Jump to content
Snow_Phoenix

Snow's 60G Marine Megano

Recommended Posts

Amphrites

A cheap pump to save your back seems like a pretty great deal to me, also every shot of that sump convinces me that it's darn-near perfect lol. A skimmer *might* offer some help, but they're not necessary, in fact it might actually hinder some of the anaerobic-activity you're likely getting in all that rock.

 

I can definitely relate to issues with physical aspects of maintenance, I'm guessing it's your shoulders which gave/give you trouble? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix
12 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

I recommend a medium sized pump and tube for WCs - especially if you're not trying to reinstigate things - and it's quick. That's super frustrating about the hermit - I saw micro hermits at ipsf.com - halloweens are fun of course. Haven't had to deal with deconstructive crabs myself - but I almost pour the super glue over the frags/rocks lol - I immediately drip SW on it with a pipette to control it - have you tried using more glue? I really like the basket in the 'fuge to keep the chaeto near the light - I'm curious though if it's not possible to mount the light in there to the back panel? Also is water exchanged ambiently/aided w/the powerhead?

 

11 hours ago, Amphrites said:

A cheap pump to save your back seems like a pretty great deal to me, also every shot of that sump convinces me that it's darn-near perfect lol. A skimmer *might* offer some help, but they're not necessary, in fact it might actually hinder some of the anaerobic-activity you're likely getting in all that rock.

 

I can definitely relate to issues with physical aspects of maintenance, I'm guessing it's your shoulders which gave/give you trouble? 

Hey guys, I actually do have a medium-sized pump and short rubber hose (I cut it off from a 10m long hose) which I use for WCs. Problem is, my pump wasn't working this time. I didn't check it before using it - so I had to use the bucket-method to fill the tank back up again. Now here's the oddest thing - two days after doing my WC, I took apart the pump, cleaned it out, put it back together and dried it outside. And I tested it - and it worked!!! :sideeyes:

So I won't need to get a new pump, will still be using this one. 🙂 

And the mini wavemaker is in there to prevent a buildup of dirt on the rocks - if you zoom in on the other compartments, you can see a thin layer of crud at the bottom. The water flow in the sump is actually strong even without the wavemaker - but the added flow is just to cover any dead spots near the LR pieces. I have tried using a LOT of glue, but the silly crab(s) will keep picking at it no matter how much glue I slather at the bottom of the frags. I can't mount the light to the back panel - the sump glass is positioned against the cabinet with no gaps in between the two. The cabinet does have an 'open space' at the back, but the wood is too thick for me to attach the light to. 

 

My neck and lower back strains more quickly than my shoulders, actually. But my surgeries were for my underarms - I lost a lot of flesh in the left underarm, and it did leave me with a nasty patchwork of scars. I notice there's a 'depression' of sorts in my left underarm, where the muscle sort of 'sinks in' - not sure how to explain it. Whatever it is, my left arm is weaker than my right, and both arms are not as strong as they were prior to the surgeries. My sister suggested I start lifting weights - my forearms are okay, and I *think I can heft a max. of ~5kg using both arms, but can't go beyond that. 😕 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Wonderboy

That's a little frustrating that the pump was being tempormental, glad it's working for next time. I figured that the sump was flush to the cabinet, so that's exactly where the light needs to be then lol  :]   Your surgeries sound very not fun to work around, I'm very sorry. Some mild lifting with a lot of consistency is definitely best for rebuilding muscle - wishing the best for you

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix
1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

That's a little frustrating that the pump was being tempormental, glad it's working for next time. I figured that the sump was flush to the cabinet, so that's exactly where the light needs to be then lol  :]   Your surgeries sound very not fun to work around, I'm very sorry. Some mild lifting with a lot of consistency is definitely best for rebuilding muscle - wishing the best for you

Thank you, Wonderboy. It definitely wasn't fun by any means but at least I'm improving now. 

 

I'll check the pump next time before I do a WC. If it doesn't work again, I'll try to get a spare pump just in case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix

Thanos was having a very good day today - he's easily the chunkiest fish I've ever owned, and has a big personality to match up to his size:

 

 

 

Goblin turns a year-old in my reef in 5 days! :wub:

 

And here's Gary and Lola having a siesta:

 

Fish-wise, all fish are doing well and eating well. Someone (*ahem) left a giant pile of poop on my cynarina today morning :sideeyes: - the bet is between the clownfish or my yellow coris. 

As for corals, I'm having a few issues with a few specific corals. 

 

1. My green goni - it keeps getting stung by my frogspawn no matter how further away I have glued it from the tentacles of doom. Half of the frag is retracted with a bit of white skeleton showing, so I'm thinking of uprooting it and regluing it to my centerpiece rock, away from my chalice and cyphastrea.

