Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dave's 20g glass box 🎉 Water Box 20 IS STILL GOING.......

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

9 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Where would I buy that? I don't think I've ever seen bristle worms for sale...you have any to send to me?? 😁

I might. Just sent @patback some stuff but the damn stars and limpets died. 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, WV Reefer said:

I might. Just sent @patback some stuff but the damn stars and limpets died. 😞

Aww bummer ☹️. I wonder what I could do to get them... I'm so surprised that I have none in here.

• Like 1
Just now, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Aww bummer ☹️. I wonder what I could do to get them... I'm so surprised that I have none in here.

I have tons of bristleworms I can send but I need to figure out how to ship the damn stars.  I don’t want to just send you a box of worms. 😂

I like this place:

https://www.ipsf.com/

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

I have tons of bristleworms I can send but I need to figure out how to ship the damn stars.  I don’t want to just send you a box of worms. 😂

I like this place:

https://www.ipsf.com/

Thank you so much. I've never even heard of that place. I'm definitely getting something from them. That's just what I need I think.

See brainstorming helps. Thanks for the help today.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Thank you so much. I've never even heard of that place. I'm definitely getting something from them. That's just what I need I think.

See brainstorming helps. Thanks for the help today.

No problemo. 😄 I’ve started both my tanks with goodies from there. 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

No problemo. 😄 I’ve started both my tanks with goodies from there. 

They have so much stuff 😮. That is exactly what I need. It's almost overwhelming all the stuff.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

They have so much stuff 😮. That is exactly what I need. It's almost overwhelming all the stuff.

Get the package and then choose some spaghetti worms, bristleworms, brittlestars, and pods for sure. 

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
5 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Get the package and then choose some spaghetti worms, bristleworms, brittlestars, and pods for sure. 

Well we are gonna try that in a week or so. Gonna figure this out 😀

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
46 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I would happily send you some of mine, damn that ocean

Well thanks for keeping me in mind :smilie:

My pods should be in in a few days. I ordered two different types of pods and got a free order of brine shrimp. I'm gonna dump it all in and hope for the best. I think I may add a some rubble rock to the middle back chamber...dump all the pod in there?

Question for anyone that reads this....Can I use rock that's been sitting in un circulated saltwater for two months. It's left over rock from when I took down the 20. The left over rock has been sitting in old tank water since then.

• Like 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, Wonderboy said:

Yes - I do it all the time - RODI rinse and straight in the tank

Oh awesome thanks man :happydance:. I was gonna rodi dip it and then dip it in some fresh saltwater. When I get all my pods I figured it would be a good idea to dump them in the back chamber with some rocks. Hopefully get them to repopulate on their own. I should be getting my order from algae barn weds I think.

3 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Well thanks for keeping me in mind :smilie:

My pods should be in in a few days. I ordered two different types of pods and got a free order of brine shrimp. I'm gonna dump it all in and hope for the best. I think I may add a some rubble rock to the middle back chamber...dump all the pod in there?

Question for anyone that reads this....Can I use rock that's been sitting in un circulated saltwater for two months. It's left over rock from when I took down the 20. The left over rock has been sitting in old tank water since then.

The best thing to do for long term rock storage or even short term is to put it in a barrel or bucket and use a shitpot full of GFO or AlO on it. That's a great time to get rid of a lot of phosphates if there's an issue. When I pull old dry rock out of a tank that's what I do. You can get a little internal filtre for about $10 and put a bag of phosphate remover in it instead of the foam block.

As for the pods and brine shrimp, the pods will do OK, the brine shrimp will probably die and foul the water, just keep an eye on them.

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
8 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

The best thing to do for long term rock storage or even short term is to put it in a barrel or bucket and use a shitpot full of GFO or AlO on it. That's a great time to get rid of a lot of phosphates if there's an issue. When I pull old dry rock out of a tank that's what I do. You can get a little internal filtre for about $10 and put a bag of phosphate remover in it instead of the foam block.

As for the pods and brine shrimp, the pods will do OK, the brine shrimp will probably die and foul the water, just keep an eye on them.

