Jump to content
IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut

60 gallon to 10 gallons--YEAR UPDATE!

Recommended Posts

IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut

Hi everyone! I've been keeping saltwater fishtanks for probably 10 years, but was interrupted when I went to school for marine science. I've had a 60 gallon running for nearly that amount of time, but my last clownfish died (~7 years old!) and it's now just sitting empty apart from some crabs and who knows how many worms. 

 

I've been wanting to downgrade--as I'm getting out of the hobby and very ready to go back to a HOB filter from a sump--to something I could move my crabs to and get maybe 1-2 fish. SO today I bought an Aqueon 10 Gal LED Aquarium Kit (https://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Fish-Aquarium-Starter-Gallon/dp/B01LCZMHPM).. The bare minimum I need to keep a little ecosystem; though I might buy a powerhead if the filter isn't strong enough. 

 

My question is will the basic LED lighting provided support any kind of coral? Any mushrooms or anything at all? Just to fill the space in the tank. 

 

Also, do you guys suggest filling the filter with a carbon pack or live rock/bioballs?

 

The tank is being tested for cracks tonight, but I should be moving the rock/water/sand over the next few days!

 

Thank you so much

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

Basic led will not be enough. They barely grow low light plants.

 

You could try low light mushrooms but they won't be colorful, basically brown sand eith some paly's.

 

You could do non photosynthetic corals.

 

I ran my 15g eith a seachem tidal and used a powerhead but I had corals.

 

In my hob filter reef systems I ran the following.

 

Filter floss- purchased in bulk, cut to size, switched out twice a week

 

Activated carbon- purchased media bags and large containers of seachem or kent carbon. Bags rinsed with weekly waterchanges and carbon  changed every 2-3 weeks

 

Purigen- bag rinsed weekly and purigen changed when it turns brown.

 

Bioballs aren't popular anymore and liverock rubble isn't really needed with liverock in the tank. It makes it difficult to keep the filter clean

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut

Thanks @Clown79! I'll probably stick to a nice anemone then. And the live rock I have is covered with coralline so hopefully its not too barren.

 

I haven't been on a fish forum in easily 5 years and bioballs were all the rage back then! I also know a lot of people liked to make mini-sumps in their HOB so that's why I asked about the rock, but you're right that it's messy. I'll probably stick with the carbon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
1 minute ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

Thanks @Clown79! I'll probably stick to a nice anemone then. And the live rock I have is covered with coralline so hopefully its not too barren.

 

I haven't been on a fish forum in easily 5 years and bioballs were all the rage back then! I also know a lot of people liked to make mini-sumps in their HOB so that's why I asked about the rock, but you're right that it's messy. I'll probably stick with the carbon. 

Anemones need the same amount of light as corals, some require more light 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav

The only thing I would put under that light is sun corals..balanos...and dendros.. and you would need to stay on top of water parameters and feed them.

 

Definitely no anenome. They need high light.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut

Wow really? I've always been told they can live with weak lighting as long as they were supplemented with real food. 

 

Thanks for letting me know!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
HookedOnAquariums
9 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

Wow really? I've always been told they can live with weak lighting as long as they were supplemented with real food. 

 

Thanks for letting me know!

That’s tube anemones. Expert only

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
24 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

Wow really? I've always been told they can live with weak lighting as long as they were supplemented with real food. 

 

Thanks for letting me know!

This isn't really low lighting...it's basically no lighting as far as corals are concerned. If the tank hasn't been delivered yet you could price together your own tank on the cheap to support corals. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut
22 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

This isn't really low lighting...it's basically no lighting as far as corals are concerned. If the tank hasn't been delivered yet you could price together your own tank on the cheap to support corals. 

It's already in my garage being tested for cracks. I've never had luck with having lights -- always had ridiculous evaporation from the tank/condensation on the walls, so I definitely wanted something with a hood. I know that basically all good lights require an open top. 

 

I'm just trying to get the best bang for my buck I guess while making it the easiest fish tank ever (dunno why I would consider corals if I want something easy though). 

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
25 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

It's already in my garage being tested for cracks. I've never had luck with having lights -- always had ridiculous evaporation from the tank/condensation on the walls, so I definitely wanted something with a hood. I know that basically all good lights require an open top. 

 

I'm just trying to get the best bang for my buck I guess while making it the easiest fish tank ever (dunno why I would consider corals if I want something easy though). 

No worries, you can always rip the top off if you ever change your mind. Even if you just add one sun coral, it would be a dramatic bright effect. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

No worries, you can always rip the top off if you ever change your mind. Even if you just add one sun coral, it would be a dramatic bright effect. 