 

2. GSP - my urchin *stole half of it. As in the sneaky bugger literally ripped off half the mat and turned it into a hat. And when he was fed up with it, he dumped the remnants of the coral at God-knows-where. :sideeyes:

 

3. Red Pavona - half of this SPS was stung very badly by my blue hairy shroom (I have one, positioned at the very back of the tank - you can only catch a glimpse of it through a topshot) and 20% of it STNed, so I reglued it away from the shroom. I tried breaking off the dead-half, but then I saw a bit of red on it, so I thought maybe - just maybe, given time, that part could come back.

 

4. Weeping Willow Toadstool - entirely my fault. I removed it from the frag plug and tried slotting it into a crevice in the LR in hopes it'd grow better, but its been moody as hell since then, and has ultra-stubby polyps to show for it.

 

5. Orange toadstool leather - my urchin toted this one around and dumped it in the sandbed - I only found it yesterday, by which end it was so tiny and shriveled that I don't think it's going to make it. :tears:

 

^So those are the coral issues I'm currently facing. The rest of the corals are doing fine though, and the chalices are growing slowly, but steadily. I observed Miko the TSB take a few 'pecks' out of my red zoas, but he was mostly foraging for microalgae on the rocks, so I don't fault him for it. The zoas were a *bit irritated, but otherwise they're still popping out new heads.

 

I'm planning on heading down to the LFS this Sat. to pick up more shroom frags. *Maybe another softie as well. We'll see. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
kimdawg

I am sorry you have issues with strength in your arms.  I have the same issue in one arm.  It won't lift anything over about a pound and won't move above 90 degree angle.  Your tanks are always beautiful and seem to bring you a lot of joy.  My contest brings me a lot of happiness but I feel like the 75 is just in limbo a lot of the time.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
mcarroll
On 9/24/2019 at 12:38 AM, Snow_Phoenix said:

Here's how my sump looks like

The chaeto is what's throwing you off I think....no need for it in a low-nutrient system like yours.  

 

In fact, it's ability to drink nutrients "like water" (ba-dum-dum!) can cause real problems for corals in that kind of situation if it goes too far.  

 

You are literally fighting to raise nutrients against the thing you put into the tank to control nutrients.  Creating the problem and solving the problem....that's just too circular. 😉  Get rid of it (my vote) or keep it trimmed to a tiny size like a golf ball or smaller until you actually need it in there.   🙂 

 

On 9/24/2019 at 12:38 AM, Snow_Phoenix said:

But it takes me 2+ hours to do a large WC, which is why I do it sparingly as well. (My arms are quite weak due to several previous surgeries, so lifting buckets of SW takes time)

On 9/24/2019 at 11:53 AM, Wonderboy said:

I recommend a medium sized pump and tube for WCs

Agreed.  Lifting (8.5 pounds per gallon * 5 gallons = ) 42.5 gallon buckets off the ground is for the birds even if you're fully-abled.

 

A pump or two and a length of hose to reach your drain is the ticket if you're not going to automate completely.  (Which is a little more complicated, but also a great idea.)  

 

Obviously a larger pump will do your water changes faster, but I pretty much stick with something in the 200-300 GPH range.  Nothing wrong with more or less GPH if you want though.

 

I got a 50 foot hose from my LFS by special order....a whole box of 3/4" hose....DO NOT skimp, get what you need to make it easy.  

 

I used two pumps, one on each end of the hose, and a remote-control system made for christmas lights so could minimize any EXTRA back-and-forths turning pumps off and on.  I like to be able to stop a flood wirelessly, from anywhere!  😄 

  • Pump #1 is in the tank or sump and turned on to drain water into the waste water bucket or sink (where pump #2 is sitting idle, anchoring the hose down).  It's turned off when enough water has been removed from the display.
  • Then pump #2 is moved to the fresh saltwater vat and turned on to re-fill the tank.  

An EASY PEASY way to do water changes.

 

Un-/re-coiling the hose becomes the hard part (but isn't heavy)...so while you aren't skimping, don't get too much hose either....or trim it to the correct length if you do.  

 

Depending on your strength level, there are light(er) hose options too....standard gauge 3/4" is optimal for flow, and isn't THAT heavy...but it's not feather light either.  

 

There is thin-wall 3/4" that might be as little as half the weight...or even 1/2" tubing if you don't mind the extra time to transfer water through it.  Might have to shop around to find just the right thing or special order something like I did though.  See what your LFS carries and what it can get you first.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix
50 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

I am sorry you have issues with strength in your arms.  I have the same issue in one arm.  It won't lift anything over about a pound and won't move above 90 degree angle.  Your tanks are always beautiful and seem to bring you a lot of joy.  My contest brings me a lot of happiness but I feel like the 75 is just in limbo a lot of the time.

