoffs and aligned with the dowel jig.

W2VdeVk.jpg

JSFPNIf.jpg

The face frame was glued but not clamped since screwing it to the frame will ensure it doesn't move.

Lugged it up onto my tablesaw since it's the flattest surface in my garage.  I really, really need a build a workbench.

o9duxMa.jpg

Screwed the top on after checking the supporting frame for crowning, but it was all good.  Everything is dead flat.

a5SprYd.jpg

If you look closely there is a gap at the top and bottom of the side and face panels.  This is so the stand will sit only on the frame and the top won't apply any weight to the ply as well.  The ply is plenty strong but I want all the weight sitting on the 2x4 frame only.  I'll add moulding top and bottom to cover the gap and pretty up the stand.

Next steps, wood filler, sanding and painting.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
TheKingInYellow

Took the kids to home Depot to let them pick the paint and trim for the stand.  Let's just say that between the two of them, they have some interesting design concepts.

The stand will be painted midnight Blue, which I'm good with, and they picked three trims.  Left to right this is the base trim, crown trim, and door panel trim:

RRvDiI6.jpg

This should be interesting...

7 minutes ago, TheKingInYellow said:

Took the kids to home Depot to let them pick the paint and trim for the stand.  Let's just say that between the two of them, they have some interesting design concepts.

The stand will be painted midnight Blue, which I'm good with, and they picked three trims.  Left to right this is the base trim, crown trim, and door panel trim:

RRvDiI6.jpg

This should be interesting...

Good for you but at the same time I'd be like "ya but you really like this one huh" 😂 and get the trim and color you wanted haha

TheKingInYellow

I tell you, 3D printers rock.  I have to sand this wood filler but wanted to move the stand into the basement so that the paint and filler would cure nicely, so now I have to sand indoors.

I have a good Bosch ROS but the fittings for dust collection are all wierd and German and I couldn't find the right adaptor to hook it up my shop vac which I really want to use if I'm sanding inside.  So, just print one.

20190627_154737.jpg

• Like 2
TheKingInYellow

Trim is on and two coats of primer.  Don't look too close at the lower trim. There were... Issues.

20190628_171508.jpg

• Like 3
TheKingInYellow

Watching the Canada Day sales and I ordered my skimmer today.  Went with the Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite.

• Like 2
TheKingInYellow

First coat of paint on the stand and I've layed out and glued up the accent details on the front panel. The front panel will get sets of drawer pulls to look something like a chest of drawers.  The interior will stay primer white for easy cleaning and better light reflection while working inside the stand.

6rgYBsx.jpg

Considering a second paint color for the 'drawer' part of the front, maybe a pale gray?

sYYHEHz.jpg

Getting close to done this part of the build finally.

TheKingInYellow

Can't really stain this surface, did pick up a pale gray paint though, which will be going on tonight hopefully.

• Like 1
TheKingInYellow

First thing first I made a template with scrap MDF to mark out my mounting hardware locations and then laid out the hardware on the front panel.

uDp1xg3l.jpg

The mounting hardware consists of a frame and a button.  The button is mounted to the front panel.

F1XVKbSl.jpg

Laid out the panel on the stand and transferred the template marks.

scU4bH5l.jpg

Add the handles and the everything now snaps into place.  The stand is finally complete!

w06sP6al.jpg

Needs a little paint touchup here and there but I'm happy.

• Like 5
TheKingInYellow

Moving back to getting my RO/DI and saltwater mixing up and running now that the stand is complete.

Plumbing is done on the mixing tank:

https://i.imgur.com/Tldx2HFl.jpg

And internally:

https://i.imgur.com/QMGuMpBl.jpg

Only downside is that this pump is ridiculously overrated and doesn't push anything close to 500gph.  Thirty dollar Amazon pump, you suck.

I'll either cap off one of the ends on the split pipe or maybe see if I can find some eductors to increase water movement.

Moving back to getting my RO/DI and saltwater mixing up and running now that the stand is complete.

Plumbing is done on the mixing tank:

Tldx2HFl.jpg

And internally:

QMGuMpBl.jpg

Only downside is that this pump is ridiculously overrated and doesn't push anything close to 500gph.  Thirty dollar Amazon pump, you suck.

I'll either cap off one of the ends on the split pipe or maybe see if I can find some eductors to increase water movement.

TheKingInYellow

So as I'm drilling to hang the RO unit in the wall I apparently knocked the RO membrane housing off the table and it fell on one of the fittings, snapping it clean off inside the housing...

I can't find anyone in town that sells the housing separately so now I'm waiting for Amazon to deliver it Friday.  Not sure I'll get this Rock cooking before we leave for vacation 😕

• Sad 1
TheKingInYellow

I figure since I can't do much else tonight without RO water I might as well do a test aquascape.

Cut out a cardboard template of the tank including the overflow and laid out what I think should be a decent scape.  Highest rock is about 13" so it should have 4" or so of water above it to allow growth.

Thoughts?

20190703_203150.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
4 minutes ago, TheKingInYellow said:

I figure since I can't do much else tonight without RO water I might as well do a test aquascape.

Cut out a cardboard template of the tank including the overflow and laid out what I think should be a decent scape.  Highest rock is about 13" so it should have 4" or so of water above it to allow growth.

Thoughts?

20190703_203150.jpg

Looks good to me. You can always take a center rock break it into two and place on sandbed for zoas and such. Granted I believe this tank will be a extreme high flow and low nutrients haha

TheKingInYellow

Managed to drill out the check valve in the broken fitting, turned out the rest with a screwdriver, and I am making water!

• Like 1