Cultivated Reef

Dave's 20g glass box šŸŽ‰ Water Box 20 IS STILL GOING.......

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, WV Reefer said:

What type of Monti is it?Ā 

I wish I knew. It was in the 20 random frag tank at the lfs. He said it might be a sunset monti. That's the one I told him I would give him a frag of if I managed to grow it and not kill it. So far so good :smilie:

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

It's crazy because the monti had really good PE in my old 20.. The new tank not so much. I'm trying not to let it bother me but it is. Granted I have some hair algae that's growing around it so maybe that is pissing it off. I also haven't feed reef roids in about a month, mainly because I'm trying to keep nutrient import on the lower side while I deal with the algae. Maybe I'll try and feed them tonight see if I can get a reaction?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

I doubt thatā€™s the reason.Ā 
Ā 

show us the pics!

Yea, nice booby pics.Ā 

43 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

So this is now a DS Chickenpox Monti?

Better than Crotch Rot Montipora.šŸ¤”

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

So this currently happening.......shall I intervene or let nature do nature things?? Also I can't tell if it's empty or if there is a hermit that is slowly coming to it's end šŸ˜‚

IMG_20190930_172823.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

So here's a little photo dump. Sorry for the piss poor pics.

You can see the two montis with very little PE. Other than that they look good in my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong.

IMG_20190930_185451.jpg

IMG_20190930_185435.jpg

IMG_20190930_185529.jpg

IMG_20190930_185514.jpg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Don't mind the algae... šŸ˜‚ It's hard to get a toothbrush in next to them without actually getting the coral with the brush

You need to get in there with some tweezers, peroxide and q tips. Ā No wonder itā€™s pissed.Ā 

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
42 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

You need to get in there with some tweezers, peroxide and q tips. Ā No wonder itā€™s pissed.Ā 

The peroxide isn't gonna hurt the montis? I thought it was too harsh to use on sps. You think that would help?

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Ok well did a little peroxide and tweezed the best I could ....hows it look now?

I didn't put the filter on so it's super blue.

IMG_20190930_211926.jpg

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, WV Reefer said:

Continue to spot treat as needed and see if the coral improves.Ā 

It's really hard to hit it with peroxide.. I did both of them. I'll keep an eye out though. Thanks šŸ˜Š

• Like 1
2 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

manscaping thats what she is saying :lol:

• Haha 6
12 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

It's really hard to hit it with peroxide.. I did both of them. I'll keep an eye out though. Thanks šŸ˜Š

With any luck that big Turbo in your last picĀ will be able to keep it down now that it's down to his size. šŸ™‚Ā 

Ā 

Anything longer than 1/8-1/4" and I think the snails start being unable to eat it....either physically unable because their mouth is too small, or chemically repelled because the algae was able to hit "critical mass" and generate enough anti-palatability chemicals to make it not taste good anymore.Ā 

Ā 

That's where you come in as The Master Cleanup Crew (like you did here) and reset it back down to their level.

Ā 

Don't forget too, if your snails are missing an important area where algae is growing, it could be because they just can't find it.Ā  Pick up a snail or two (or three!) and place them right on the trouble spot.Ā  Ā This helps often, but not always....since the first two points (physicality, chemistry) I mentioned take priority.Ā  But I would try this for a day or two before going into manual mode, but as soon as you notice the algae not being tended to.Ā  šŸ‘

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
11 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

With any luck that big Turbo in your last picĀ will be able to keep it down now that it's down to his size. šŸ™‚Ā 

Ā 

Anything longer than 1/8-1/4" and I think the snails start being unable to eat it....either physically unable because their mouth is too small, or chemically repelled because the algae was able to hit "critical mass" and generate enough anti-palatability chemicals to make it not taste good anymore.Ā 

Ā 

That's where you come in as The Master Cleanup Crew (like you did here) and reset it back down to their level.

Ā 

Don't forget too, if your snails are missing an important area where algae is growing, it could be because they just can't find it.Ā  Pick up a snail or two (or three!) and place them right on the trouble spot.Ā  Ā This helps often, but not always....since the first two points (physicality, chemistry) I mentioned take priority.Ā  But I would try this for a day or two before going into manual mode, but as soon as you notice the algae not being tended to.Ā  šŸ‘

Oh wow, thanks :smilie:Ā I didn't realize that they can be turned off by longer algae. The last couple weeks I've been toothbrushing the rocks like crazy to make sure its small enough. I did realize that they are pretty bad about finding the algae on the rocks lol. Since my tank is bare bottom they are doing a pretty good job at keeping the glass on the bottom clean..well mostly clean, they seem to miss the back of the tank :lol:. I'm curious to see how the montiporas are when I get home. I tried to get as much algae away from them as possible. I may have to rip the frag plug off the rocks and glue them to new plugs... maybe, will see what happens.