Thanks for the compliment, @kimdawg. I had an opposite issue - my Pico started off really well, and then I had a nasty flatworm issue that just didn't stop. It was stressing me out quite badly - so much so that I ended up neglecting the little tank. 😞 So I tore it down, and re-set it up as a betta tank.

 

My 60G gives me a lot of joy. It does have its issues - algae (like this persistent green film that I keep getting) is one of them, and I also have two aiptasia to kill. I actually bought a lemon from the store yesterday - my mother was shopping with me and asked me why I was only getting one - she thought I was going to bake a lemon cake lol. Once I nuke those two pest nems, and find a better way to deal with the algae, then I guess the tank should be alright. Otherwise, it's pretty much on autopilot. I don't mess with it - just maintain it. 🙂

 

7 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

The chaeto is what's throwing you off I think....no need for it in a low-nutrient system like yours.  

 

In fact, it's ability to drink nutrients "like water" (ba-dum-dum!) can cause real problems for corals in that kind of situation if it goes too far.  

 

You are literally fighting to raise nutrients against the thing you put into the tank to control nutrients.  Creating the problem and solving the problem....that's just too circular. 😉  Get rid of it (my vote) or keep it trimmed to a tiny size like a golf ball or smaller until you actually need it in there.   🙂 

 

Agreed.  Lifting (8.5 pounds per gallon * 5 gallons = ) 42.5 gallon buckets off the ground is for the birds even if you're fully-abled.

 

A pump or two and a length of hose to reach your drain is the ticket if you're not going to automate completely.  (Which is a little more complicated, but also a great idea.)  

 

Obviously a larger pump will do your water changes faster, but I pretty much stick with something in the 200-300 GPH range.  Nothing wrong with more or less GPH if you want though.

 

I got a 50 foot hose from my LFS by special order....a whole box of 3/4" hose....DO NOT skimp, get what you need to make it easy.  

 

I used two pumps, one on each end of the hose, and a remote-control system made for christmas lights so could minimize any EXTRA back-and-forths turning pumps off and on.  I like to be able to stop a flood wirelessly, from anywhere!  😄 

  • Pump #1 is in the tank or sump and turned on to drain water into the waste water bucket or sink (where pump #2 is sitting idle, anchoring the hose down).  It's turned off when enough water has been removed from the display.
  • Then pump #2 is moved to the fresh saltwater vat and turned on to re-fill the tank.  

An EASY PEASY way to do water changes.

 

Un-/re-coiling the hose becomes the hard part (but isn't heavy)...so while you aren't skimping, don't get too much hose either....or trim it to the correct length if you do.  

 

Depending on your strength level, there are light(er) hose options too....standard gauge 3/4" is optimal for flow, and isn't THAT heavy...but it's not feather light either.  

 

There is thin-wall 3/4" that might be as little as half the weight...or even 1/2" tubing if you don't mind the extra time to transfer water through it.  Might have to shop around to find just the right thing or special order something like I did though.  See what your LFS carries and what it can get you first.

Actually - that's not chaeto, it's a huge wad of fern caulerpa (it's difficult to tell from a distance in a pic) that's clumped together. It's very dense - I honestly thought my system was the high-nutrient type because I have a lot of fish (10, I believe). I assumed more fish = more nutrients = happier LPS & softies? 🤔

Correct me if I'm wrong here - still am learning about how to keep everything in 'balance'. The film algae I get can be bothersome - but my seastars, urchins and snail feed off it. Even my Starry Blenny takes a few 'pecks' out of the back wall, which has some fuzzy brown algae, which is why I left it. (I thought that by providing a more natural food source for the animals, they'll live longer and be healthier - again, correct me if I'm wrong on this)

 

Thank you so much for sharing how you do your WCs with the pumps! I'm always looking out for ideas on how to WC larger tanks with less physical work. It sounds lazy, but I genuinely don't fancy the backaches or neck strains I get after each WC. I do have a very long orange rubber hose (the standard garden variety - I *think it's 3/4" in diameter) which is around 10m long. I cut off a small section (maybe 3' to 4') of it. The small section will be connected to a pump in a bucket of freshly made SW and be automatically pumped back into the DT.

 

As for the WC itself, I attach my gravel pump to the 10m long rubber hose, which drains directly into the bathroom drainage hole near the shower area. So any dirt/fish poop I pump out drains immediately back into the plumbing - and I usually wash the bathroom after every WC with soap and chlorox. (to kill any germs, just in case).

