sublunary

RSR 250 Planning Thread

sublunary

I have upgraded from an apartment to my very own house, which means my aquatic friends are getting a housing upgrade too.   I bought a Red Sea Reefer 250 and am both excited and terrified to get it up and running.   I've only ever had AIOs - 12 and 16 gallons.  So the sump and water volume are big changes for me. 

I'm starting this thread as a place to  collect ideas out loud, where people can give me feedback before I actually do anything.  It will probably be a few months before I have purchased everything I need to get wet, so there's plenty of time to brainstorm.

sublunary

The tank:

I went with the RSR largely because of the plug-and-play aspect.  I don't trust myself to do anything involving plumbing or drilling or stand-building, so this was a good way to jump into a sumped tank with minimal danger of me screwing it up.   

It arrived super quickly and the delivery guy was super nice.  Everything said it was curbside delivery only, but he brought the tank right into my garage.  I suspect it was partially to distract me from the puncture wound at the top of the box...

20181205_183905.thumb.jpg.665ff8d5a2bda710497218bcf6f5aeef.jpg

Luckily the only thing damaged was the removable part of the overflow grate.   Once I contacted Red Sea customer service I had a whole new set of grates within 3 days.  I've very pleased with their responsiveness.

20181208_173401.thumb.jpg.c22d97dc8c24972778683c6858234440.jpg

Tank is set up in the living room.  There are a few things about the placement that are less than ideal, but it's definitely the best spot in the whole house for it.  My partner was really pushing for a kitchen set up so he didn't have to worry about me ruining carpets, but it would have been too much in the way. 

20181208_185556.thumb.jpg.48fc8e3a35d0da636a166f7b1caf273b.jpg

Everything was fairly easy to put together, with the exception of the things that push the doors open when you push on them (I'm sure they have a name, but I don't know it).  There were no pre-drilled holes, and I got blisters from forcing screws into the stand to get them on.   The doors don't hang as nicely as they should - they actually don't touch the springy parts, so I feel like I got blisters for nothing.  But other than that, it's a lovely set up and seems incredibly sturdy. 

The plumbing was also easy to put together.  The directions were very clear and I feel pretty confident it will hold.  I'm going to use the stock ATO reservoir and float valve to see how I like them.  I have the version that came with the refugium partition, so I'm going to use that as a refugium.  I still need to decide what light to use and whether I want to do something more than a ball of chaeto. 

I need to decide on a skimmer and get a dosing pump.  I really want an Apex, but should probably put off that expense just a bit longer.  I also need to decide what heater to get and where to place it.  

FSTanks

Plan, plan, plan.

I’m still learning a bunch as my RSR170 is my first SW and anything bigger than 15 gallons.

It may be the conditions in my office, but the ATO only lasts me 2 days tops... I would plan for the biggest ATO FW tank you can fit into your space.

sublunary

@FSTanks  thanks for that.  I've got a 1.2 gallon reservoir for my 16 gallon and it lasts me 7-10 days.  I definitely didn't think through how that would scale up.

sublunary

Display tank plans:

For the most part, I plan to keep the livestock to what I know and love.  It will largely be a softy and gorgonian tank.  I may go back to some of the flowy LPS that I haven't kept in a while.  I miss having duncans and frogspawn.  I want to stay away from high light corals.  I love my AI Prime on the smaller tank, and would rather run 2 of those near full power than upgrade to something pricier.  But, I also want to eventually keep a maxima again, so an upgrade may be in order once the tank is mature enough for that. 

I am a huge fan of small fish, and plan to continue that in the bigger tank.  My Yasha and candy striped pistol will be moving over.  I want a yellow assessor.  I may get a bimaculatus blenny or firefish.   I would LOVE to find a group of trimma tevegae, but have more or less given up on finding them ever, so I might go for a few trimma rubromaculatus instead.   Of course, the ultimate aim is a pair of captive bred green mandarins, but that's maybe a year down the road.  I need to learn to culture phyto and pods first, in addition to letting the tank mature.  I will also be getting a mesh screen to cut down on jumping, because I also tend to like fish who jump.

As far as scape, I fell in love with what @vlangel did in her main tank.  I have some Two Little Fishies Stax rock, and want to use it to make  a retaining wall so the tank would be part deep sand and part shallow sand.  With the pistol shrimp, I probably will not get an anoxic DSB going, so this would be mostly for the aesthetic effect.   One side of the tank would have my gorgonian forest, the other side would have a taller rock structure for mounting corals.  I'm not sure if it would come together anything like I'm imagining, but I'm excited to play around with the rocks.  

Flow in the tank will be from an Ice Cap gyre.  Probably one of my biggest concerns in setting up the terraced sand bed is figuring out how it would affect flow in the tank, and whether the gyre should be mounted on the low sandbed side or the high sandbed side.  

This will likely be an all dry rock tank.  I know with the bigger tank it's going to be harder for me to spot invasive hitchhikers and harder to motivate myself to get in there and get rid of them, so it's better to just avoid the problem from the start.  But I do miss the diversity you get from live rock, and I know I'd get a more robust microfauna population with live, so the matter isn't entirely settled.  

vlangel

Thanks so much for the compliment on my scape.  And guess what?  I got an I

Ice Cap gyre for Christmas so I will let you know how the flow goes.  I also do not know which side of the tank that I am going to set it up but I plan to play with it.

In many ways our tanks will be similar because I am also going with little fish in a big tank, plus I enjoy the inverts too.