Cultivated Reef

2.5 Gallon Pico Heater

Jaag

actually just saw a review vid on amazon, and it sounds kinda loud not sure how loud it is based on video.  My fans are loud enough to know fans are on.  I really like this 80 dollar chiller tho... I may have to get it for My EVOreef. Thanks @asting

Just now, 748S911 said:

actually just saw a review vid on amazon, and it sounds kinda loud not sure how loud it is based on video.  My fans are loud enough to know fans are on.  I really like this 80 dollar chiller tho... I may have to get it for My EVOreef. Thanks @asting

Np! It looks to be a thermo electric cooler, not a full refrigerant but i haven't seen much info. It looks pretty interesting, so if you end up with one let us know how you like it. They rate it for a bit over 5G.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DH53B85/ref=twister_B07DH6TS73?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This one is "100w" and says up to 35L, which is just under 10G.

What's pretty critical is the amount it intends to cool each volume. If you only need 4-5 degrees, maybe you can be "oversized"

• Like 2

Highly recommend a Tetra or CA Neotherm 25w. Works like a charm! Have been using Tetra from the past 4 years for my Betta and Glofish Tanks. Consistent in performance.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Thats what im talking about!

If you get it, can you test it on like a 5g bucket of water? see how low you can take it below ambient?

In our use case, presumably ambient is mid-upper 70s, and ideal is 80 or so, so it's possibly going to be more efficient than just saying "a 5g bucket is cooled 8 degrees" or whatever, since taking a bucket from 74-66 is easier than keeping a tank that would hit 88 at 80, if the ambient is 74.

11 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Ok if I get it.

ha no problem. If not, i have really, REALLY poor self control and will probably have it before the end of the summer.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, asting said:

ha no problem. If not, i have really, REALLY poor self control and will probably have it before the end of the summer.

same here lol

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Krish87 said:

Highly recommend a Tetra or CA Neotherm 25w. Works like a charm! Have been using Tetra from the past 4 years for my Betta and Glofish Tanks. Consistent in performance.

I use the tetra too, they work great.

• Like 2
MainelyReefer
6 hours ago, asting said:

It=budget cooler?

Yeah buddy!  Don’t worry I’ll be irresponsible with my 12$ and let you all know how it goes.

• Like 1

I swapped out my Tetra 50w for an Aquatop 25w for my pico.  I think they perform more or less the same.   Both stayed within 1 degree (more or less,) but both do fluctuate a little within that 1 degree.  For me, my Aquatop fluctuated slightly less though, but again we are still talking about within 1 degree.  But I prefer the smaller profile of the Aquatop (takes up less room in my tank).  Having said that, I live in Southern California and the ambient temp in my home does not vary too much.

Photo for comparison.  

1885032013_Heatercomparison.jpg.f95ad988c8c787d942385a1fc271f059.jpg

I understand a lot of people use Tetra so it's a tested model.  Who knows how well the Aquatop does in the long run (though all heaters crap out at some point).

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

I use a Deep Blue Bettastik 7.5w glass heater for my 2 gallon pico jar, coupled with an Inkbird ITC-308 temperature controller that keeps the temp within 1 degree. It's a discontinued heater now, but 7.5 watts is more than enough power to keep up.

If you're starting new I'd recommend spending a few extra bucks on the Inkbird ITC-308S (note the S in the model number), it is designed with a removable temperature probe, which may come in handy in the future if the probe ever fails and loses accuracy, it's a cheap part to replace. I wish I had!

The last two days in Phoenix the high was 97°F, my first opportunity to test out the cooling side of my Inkbird controller. I bought this $3 Mainstays 4" USB powered mini desk fan and pointed it at my pico reef jar, it's plugged into a spare USB power supply on the cooling side of the Inkbird outlet. The tank hit 82° yesterday around 3:30 and the fan kicked on as expected. Between the fan and the house's air conditioning, it ran for about 3.5-4hrs before bringing the pico jar back to 78° and turning off. It will get much warmer in the coming weeks and months, but this was a good initial test of a simple solution.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I use a Deep Blue Bettastik 7.5w glass heater for my 2 gallon pico jar, coupled with an Inkbird ITC-308 temperature controller that keeps the temp within 1 degree. It's a discontinued heater now, but 7.5 watts is more than enough power to keep up.

If you're starting new I'd recommend spending a few extra bucks on the Inkbird ITC-308S (note the S in the model number), it is designed with a removable temperature probe, which may come in handy in the future if the probe ever fails and loses accuracy, it's a cheap part to replace. I wish I had!

The last two days in Phoenix the high was 97°F, my first opportunity to test out the cooling side of my Inkbird controller. I bought this $3 Mainstays 4" USB powered mini desk fan and pointed it at my pico reef jar, it's plugged into a spare USB power supply on the cooling side of the Inkbird outlet. The tank hit 82° yesterday around 3:30 and the fan kicked on as expected. Between the fan and the house's air conditioning, it ran for about 3.5-4hrs before bringing the pico jar back to 78° and turning off. It will get much warmer in the coming weeks and months, but this was a good initial test of a simple solution.

I think I'm going to buy the Inkbird too.   But I'm seriously running out of outlets with my backlighting, volcano, etc.  LOL.

• Haha 1