 

So getting rid of the water from the DT is easy - the challenge only comes when I have to pump back in new SW into the tank. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
mcarroll
2 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Actually - that's not chaeto, it's a huge wad of fern caulerpa (it's difficult to tell from a distance in a pic) that's clumped together. It's very dense - I honestly thought my system was the high-nutrient type because I have a lot of fish (10, I believe). I assumed more fish = more nutrients = happier LPS & softies? 🤔

Caulerpa is rare these days!  🙂  It's pretty similar in demand to chaeto....another fast-growing macro algae.  

 

I'd almost surely remove that as all Caulerpa's have potentially problematic behaviors like the ability to root and to "go sexual" that chaeto does not demonstrate....if you end up needing macro algae later, replace it with chaeto.

 

And yes, your corals (and your in-tank algae eaters, including the Blenny) should be much happier when more nutrients are freed up for them by taking the macro-algae out of the picture.

 

7 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here - still am learning about how to keep everything in 'balance'. The film algae I get can be bothersome - but my seastars, urchins and snail feed off it. Even my Starry Blenny takes a few 'pecks' out of the back wall, which has some fuzzy brown algae, which is why I left it. (I thought that by providing a more natural food source for the animals, they'll live longer and be healthier - again, correct me if I'm wrong on this)

Your tank "should" move on from film algaes to hair algae and then coraline algae....did you already see these transitions and you're just still getting film algae (too)?  

 

Or is film algae still all that grows?

 

10 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I do have a very long orange rubber hose (the standard garden variety - I *think it's 3/4" in diameter) which is around 10m long.

Hm, like this?

image.png.fe26a21f097127a5ab5e7a60a0cd42ba.png

Garden hoses are usually natural rubber or PVC/vinyl....all of which will be likely to have reef-unfriendly chemical additives to make the plastic survive outside in the sunlight where they usually do their work.  

 

For this reason use something from your LFS specified for aquariums or be sure to specify food-grade vinyl if you buy elsewhere.

 

Like this (what I have):

15022
 

Aquarium Tubing, Clear, 3/4" x 50'

16 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

and I usually wash the bathroom after every WC with soap and chlorox. (to kill any germs, just in case).

(FYI the transition from saltwater-to-air-to-freshwater will kill almost anything....don't go too overboard with the cleaners. 😉)  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix
10 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Caulerpa is rare these days!  🙂  It's pretty similar in demand to chaeto....another fast-growing macro algae.  

 

I'd almost surely remove that as all Caulerpa's have potentially problematic behaviors like the ability to root and to "go sexual" that chaeto does not demonstrate....if you end up needing macro algae later, replace it with chaeto.

 

And yes, your corals (and your in-tank algae eaters, including the Blenny) should be much happier when more nutrients are freed up for them by taking the macro-algae out of the picture.

 

 

I think I faced issues when using Grape Caulerpa. Fern Caulerpa seems to be a *bit more stable than grape. I love Halimeda and Galaxaura though - especially Galaxaura. I've been trying to get a clump for the past few years without much success. Sometimes my LFS will give me a small clipping, but the macro usually doesn't survive when it's clipped off like that. I'll prune the Fern Caulerpa and put some in my nano then. That system doesn't have any macro in it so far - and it is suffering from an algae outbreak (BHA), so maybe (?) it'll help there? 🤔

11 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

 

Your tank "should" move on from film algaes to hair algae and then coraline algae....did you already see these transitions and you're just still getting film algae (too)?  

 

Or is film algae still all that grows?

 

 

The strange thing is my tank has a mixture of algae - certain patches of the sandbed or certain rock pieces have film algae (brown/green), and some of the rocks at the back has a fuzzy grayish-algae (this type is what my starfish eats - which is why I'm trying not to get rid of it), the back wall has a fuzzy brownish algae (this is what my blenny, urchin, snail and starfish eats - so I scrape off part of it during each maintenance routine, but leave it be otherwise) and I do have some very nice coralline on several rock pieces - it's pinkish-purple. I tried scraping it off in the beginning because I mistook it for cyano, but nope - it's hard and it has been growing to cover my rocks along the left side and back of the tank. 

 

So I have a few mixes going on. I know, it sounds weird. :sad:

(No GHA thankfully! - sometimes, I will get GHA or turf algae hitchhike on new coral frags, but I sneakily put my urchin on the frag and he finishes it off within half a day) :ninja:

11 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Hm, like this?

image.png.fe26a21f097127a5ab5e7a60a0cd42ba.png

Garden hoses are usually natural rubber or PVC/vinyl....all of which will be likely to have reef-unfriendly chemical additives to make the plastic survive outside in the sunlight where they usually do their work.  

 

For this reason use something from your LFS specified for aquariums or be sure to specify food-grade vinyl if you buy elsewhere.