I might even have an old T5 somewhere if I reaaaallllly wanted. But I gotta get it up and running first! Thanks for all your help!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut

well it's been downgraded! can't wait to see when it's clearIMG_1593.thumb.JPG.2cbd316a991f75e6340c224d407d3670.JPG

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut

All clear! Ammonia is a little high as well as phosphates, but I guess that's what happens when you disturb the depths of your substrate after a few years. Just ordered a powerhead so that will be coming next week. IMG_1597.thumb.JPG.7fed9511241a6d1257afe04ae360d78a.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
20 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

All clear! Ammonia is a little high as well as phosphates, but I guess that's what happens when you disturb the depths of your substrate after a few years. Just ordered a powerhead so that will be coming next week. IMG_1597.thumb.JPG.7fed9511241a6d1257afe04ae360d78a.JPG

Ya, reusing old sand without fully washing it isn't recommended due to ammonia, phos, nitrates etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
banasophia

Looks really nice so far, and I came in here mainly cuz I wanted to say I like your username. 🙂  Looking forward to following along. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut
37 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Looks really nice so far, and I came in here mainly cuz I wanted to say I like your username. 🙂  Looking forward to following along. 

hahahah yeah my career trajectory is a bit of a mess, but that's another thread.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut

Since I've never done such a small tank, I've never really had to pay attention to size of fish.. so may I ask you guys for stocking suggestions? 

 

I think I'll comfortably go with at least one clownfish, maybe a pair. But then I maybe wanted a goby/blenny? However I don't really know the species too well.. I don't know, I'm up for any stocking suggestions. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
skyscraper2290

Hifin or a Yasha goby would be great paired with a pistol shrimp! Firefish, clown goby, and some smaller blennies I think would work too if you are still looking for fish ideas.

 

edit: for typo 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Lula_Mae
4 hours ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

Since I've never done such a small tank, I've never really had to pay attention to size of fish.. so may I ask you guys for stocking suggestions? 

 

I think I'll comfortably go with at least one clownfish, maybe a pair. But then I maybe wanted a goby/blenny? However I don't really know the species too well.. I don't know, I'm up for any stocking suggestions. Thank you!

There's a fish stocking guide, maybe in the beginner forum? That has recommendations and would be a good starting point. I love my pink streaked wrasse, kinda like a six line but nicer and shyer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
MarieH

 i like it.  I think a couple fire fish and a dendro and maybe some macro algae would be banging.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

Some ideas for a 10g are

 

2 clowns

Or

Clown and firefish

Or

clown and watchman goby

Or 

Clown and blenny(tailspot or bicolor blenny)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut

Thanks everyone! Yeah I'm in between the clown and watchman or just 2 clowns... we'll see.

 

Finally finished taking apart the 60 gallon 😞 sad to see it go but so nice to have something smaller

 

IMG_1599.thumb.JPG.c41dc7ee3aa5be81f1c01e87a4b1ddb7.JPG

 

Everything in the new tank is testing good! Still a little ammonia and the slightest bit of nitrites. Phosphates have gone down. Calcium is a little low. But it's stabilizing!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut

All parameters were reading at zero the past few days, and the powerhead came. I have it off for right now because it's a little overpowering (530 gph) for the tiny clown I picked up the other day and I'm afraid it'll get stuck in the intake slots. So I'm thinking to maybe put pantyhose around it? Not sure just yet. Also need to see if a different place works better. Need to do some maintenance. Replace the water from all the testing I've been doing.. water change entirely, etc.  

IMG_1633.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
10 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

All parameters were reading at zero the past few days, and the powerhead came. I have it off for right now because it's a little overpowering (530 gph) for the tiny clown I picked up the other day and I'm afraid it'll get stuck in the intake slots. So I'm thinking to maybe put pantyhose around it? Not sure just yet. Also need to see if a different place works better. Need to do some maintenance. Replace the water from all the testing I've been doing.. water change entirely, etc.  

IMG_1633.JPG

530gph may be high in a 10g, depending on corals you plan on keeping.

 

Its 53 times turnover which is suited for sps.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Fisker

Not sure it's the GPH that determines how much flow is too much flow in these small tanks (within reason) - I think it's the way the flow is outputted.

 

If you have a 530 GPH powerhead in a ten gallon that pushes all of the water through a 3/4" opening, then it's just going to jet across the tank and throw fish around.

 

If you take that same powerhead and push the water through a larger opening and disperse the flow a bit, you won't have issues, IME.

 

I've got an AC 30 and a Koralia Nano 425 in my standard 10 gallon, and that's a total of 575 GPH. The tank could still handle a bit more, and I think it's just due to how the flow is released.

 

Anyway, the whole point of that was to say that you should look into the Koralia Nano pumps, if you need to accommodate the clown.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...