ReefCleaners.org

60 gallon to 10 gallons--YEAR UPDATE!

IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut

Just now, Wingy said:

I find asterinas hiding in between zoa polyps when ever I bring a new one home.  

have you ever noticed any damage that you've been able to connect back to them??

On 2/3/2020 at 10:50 PM, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

have you ever noticed any damage that you've been able to connect back to them??

Not that I noticed.  The destruction crew was sexy shrimp and huge zoa eating amphipods.

8 minutes ago, Wingy said:

Not that I noticed.  The destruction crew was sexy shrimp and huge zoa eating amphipods.

I've left the frag plug in there just to see, and the asterina have really taken to it; enough that I can notice a difference from day to day. But I think that's more so because it's dead

• 2 weeks later...

A little update. Went to a new LFS that had BOGO so I got another piece of GSP (very hopeful this time!) and a zoa. Anyone have any idea as to what kind it is??

this is the next morning so I’ll see if it’s still happy after a few days.

my mushroom has been very temperamental. It’s clinging to that rock by the smallest effort. Maybe I moved the power head ever so slightly? But it needs to make up its mind if it wants to move or not! 
I’ve also switched over to IO reef crystals

plus I’m still thinking if to get another strip of the orbits..

A0DC4564-CCEF-4FA4-9A11-3052BC9A71F4.jpeg

20BAB69E-A3BF-4F01-B762-99F6E0DE5950.jpeg

• Like 1

Good luck with the GSP and good luck with the mushroom.  My first corals were Xenia, knopia and a mushroom.  Only the knopia remains.  The sexy shrimp ate the Xenia and the mushroom I named Mr Cranky Pants after it detached.  It became a toy for the pom pom crab to throw around and eventually melted away.  

10 minutes ago, Wingy said:

Good luck with the GSP and good luck with the mushroom.  My first corals were Xenia, knopia and a mushroom.  Only the knopia remains.  The sexy shrimp ate the Xenia and the mushroom I named Mr Cranky Pants after it detached.  It became a toy for the pom pom crab to throw around and eventually melted away.  

The xenia has been doing great!! It's definitely gotten bushier, but no new stalks/polyps yet. The mushroom, I think, was honestly happier under basic LED's! I'm really not sure if it's trying to split or move.. It's kind of in a figure-8 shape now. I've just been keeping a close eye on it. 

The Xenia I have now is just a tiny piece.  It has grown new stalks and has quite a few nodules but it won't fully open.  It isn't droopy just always partially closed.  After doing a 75% water change (a whole gallon and a half) and moving it into the Duncan's territory I saw it pulse once and then stop.  I swear it was mocking me.

17 minutes ago, Wingy said:

The Xenia I have now is just a tiny piece.  It has grown new stalks and has quite a few nodules but it won't fully open.  It isn't droopy just always partially closed.  After doing a 75% water change (a whole gallon and a half) and moving it into the Duncan's territory I saw it pulse once and then stop.  I swear it was mocking me.

hahahha do you run a cleaner tank??

I swear the xenia I have don't close for anything; Petco really makes some hardy corals

I feed the tank reef roods once or twice a week, blow the rocks substrate and corners atleast once a week and throw a piece of pellet to the shrimp every other day.  I have l coraline in two colors  and some gha that I have to scrub off every week so I assume nutrients aren't low.  

5 minutes ago, Wingy said:

I feed the tank reef roods once or twice a week, blow the rocks substrate and corners atleast once a week and throw a piece of pellet to the shrimp every other day.  I have l coraline in two colors  and some gha that I have to scrub off every week so I assume nutrients aren't low.  

yeah. guess it just hates you 🙂

Everything you read about urchins is true.... luckily i glued down that frag earlier this morning. IMG_5048.thumb.JPG.75581be5166eda375fdfcbf63a586d05.JPG

i also think my toadstool is starting to grow a stalk/foot :-); you can kind of see it growing away from the base rock it came on. 

IMG_5049.thumb.JPG.0c2e94e0bdcf7702b8feb828d88b8bec.JPG

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

The asterina definitely ate some of my zoas :-(. Working to remove them as I can.

U sure the zoas they ate weren't already dying/dead?

The vast majority of asterina are harmless but will clean up dying matter/algae.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

U sure the zoas they ate weren't already dying/dead?

The vast majority of asterina are harmless but will clean up dying matter/algae.

100%. They were actually new heads and growing quite well.

Just now, Wingy said:

Is that GSP I see on the left?

Yes 🙂 I picked up another frag from another store, and I'm hopeful. It looks 1000000% better than the other one.