 

Like this (what I have):

15022
 

Aquarium Tubing, Clear, 3/4" x 50'

(FYI the transition from saltwater-to-air-to-freshwater will kill almost anything....don't go too overboard with the cleaners. 😉)  

Yep! That's the one I use - the orange one, I mean. I've been trying to get a hold of the one you have for the past several weeks without success. My LFS doesn't sell it - but they told me to try sourcing it out a hardware store. I tried, and so far no luck. Might have to look out for those giant warehouse-type-of-hardware-stores though. 

 

I do clean the hose with vinegar and plenty of water after each use - and then I leave it to dry under the shade, coil it up and store it away before the next time I need to WC. So far, I've been using this hose for both my SW and FW tanks without any issue. 

 

But I'll definitely keep looking for the clear-tubing-hose. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
mcarroll
13 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I love Halimeda and Galaxaura though - especially Galaxaura. I've been trying to get a clump for the past few years without much success. Sometimes my LFS will give me a small clipping, but the macro usually doesn't survive when it's clipped off like that.

Some of those could be a LOT more dependent on available nutrients than more aggressive, faster-growing algae like chaeto or caulerpa.

 

Give them a try AFTER you ditch the Caulerpa (and after you can see some available nutrients in the water) and see if you have better luck.

 

15 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I'll prune the Fern Caulerpa and put some in my nano then. That system doesn't have any macro in it so far - and it is suffering from an algae outbreak (BHA), so maybe (?) it'll help there? 🤔

Do you have a pic of that tank on here somewhere along with some test results from it?  

 

Most of the time algae outbreaks or algae blooms (in contrast with everyday normal algae growth) are simply from stocking the tank and starting to feed it...and the NEW nutrients that puts in the tank.  So not from nutrient levels per se, but from the change in conditions and change in nutrient levels.  

 

"Pest algae" are usually specialists at exploiting disturbances like that.  They'll QUICKLY suck up "nutrient surges" from disturbances (for example) to prevent their competitors from getting it and to enable a bloom so they can spread their DNA.

 

Conversely, they fare poorly against their competitors in more stable environments where nutrient spikes are usually harder to come by and where herbivores frequent.   They usually disappear from sight once the cleanup crew is fully engaged on a tank.  Adding macro algae probably will not help and might make it worse.

 

(For some theory, check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R/K_selection_theory.   Pest algae would be an example of an "r strategist".  Slower growing algae like coralline would be more of a "K-strategist".)

 

19 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

So I have a few mixes going on. I know, it sounds weird. :sad:

It's fine.  Even good!  Diversity is what leads a reef to stability!  I asked mostly to try to get a read on how the tank is doing overall.  The fact that you have coralline taking over to some degree is excellent.  (If it ever starts turning white, that's die-off.)

 

21 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I've been trying to get a hold of the one you have for the past several weeks without success. My LFS doesn't sell it - but they told me to try sourcing it out a hardware store. I tried, and so far no luck. Might have to look out for those giant warehouse-type-of-hardware-stores though. 

A bar or soda pop supply place should have it...that's what they use to plumb the taps to the kegs.  

 

The big hardware stores around here also all carry some version of it, but usually in relatively short lengths like 3 meters.

 

Hard to believe your LFS can't get you some though.....what on earth do they use in the store for themselves if not this???   LOL

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Wonderboy

Hmm, I had thought your system was high nutrient as well...

 

I wanted to mention a couple things:

 

I don't find it necessary to worry about the caulerpa. The bad rep of caulerpa is really not that bad because carbon or a WC alone can prevent sporing from causing any issues (I know from multiple experiences) - that and keeping another setup with some allows for easy restocking - of course chaeto is less "work", but not as workable and fun in other situations. I have kept many varieties for years before and the grape is the only one worth worrying (a little) about. I feel it's typically a lack of acquaintance that then builds a general fear to implement. I also think that you should try the gracilarea again - try it in very low light as IME its metabolism is significantly less than green algaes and it's intake must match its output, and based on the "pest" algaes, I'm almost sure the nutrients are there for it.

 

Also, the hose you're using is fine. It says it can be used for drinking water and is made from EPDM (peroxide cured); this is made from natural sources and is heat-treated to remove impurities for consumptions - the olnly additive you have to worry about in the inner lining would be carbon - the outer lining may leech bad stuff if exposed to heat/uv/sun for long periods. Along with the nickel plated ends, I think this hose is perfectly safe to use, I just wouldn't let it sit in SW for days. If you need modular tubing, I've done my scavenger hunting, and found hydroponic shops (if the internet/mail is too slow) to be everywhere - these places will have all the tubing in any size / length you'll need for almost anything - they also usually have bulkheads and barbed fittings in stock.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix
4 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Some of those could be a LOT more dependent on available nutrients than more aggressive, faster-growing algae like chaeto or caulerpa.