Oh damn... I wonder if they brine shrimp will be ok in the fridge... I got it because it was free with my first order. I don't think I have anything that'll eat them. I just thought more diversity in the tank. What do you think? Should I not put them in?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh damn... I wonder if they brine shrimp will be ok in the fridge... I got it because it was free with my first order. I don't think I have anything that'll eat them. I just thought more diversity in the tank. What do you think? Should I not put them in?

I make hatched baby brine shrimp every day and fortify them with garlic guard and Zoe and feed to both tanks. The fish seem to love them. Of course, that's not their whole meal I usually give them some sort of mysis at the same time so there's chunky bits. The brine may be a waste of time to some people, but I find it a good base for making a soup of the garlic guard, Zoe, phyto/zoo, reef roads or mysis. Whatever I'm feeding that day.

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I make hatched baby brine shrimp every day and fortify them with garlic guard and Zoe and feed to both tanks. The fish seem to love them. Of course, that's not their whole meal I usually give them some sort of mysis at the same time so there's chunky bits. The brine may be a waste of time to some people, but I find it a good base for making a soup of the garlic guard, Zoe, phyto/zoo, reef roads or mysis. Whatever I'm feeding that day.

This was my first time ever getting them. I only have the clownfish so I don't have anything that'll eat them. I was hoping to add them to add some more animal life to the tank. Now I'm not sure... I don't need any more algae sources lol

• Like 1
Just now, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

This was my first time ever getting them. I only have the clownfish so I don't have anything that'll eat them. I was hoping to add them to add some more animal life to the tank. Now I'm not sure... I don't need any more algae sources lol

The clown will eat them. I have a clown pair in both tanks and they sit there snapping them up as the current brings them by. But I started using them for the mandarins and now it's just a habit. It may be a waste of time and money for you right now.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
20 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

The clown will eat them. I have a clown pair in both tanks and they sit there snapping them up as the current brings them by. But I started using them for the mandarins and now it's just a habit. It may be a waste of time and money for you right now.

Well, it was free so no waste of money :smilie:. Will see what happens

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

I did a really deep clean the other day. The tank is looking awesome so hopefully I can keep it that way.

Couple things.. I added the pods from algae barn on Wednesday so I have a little diversity for now. I still wanna place an order for bristle worms and brittle starfish.. that'll be soon.

Tank is sucking up alk like a fat kid at a chocolate store so the corals are growing.

All the corals are doing great with awesome polyp extension except for the montiporas. I have no idea why they are so angry. They are slowly growing over the side of the frag plug and the skin color looks good but I just don't have good polyp extension. I'm at a loss as to why they are both being temperamental. New tank syndrome maybe :unsure:. They look good other than very little extension.

• Like 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Another tank update.

Did my normal water change last night and man the tank looks good. I'll get some good pics tonight.

I have been doing a lot of reading in regards to PE. Seems that high flow sometimes keeps PE to a minimum. I noticed last night looking at both montis that they have amazing color just very little PE. In fact, one of them is growing really well. Its grown down the side of the frag plug and started onto the epoxy :smilie:. Of course it's on the back side :unsure:. I have my wave pump blowing right at the montis because I always read that sps like high flow areas.

Does this sound right? Think that's why I don't have good PE?

Just a thought I'd throw out to see if it makes sense to anybody else. Other than lack of PE The colors are really good. Pics of the tank tonight when I get home.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Another tank update.

Did my normal water change last night and man the tank looks good. I'll get some good pics tonight.

I have been doing a lot of reading in regards to PE. Seems that high flow sometimes keeps PE to a minimum. I noticed last night looking at both montis that they have amazing color just very little PE. In fact, one of them is growing really well. Its grown down the side of the frag plug and started onto the epoxy :smilie:. Of course it's on the back side :unsure:. I have my wave pump blowing right at the montis because I always read that sps like high flow areas.

Does this sound right? Think that's why I don't have good PE?

Just a thought I'd throw out to see if it makes sense to anybody else. Other than lack of PE The colors are really good. Pics of the tank tonight when I get home.

I doubt that’s the reason. 

show us the pics!

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I doubt that’s the reason. 

show us the pics!

I will.. my orange monti is so pretty and bright. If the polyps would come out they are blue.

• Like 1