Pod Your Reef

Did I go crazy

sapling

5 hours ago, sapling said:

My rocks? Just dry reef saver rock from  brs, have used it since the tank was set up 

I was hoping you'd say live rock to take some of the mystery out of it, but now it's even more interesting. Not even some live rock to seed?

2 minutes ago, xthunt said:

I was hoping you'd say live rock to take some of the mystery out of it, but now it's even more interesting. Not even some live rock to seed?

No I used the caribsea live sand bag, but besides that I ammonia cycled and seeded bacteria with vials of biodigest

6 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

Basic rundown. Small system, dry rock, only livestock were sexy shrimp (removed), corals, and cleanup crew. Corals were dipped with coral rx. Coral rx isn’t going to kill a fish with brief exposure, but I can’t imagine one would stay still for it.

No, it wouldn't. The dip will cause the fish to exit the coral immediately. Hmm. Then how did it slip into the system in the first place? Brotulids aren't hardy in any sort of dip. Mine died after exposure to prazi. It developed open lesions along the length of its body. I wager a coral dip would have killed the fish or stressed it out far enough to almost-kill it. 

I scrolled up and someone mentioned John the Reefcleaners guy? This fish hitchiked with his CUC...?

I have had dementia patients that see snakes..dogs..ect in their room...

Just kidding ! Can't wait till you can film this fish...try to stand back and zooom in

25 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

No, it wouldn't. The dip will cause the fish to exit the coral immediately. Hmm. Then how did it slip into the system in the first place? Brotulids aren't hardy in any sort of dip. Mine died after exposure to prazi. It developed open lesions along the length of its body. I wager a coral dip would have killed the fish or stressed it out far enough to almost-kill it. 

I scrolled up and someone mentioned John the Reefcleaners guy? This fish hitchiked with his CUC...?

Speculation. Seems about the only likely source at this point. 

• Like 3

Interesting development..... well, not really, but I found it interesting. It appears there is a brotulid in Florida waters. It’s a species that occurs from the northern gulf, up to the Carolinas. Everything I’ve found is just government studies in fish density, and crap like that. However, according to this, brotulid larvae are the 8th most common species collected.

https://www.boem.gov/ESPIS/3/4042.pdf

Now, by the OPs drawing, I suspect it’s more likely a goby. But, others can’t be ruled out just yet.

Edit. This was from 1979, so this is nothing new. In fact, I’d guess most of you weren’t even born yet. I just never knew, so I found it interesting.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

The OP's sketch resembles a goby more than a brotulid though. The brotulid's dorsal fin runs from the back of its head all the way down to the length of the body. The tail is small and separate but when the fish is in motion, it almost appears as if the tail is a part of the dorsal fin itself. You can see this anatomical aspect in some fish species - a prime example is the smallest freshwater spiny eel species M. Panculus (I *think that's how you spell it - not 100% sure). (But the eels move in a typical 'S' fashion like snakes, rather than 'waves' like you can see in brotilids).

I've never seen a brotulid larval phase so I'm not sure if the extension of the dorsal fin develops as the fish matures or if it is something they're born with from the get-go. 

OP, if ever this does turn out to be a brotulid, don't worry - it's harmless. You'll catch hell trying to get it out of your system though. 

• Like 1

That was 1979, they may not have known brotulid were live bearers. However, the one in that article is a different genus, so maybe it is an egg layer. Then again, the yellows have been reclassified about half a dozen times, so it could just be that. I really don’t know.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RayWhisperer said:

That was 1979, they may not have known brotulid were live bearers. However, the one in that article is a different genus, so maybe it is an egg layer. Then again, the yellows have been reclassified about half a dozen times, so it could just be that. I really don’t know.

Tbh, I'm guessing as well. Unless there is a clearer pic, there is no way of telling for certain if it is even a brotulid.

• Like 1

Brotulid was brought up by me in response to someone suggesting some kind of live bearer that comes in with macros. I listed the only livebearing saltwater fish I knew of. Brotulid were on that list. None of the other livebearers would swim like the OPs mystery fish. Any other small, live bearing marine, or brackish/marine fish you can think of? Guppy, molly, and endler have already been listed.

• Like 2

OP, can you leave a camera filming video for an hour and leave the room for a while? 

White light would also make it far easier to see. 

This is awesome, it gives me the same feeling as when someone finds a hidden safe on reddit. Lets pray OP delivers 😂

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Frag Factory said:

OP, can you leave a camera filming video for an hour and leave the room for a while? 

White light would also make it far easier to see. 

This is awesome, it gives me the same feeling as when someone finds a hidden safe on reddit. Lets pray OP delivers 😂

You ruined it now.  OP gun be ded before we ever get an answer. 

• Haha 3
  • Wow 1

Or at least none that I know of. If we shipped you a fish I apologize, I don’t know how that happened send me an email when you can and I can look into it. (If you have already sent an email I should get to it in a few hours). 

So update, I have a picture that’s better than before, I had just almost given up to take the picture when I saw it again. I already had the lights to all white. I could not get the phone to focus better before it left. The angle I usedC01C5395-3966-43CE-9FF9-D96F7EA0EEA1.thumb.jpeg.bf58e55281f0524342f96f4c970e09b0.jpegC2EC9C49-A908-4C0A-929B-498B533614F7.thumb.jpeg.7f627085ae07d4becb4601a10eb09d1d.jpeg to get a better view causes distortion as well 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Well, now that's something. The body certainly looks gobyish. However, the head and beady little eyes do resemble a brotulid. Maybe even their distant cousins, the ass fish. Now those, I have had one of.anything that lives in the ass of another is a must have. 

There is yet another possibility I didnt think of. Many types of tube worms have a symbiotic crab, or fish, that inhabits the tube with them. I've never read about one living in a Hawaiian feather dusters tube. But that doesnt mean there aren't any. Just about as likely as one coming in on some macro, IMO.

• Like 3

So I was watching it again, it hovers and does not dart only for movement, looks more like it can also glide a bit smoothly, I saw this as it turned and moved around a bit in the cave, the fish really only looks about fingernail sized, 

• Like 2