 

Give them a try AFTER you ditch the Caulerpa (and after you can see some available nutrients in the water) and see if you have better luck.

 

Do you have a pic of that tank on here somewhere along with some test results from it?  

 

Most of the time algae outbreaks or algae blooms (in contrast with everyday normal algae growth) are simply from stocking the tank and starting to feed it...and the NEW nutrients that puts in the tank.  So not from nutrient levels per se, but from the change in conditions and change in nutrient levels.  

 

"Pest algae" are usually specialists at exploiting disturbances like that.  They'll QUICKLY suck up "nutrient surges" from disturbances (for example) to prevent their competitors from getting it and to enable a bloom so they can spread their DNA.

 

Conversely, they fare poorly against their competitors in more stable environments where nutrient spikes are usually harder to come by and where herbivores frequent.   They usually disappear from sight once the cleanup crew is fully engaged on a tank.  Adding macro algae probably will not help and might make it worse.

 

(For some theory, check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R/K_selection_theory.   Pest algae would be an example of an "r strategist".  Slower growing algae like coralline would be more of a "K-strategist".)

 

It's fine.  Even good!  Diversity is what leads a reef to stability!  I asked mostly to try to get a read on how the tank is doing overall.  The fact that you have coralline taking over to some degree is excellent.  (If it ever starts turning white, that's die-off.)

 

A bar or soda pop supply place should have it...that's what they use to plumb the taps to the kegs.  

 

The big hardware stores around here also all carry some version of it, but usually in relatively short lengths like 3 meters.

 

Hard to believe your LFS can't get you some though.....what on earth do they use in the store for themselves if not this???   LOL

 

59 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Hmm, I had thought your system was high nutrient as well...

 

I wanted to mention a couple things:

 

I don't find it necessary to worry about the caulerpa. The bad rep of caulerpa is really not that bad because carbon or a WC alone can prevent sporing from causing any issues (I know from multiple experiences) - that and keeping another setup with some allows for easy restocking - of course chaeto is less "work", but not as workable and fun in other situations. I have kept many varieties for years before and the grape is the only one worth worrying (a little) about. I feel it's typically a lack of acquaintance that then builds a general fear to implement. I also think that you should try the gracilarea again - try it in very low light as IME its metabolism is significantly less than green algaes and it's intake must match its output, and based on the "pest" algaes, I'm almost sure the nutrients are there for it.

 

Also, the hose you're using is fine. It says it can be used for drinking water and is made from EPDM (peroxide cured); this is made from natural sources and is heat-treated to remove impurities for consumptions - the olnly additive you have to worry about in the inner lining would be carbon - the outer lining may leech bad stuff if exposed to heat/uv/sun for long periods. Along with the nickel plated ends, I think this hose is perfectly safe to use, I just wouldn't let it sit in SW for days. If you need modular tubing, I've done my scavenger hunting, and found hydroponic shops (if the internet/mail is too slow) to be everywhere - these places will have all the tubing in any size / length you'll need for almost anything - they also usually have bulkheads and barbed fittings in stock.

Thank you both for your advice. I truly appreciate it - any pointers/opinions is good, because this hobby is continuous learning process. I'm nine years in and still I discover new things about my reef every now and then. 🙂

 

I gave it a lot of thought - and I think for *now, I'll keep the caulerpa. Mostly because it's hard to get a good hold of macro here, and I'm not sure if it'll live if I transfer the clump to my nano. Plus, it doesn't seem to be doing any active harm to my tank, and the algae situation, as unsightly as it might seem from time to time, isn't out of control. 

 

@Wonderboy - I don't have access to gracilaria (would love to!) but I was keeping an eye out for galaxaura. Sometimes, if I'm lucky enough, a bit of it comes in through the Indo shipment but it's usually snatched up fairly quickly by other reefers. Halimeda and the rest mostly come on as hitchikers on wild coral colonies, so acquiring any of them is a bit of luck more than anything.

