Top Shelf Aquatics

2.5 Gallon Pico Heater

Jaag

29 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I use a tetra. I've been using 1 in my betta tank for 2 yrs and it's been very reliable. 

I also use the same brand in my pico's.

Is your tetra pretty constant in temp?  My tetra 50w fluctuates quite a bit but never beyond 1 degree.  

18 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Cobalt 10w with controller of choice.

Archaea 25w nano aquarium heater with included controller.

Get any constant on heater and couple it with a controller like the inkbird, finnex, or this cheapo I just scored.

https://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=747+6780+5370&pcatid=5370

I was very tempted to buy that one too. Such a great deal!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Aqueon mini 10 watt, small, tiny, pico approved. 

I'll check that out.  Can't seem to find the Cobalt 10w anywhere.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

Is your tetra pretty constant in temp?  My tetra 50w fluctuates quite a bit but never beyond 1 degree.  

I was very tempted to buy that one too. Such a great deal!

Ya. Mine keep my tank at 77.

I got the preset which goes up to 78.

49 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I'll check that out.  Can't seem to find the Cobalt 10w anywhere.  

Both the aqueon and cobalt need a controller as they stay on constantly. 

I have the aqueon 10w. I could fry fish with it. 

I even tried with a timer with it on only 3 times a day and my tank would reach 84.5 and drop down to 74.

4 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Both the aqueon and cobalt need a controller as they stay on constantly. 

I have the aqueon 10w. I could fry fish with it. 

I even tried with a timer with it on only 3 times a day and my tank would reach 84.5 and drop down to 74.

Wow 😮 im at 79.5 right now and the heater has been running since last night. 🤔 

4 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Wow 😮 im at 79.5 right now and the heater has been running since last night. 🤔 

They aren't designed to turn off and that's the issue. So you need a controller.

In the betta community they are known as fish fryers. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

They aren't designed to turn off and that's the issue. So you need a controller.

6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

😂 thanks for the heads up, just looked at directions your right. Im getting a controller for this thing anyways so i should be good

F903B723-25A5-4BEC-961A-46C0665269AA.jpeg

did you let it marinate for 30 min before you started cooking?  (third step in their unnumbered list)

I dunno, but it may need the actual water temp to correctly calibrate itself.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

did you let it marinate for 30 min before you started cooking?  (third step in their unnumbered list)

🤣 I dont think I have ever Looked at any directions for my reef gear.... 😂 only thing I think ive read was back of bottle, testing stuff, thats about it. hahahahhahahahaha

My heater is simmering now... just checked the temp im at 81.7 now 🥵

just in time for my chiller trial...gonna see how long my twin jets take to cool this puppy down. 

72388BC4-B377-4E8A-BF6C-346D46BAC203.jpeg

19 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Yes. 

• Like 1
On 4/6/2019 at 2:36 PM, 748S911 said:

My heater is simmering now... just checked the temp im at 81.7 now 🥵

just in time for my chiller trial...gonna see how long my twin jets take to cool this puppy down. 

72388BC4-B377-4E8A-BF6C-346D46BAC203.jpeg

Why not just get a heater with a thermostat, or add a controller? simultaneously heating while blowing fans to cause evaporative cooling is hyper counter-productive.

I use the HT10, as it was the smallest heater i could find with a thermostat.

9 minutes ago, asting said:

Why not just get a heater with a thermostat, or add a controller? simultaneously heating while blowing fans to cause evaporative cooling is hyper counter-productive.

I use the HT10, as it was the smallest heater i could find with a thermostat.

Im squishing a Prime in the hood and need lots of cooling, didn't know my heater didn't have a thermostat.  I figured all those baby heaters had max cap at 78 degrees. All is great cause now I have a really hot heater and very chill fans with the thermostat I will be able to keep it at my desired temp all the time. So I have full control of my temp for less than 50 bucks 🙂. I'm not worried about evaporation. 

36 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Im squishing a Prime in the hood and need lots of cooling, didn't know my heater didn't have a thermostat.  I figured all those baby heaters had max cap at 78 degrees. All is great cause now I have a really hot heater and very chill fans with the thermostat I will be able to keep it at my desired temp all the time. So I have full control of my temp for less than 50 bucks 🙂. I'm not worried about evaporation. 

no problemo! there are controllers that do both so you don't have to counter-act.

1 minute ago, asting said:

no problemo! there are controllers that do both so you don't have to counter-act.

like? and under 50 bucks? 

13 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

like? and under 50 bucks? 

Yep. The Inkbird 308 is the first that jumps to mind, which is $24 or something at BRS right now.

Just now, asting said:

Yep. The Inkbird 308 is the first that jumps to mind, which is $24 or something at BRS right now.

Im with you on that..The inkbird will not cool a tank at 88 degrees. It will just cut off heater. I need a full on chiller with the prime under the hood of a 2.5 gal pico. 

The cheapest chiller I found was on amazon the vivo sun for 400 bucks 

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Ultrahigh-Refrigeration-Efficiency-Freshwater/dp/B07B7LBB47/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=aquarium%2Bchiller&qid=1554685785&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-2-spons&th=1

I'm using two usb fans at 7.99 each and a 9.99 heater with a 24 dollar temp controller.....I cant justify using a 400 dollar chiller, this was my best bet.