Am I doing more harm then good buy toothbrushing the algae? Like am I spreading it worse that way?

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Ā I didn't realize that they can be turned off by longer algae.

You also might not have enough snails...forgot to mention that since I saw snails in the pics...you might need up to 1 or 2 turbo snails per gallon....or equivalent if you're using smaller snails.Ā  Not sure what you already have.

Ā 

As usual, achieve that density slowly so you can get the number "just right" or as close as possible without overshooting.

Ā 

14 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Am I doing more harm then good buy toothbrushing the algae? Like am I spreading it worse that way?

It will have the potential to cause spreading, depending on tank conditions.Ā  If spreading seems to be really bad, setting up a micron filter or UV filter would be a good idea until the snail population is up to the task.Ā  I used a pair of Marineland Polishing Filters on my 125 Gallon like this.

Ā 

Lots of bare, well-lit aragonite and not enough snails to patrol it?Ā  You can count on it spreading to the extent those conditions are present.Ā 

Ā 

Plucking it out is better when possible...should be faster too.Ā  Pluck first and only scrub what's left.Ā  Ā (Baby toothbrush so it's really soft on the coral tissue?)Ā  Try to "plant snails" where you scrub instead of scrubbing to see if that makes any difference.

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh wow, thanks :smilie:Ā I didn't realize that they can be turned off by longer algae. The last couple weeks I've been toothbrushing the rocks like crazy to make sure its small enough. I did realize that they are pretty bad about finding the algae on the rocks lol. Since my tank is bare bottom they are doing a pretty good job at keeping the glass on the bottom clean..well mostly clean, they seem to miss the back of the tank :lol:. I'm curious to see how the montiporas are when I get home. I tried to get as much algae away from them as possible. I may have to rip the frag plug off the rocks and glue them to new plugs... maybe, will see what happens.

Ā 

1 minute ago, mcarroll said:

You also might not have enough snails...forgot to mention that since I saw snails in the pics...you might need up to 1 or 2 turbo snails per gallon....or equivalent if you're using smaller snails.Ā  Not sure what you already have.

Ā 

As usual, achieve that density slowly so you can get the number "just right" or as close as possible without overshooting.

Ā 

It will have the potential to cause spreading, depending on tank conditions.Ā  If spreading seems to be really bad, setting up a micron filter or UV filter would be a good idea until the snail population is up to the task.Ā  I used a pair of Marineland Polishing Filters on my 125 Gallon like this.

Ā 

Lots of bare, well-lit aragonite and not enough snails to patrol it?Ā  You can count on it spreading to the extent those conditions are present.Ā 

Ā 

Plucking it out is better when possible...should be faster too.Ā  Pluck first and only scrub what's left.Ā  Ā (Baby toothbrush so it's really soft on the coral tissue?)Ā  Try to "plant snails" where you scrub instead of scrubbing to see if that makes any difference.

Ā 

Ā 

Have to say i have been "encouraging" mine by placing on the freshly trimmed algae, seems to be getting better and doing less and less manual removal (yay) I also find that I have to give them a time out in a breeder box for a couple of days, After that they're raring to go again

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I just recently got a good sized order from reef cleaners. I have tons of the small snails, certh? maybe. It was the cleaner package so it was a large variety of snails and hermits. The algae isn't plague proportions so I figure if I can clean up the algae that's around the snails "should" be able to keep it down. I don't mind the tank having algae.. rather that than dinos or other shit :lol:. I never ran with enough cuc so I think that's how it got a little out of hand. Now that I have a decent sized crew and with me scrubbing and pulling stuff out I'm hoping it stays how it is now. Some spots are just a little hard to get at and it's grown taller than i'd like to see. My nitrates are generally around 10 +\- and phosphate usually around .1 ish. I don't test them as much as I probably should though. I love the overflow on water box, it's so easy to change out floss. I usually do it every couple days because it takes all of 3 secs. I've also been just taking the baster to the rocks and blowing of the algae in hopes it goes down the over flow. It works I guess

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
10 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Ā 

Have to say i have been "encouraging" mine by placing on the freshly trimmed algae, seems to be getting better and doing less and less manual removal (yay) I also find that I have to give them a time out in a breeder box for a couple of days, After that they're raring to go again

Yeah I think I should try and scoop them up and sprinkle them all over the rocks... They seem like they are never going to find the rockwork :lol:

• Like 1