 

My hose doesn't have the metal fittings - it's just a rubber hose, no plated ends involved. And I keep it coiled up under the shade outdoors, where the sunlight won't reach it. I'll still try to hunt around for the clear tubing you recommended, @mcarroll - although if my memory serves me correctly, the diameter for that type of tubing is much larger than my current hose. Attaching it to my gravel pump to pump out the water from the DT would require a connector of some sort - will have to check on this. 🤔

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix

Also, I spotted Prowler the Circus Barred Goby again today and he fanned his fins at me. He looked gorgeous, and much, much healthier than he had been in my Pico. He only comes out when the lights are completely turned off. Since his species is nocturnal, I'm not surprised. Hoping to see more of him so that I can snap a quick pic. :happy:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Wonderboy
2 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

galaxaura

Oops, that's what I meant   :]

 

I'm sure you know, but wanted to put here for others that it's important to pull out some caulerpa from time to time to keep it from nearing theshold mass.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
mcarroll
3 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

if my memory serves me correctly, the diameter for that type of tubing is much larger than my current hose. Attaching it to my gravel pump to pump out the water from the DT would require a connector of some sort - will have to check on this. 🤔

 investigate which connector barbs are available for your pump before you acquire the tubing that. Just make sure you get the right size tubing for your barb and you will be all set. (Depending on your pump you might have a wide variety of barb choices to choose from.  Your pump may have come with some, or you may have to visit the hardware store. )

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix
8 hours ago, mcarroll said:

 investigate which connector barbs are available for your pump before you acquire the tubing that. Just make sure you get the right size tubing for your barb and you will be all set. (Depending on your pump you might have a wide variety of barb choices to choose from.  Your pump may have come with some, or you may have to visit the hardware store. )

Noted with thanks. 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix

This seems to be a hotspot in my reef every evening after feeding time:

 

Some quick recent snapshots:

 

Thanos:

 

IMG_20190927_105014_549.thumb.jpg.e6bcf1fb953d18d5645ff12144ca1000.jpg

 

Neon elegance:

 

IMG_20190927_190310_640.thumb.jpg.2c9b0bc8105de50ae35a24f8a692551c.jpg

 

IMG_20190927_190310_638.thumb.jpg.36641b9916ee4fc8e0590f70f3f3324c.jpg

 

Cynarina during heavy whites:

 

IMG_20190927_105147_914.thumb.jpg.6263c5becb1f2ef2466658e071862311.jpg

 

Cynarina during heavy blues:

 

IMG_20190927_190925_702.thumb.jpg.66d210334636a0d36d1f8191deedaaa0.jpg

 

Still bleached but recovering:

 

IMG_20190927_190822_301.thumb.jpg.3bf89ae3cb2f880176b8ec22be4da490.jpg

 

Yumas:

 

IMG_20190927_190445_136.thumb.jpg.482d1a7b3c437ef1929f51eb70464aa2.jpg

 

20190927_191639.thumb.jpg.c5dcc2854ab3424a28b0740186526c4b.jpg

 

Red devil shroom:

 

IMG_20190927_190543_736.thumb.jpg.132401673fb021b9e8854222315b241e.jpg

 

Blasto merletti:

 

IMG_20190927_190702_024.thumb.jpg.1f6c68d7fd6d371cecdf1e8e4ea3ce01.jpg

 

Miko:

 

IMG_20190927_185827_768.thumb.jpg.684dcf4761cdc49c6df0dad65eb14244.jpg

 

Sneaky zoom-in of Prowler - you can catch a blurry glimpse of his fins:

 

IMG_20190927_190056_107.thumb.jpg.190fbab577b63c4ac15e3e05d3a42fb9.jpg

 

I also picked up two new turban snails today as additional CUC:

 

Glass needs to be cleaned and aiptasia still needs to be killed - otherwise, everything is tentatively okay. 👍

 

Tomorrow I am planning on heading to the LFS to acquire more coral frags (softies/shrooms etc.) and either a shrimp or a fish (preferably another CB or wrasse of some sort). My current LFS had a beautiful tiger watchman in stock, but it was quite pricey and very jumpy. 

 

So I'll see my options and hopefully everything will fall within my budget. I spotted two types of leopard discosomas at my store today but the price held me back. I'm hoping the different store tomorrow will have a more affordable line of shrooms. The mountain still needs packing. 😉

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix

QT prepped and ready for 1 or 2 new fish. Will head out to the store in 45 mins or so to see what I can find. 👍

 

IMG_20190928_111739_934.thumb.jpg.b34133d6a48458ede246499224ea9b61.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix

I picked up 9 coral frags from the store today. 1 additional frag was thrown in as a freebie:

 

(At the store):

 

IMG_20190928_141415_176.thumb.jpg.336b97bcd68a463d028489af768d3af9.jpg

 

(At home):

 

IMG_20190928_152406_030.thumb.jpg.85434a099b7c3bd2ee5739e76f96de28.jpg

 

IMG_20190928_172204_075.thumb.jpg.a671410ad94350727a561d85a8e98b0e.jpg

 

Unfortunately, the pom pom xenia detached from the frag plug as I was transferring it into the tank. 😓

 

I tried slotting it into a rock crevice, but the moment I turned my wavemaker on, it was blown around the tank. 🙁

 

The other frags are doing great though. I also procured more macro - chaeto, grape and some seagrass:

 

IMG_20190928_153419_625.thumb.jpg.786e65429137f5cb3a16d4cc3ff20d90.jpg

 

IMG_20190928_191648_257.thumb.jpg.f5d410b5cadef9c65e2570831190e1d6.jpg

 

IMG_20190928_191648_258.thumb.jpg.2fc7683447b7c90657b9a1729132f46e.jpg

 

IMG_20190928_191648_259.thumb.jpg.a9f3b623dad61ec97fb95890573a05e1.jpg

 

I also got a cleaner shrimp - which was super pricey and an Indo-variant:

 

IMG_20190928_153558_441.thumb.jpg.aa66796be41348b598ebcec520033fe7.jpg

 

And lastly, I bought one tiny fish:

 

IMG_20190928_172445_525.thumb.jpg.3b55032187e7c3b6467d7d1ce3f74996.jpg

 

It's a red stoplight cardinalfish. Very timid and stays small. I did see a CB at the store, but it was small, thin and had ripped fins, so I gave it a pass. The tiger watchman goby definitely caught my interest at the first store, but I am giving it a lot of thought. Pricey and skittish with a strong likelihood of jumping out? I'm not sure if it's worth the risk. 🤔

 

So for now, I am still on the lookout for a second fish. Maybe a male rubyhead or Lubbocks would be better...? 🤔

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Amphrites

I wanted to do a school of yellow-striped Cardinals in my tank lol, but they're too hard to come-across. I like the little red stripes, I'm sure the little one will fit right in.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix
12 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I wanted to do a school of yellow-striped Cardinals in my tank lol, but they're too hard to come-across. I like the little red stripes, I'm sure the little one will fit right in.

I wanted to get a trio but this was the only one at the store. It was lumped together with a small school of blue eyed cards, and it looked so odd since it was bright pink lol. 

 

I quickly googled it up at the store - seems like a peaceful fish and it was only RM10, so I thought - why not? 😊

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Amphrites

Good lord that's cheap. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix
17 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Good lord that's cheap. 

I know. I was surprised as well - usually, the average price for an average marine fish (like a rubyhead wrasse, for example) ranges from RM 25 to RM 35 per fish (depending on which store your purchase it from). Smaller gobies and blennies like YCGs, Rainford's, Hector's, TSBs cost a min. of RM 20 each, which is expensive for a small fish. 

 

This particular fish (the cardinal) appears to have been shipped in by accident. Because only one specimen arrived, and usually when the LFS orders cardinals, they come in a small group of two dozen or so fish. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix

Gary tonight:

 

IMG_20190929_201703_567.thumb.jpg.1d32e58d90aa6cd3b0adfc1b89447456.jpg

 

New green leather coral acquired yesterday:

 

IMG_20190929_135526_343.thumb.jpg.bf5639eb61c2cd052bec458366005cf4.jpg

 

New green hairy shroom:

 

IMG_20190929_135407_227.thumb.jpg.834d5a7095242d76ccca2e33357e333f.jpg

 

New green torch frag:

 

IMG_20190929_135713_127.thumb.jpg.76c09e59315a3f00bd08e7b8e9c74520.jpg

 

My urchin stole my pom pom xenia - I eventually retrieved it and have now slotted it into a crevice behind my elegance:

 

IMG_20190929_110742_920.thumb.jpg.b878b340a221c9976324c348681e7225.jpg

 

The new guy set up a cleaning station under one of the arches:

 

IMG_20190929_201825_393.thumb.jpg.b2e9b889cfdc72164483e139f565e1e1.jpg

 

My Saron molted successfully yesterday after I added a drop of iodine to the reef two days ago:

 

IMG_20190929_203939_534.thumb.jpg.6ded9eac8b5c1d4f5bf239fc2ec29a13.jpg

 

Thanos was up to his usual antics today:

 

IMG_20190929_133147_470.thumb.jpg.77b4ee5ee0a483ad7d0a800c7d6817da.jpg

 

Sideshots of the reef under heavy whites:

 

IMG_20190929_132837_070.thumb.jpg.c0ab686d1e195dabd689c1e4723b3f88.jpg

 

IMG_20190929_133002_845.thumb.jpg.5728ce766e7b894ead9643081597a5c4.jpg

 

FTS on 29/9/2019:

 

IMG_20190929_132154_911.thumb.jpg.62f10c36f457dcd7a66901d397bce88d.jpg

 

Will edit the coral list in the main page shortly to include the new additions. 

 

I'm also currently torn between acquiring an orange frogspawn colony and two leopard discosomas at my main LFS. I'll visit the store again tomorrow to see my options, and if I can work out a payment plan of sorts to acquire at least 2 out of the 3 coral pieces. 🤔

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...